Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) recovered to beat Stade Rennes 2-1 and lift the 2019 French Super Cup in Shenzhen on Saturday.
Substitute Angel Di Maria scored the winner with a spectacular free-kick and Kylian Mbappe was also on target for the Ligue 1 champions.
Adrien Hunou had given the French Cup winners the lead in spite of PSG’s dominance in the first half.
Thomas Tuchel’s side eventually earned the victory their superiority deserved, thanks to the second half goals from Mbappe and Di Maria.
PSG’s seventh successive Super Cup win is a record ——- eclipsing the six won by Olympque Lyonnais from 2002 to 2006.
It means they will start the defence of their Ligue 1 title in high spirits in spite of doubts over the future of playmaker Neymar.
The 27-year-old Brazil forward, who has been linked with a return to FC Barcelona, was watching the match from the stands of the Shenzhen Universiade Sports Centre stadium.
Neymar saw Rennes take a surprise 13th minute lead, seconds after PSG defender Thilo Kehrer had clipped the top of the crossbar with a header at the other end.
Hunou made no mistake for Rennes when he emerged unmarked to casually steer Benjamin Bourigeaud’s centre beyond Alphonse Areola with the inside of his left thigh.
It was a rare sight of goal in the opening 45 minutes for the French Cup winners, with PSG regularly threatening to level the scores but without success.
Pablo Sarabia’s long-range attempt arced away from goal before Edinson Cavani fired a free-kick off target, while Mbappe dragged a shot wide five minutes before half-time.
Cavani went closer just before the break, stabbing wide from inside the six-yard box when he reacted first to Tomas Koubek’s fumble.
The long-awaited equaliser came 12 minutes into the second half when Marquinhos lofted a perfectly-weighted ball which found Pablo Sarabia unmarked behind the Rennes defence.
His pass allowed Mbappe to score by slotting into an unguarded net.
Sarabia almost put PSG in front three minutes later when Mbappe’s tantalising ball across the face of the Rennes goal was unwittingly turned over the bar by the Spaniard.
PSG’s winner came 17 minutes from time.
Argentine Di Maria ——- introduced in the 61st minute for new signing Ander Herrera ——- hit a left-footed dipping curler over the wall beyond Koubek.(Reuters/NAN)
(Edited by Olawale Alabi)
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union