Mr Paul Okoh, an Abuja-based Dietician says camel milk is an alternative for people with cow milk allergy or lactose intolerance.
Okoh told the Nigeria News Agency , on Friday in Abuja, that camel milk had great nutrition that could also benefit babies.
“If you have cow milk allergy or intolerance, camel milk is a great option since it lacks the A1 casein protein and lactoglobulin, found in cow milk,” he said.
The Dietitian said that Camel milk was a natural pro biotic that was 50 per cent lower in regular and saturated fat than cow milk.
“It has 110 calories per serving, and five grams of protein, which makes up 10 per cent of the suggested daily intake of protein,” he explained.
He also noted that camel milk was packed with a handful of nutrients such as potassium, calcium, folate, phosphorus, thiamin, zinc and selenium.
According to Okoh, the composition of camel milk makes it closest to human milk compared to other animals, making it the safest feed for babies and children.
Okoh further explained that camel milk had enough nutrients to sustain a person through the day, adding that it could be used to treat malnourished children.
He also said camel milk with its high composition of monounsaturated fat, was recommended as safe for the heart and blood.
“It also contains A2 beta casein, which is different from A1 casein, found in most dairy milk. The A2 beta casein may be responsible for protective effects on the heart and immune system,” he said.
According to him, camel milk treats, prevents, and controls diabetes.
reports that Camel milk has supported Bedouins, nomads and pastoral cultures since the domestication of camels years ago.
Herders have been known to survive solely on the milk when taking the camels on long distance journeys through the desert and arid areas.
Edited by Nyisom Fiyigon Dore
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges