Connect with us

Health

Disease control centre activates 3 laboratories for disease outbreak samples

Published

on

Disease control centre activates 3 laboratories for disease outbreak samples

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), has activated three laboratories to test disease outbreak samples, its Director-General, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, said on Tuesday in Abuja.


Ihekweazu, who disclosed this during a media tour of the NCDC National Reference Laboratory in Gaduwa, Abuja, said that the three new laboratories were at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), and the NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Abuja.

He said that the laboratories would provide primary testing for yellow fever, measles and rubella diseases.

“The teaching hospitals where these laboratories are located will provide leadership, staff, power and water supply as well as other resources they will require to function,” he said.

The official said that the NCDC had the mandate to lead the coordination of public health laboratories by ensuring standardisation of testing methods, quality assurance, supply chain management as well as supporting preventive and corrective maintenance.

The NCDC boss said that the National Reference Laboratory was working toward full accreditation to serve as a reference laboratory for yellow fever.

“Three years ago, this place was just an empty building, but today, a lot has been put in place and we hope to replicate this capacity across the country.

“We are committed to strengthening our engagement with the media and using their platforms to communicate better with Nigerians,” he said.

He recalled that in 2017, Nigeria recorded an outbreak of yellow fever in Kwara, 21 years after the last case had been detected in the country.

“Since then, we have continued to record clusters of cases across the country

“Also in 2019, we recorded a high incidence of measles cases across the country, especially in Borno State in the North East.

“Prior to 2019, we had only four laboratories in the national yellow fever, measles and rubella laboratory network located at Maitama District Hospital, FCT, Yusuf Dansoho Memorial Hospital, Kaduna, Central Public Health Laboratory, Lagos and Gombe Specialist Hospital.

“There was no laboratory in the South-East and South-South with this capacity, putting a strain on other regions,” he recalled.

According to him, to build Nigeria’s capacity in line with global standards, NCDC, with support from its partners, included the three new laboratories in the national network as part of the global laboratory network.

“The support we provide to these laboratories is in partnership with the World Health Organisation, Resolve to Save Lives, US Centres for Disease Control, GAVI, and others.

“At the national level, we have continued to work closely with our sister agencies like the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), and the National Arbovirus and Vector Research Centre (NAVRC), toward the prevention of and response to yellow fever outbreaks,” he said.

Prof. Darlington Obaseki, Chief Medical Director, UBTH, in a remark, pledged commitment to ensuring that the required leadership and resources were provided to ensure full functionality of the laboratory.

Also speaking, UNTH representative, Mrs. Chioma Benjamin-Puja, an Assistant Director, Medical Laboratory Services, said that the institution had advocated inclusion for a long period of time given the incidence of yellow fever in some parts of the South-East.

“The new laboratory for the South-East will greatly reduce turnaround time for testing of sample and eliminating time spent in sending samples to Lagos or FCT.

“We are very grateful for this opportunity and express our full and strong commitment to ensure that the laboratory serves its purpose,” she said.

Edited by: Folasade Adeniran and Ephraims Sheyin

Abujah Racheal: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

Only teachers resume in public secondary schools in Nsukka

Published

on


Students in exit classes in public secondary schools in Nsukka, Enugu State were yet  to resume classes as only teachers were present in schools visited, News Agency of Nigeria reports.


Some of the secondary schools visited by NAN included Urban Girls Secondary School, Nsukka, Urban Boys Secondary School Nsukka , St Catherine Comprehensive Secondary School and Ejiofor Secondary School.

Mrs Roseline Abugu,  the Principal of Urban Girls secondary school told NAN in Nsukka on Monday that  Enugu State Ministry of Education directed that only  teachers in public schools  should resume on August 4.

Abugu said this was to enable teachers to help to put in place  all the COVID-19 protocols required  before students would be allowed to resume.

“We are  expecting some people  from Enugu State Government  that will fumigate the school compound today.

“In my meeting this morning with staff, we have arranged for the clearing of grasses in the compound, provided hand washing buckets, soap and sanitizers in strategic locations inside school compounds and classrooms.

“To ensure physical distancing,  no classroom will contain more than 20 students,”she said.

The principal said some students who resumed  school were sent back home pending when the state government would approve for students to resume.

‘The State Education Ministry says it will inform us when exit students will resume,” she said.

The story was the same at  Urban Boys Secondary School Nsukka.

At Ejiofor Secondary School, Nsukka, a private school,  the Principal Mr Casmir Ozioko said students of the school would resume Aug. 10 as staff of the school would use this week to put all necessary arrangements in place.

‘Only teachers resume today, we will use this week to fumigate the compound, clear grasses as well as put all Nigeria Centre for Disease control (NCDC) required protocols in place before allowing exit class students to come back  next week,” he said.

However, the story was different at St Catherine Comprehensive Secondary School Nsukka owned by Nsukka Catholic Diocese  where students have resumed.

The school principal, Rev. Sis. Mary-Immaculate Idoko, told NAN that the school was fumigated  last Saturday and all NCDC required protocols had been put in place.

“All students in exit classes after morning assembly today attended a brief seminar organized by the school.

Idoko explained that the aim of the seminar was to teach students on how  to maintain personal hygiene, physical distance as well as wearing of face mask and washing of hands.

“All students, staff and visitors coming into the school compound must wear face mask and wash hands at the gate.

“We have put necessary measures in place to ensure the  safety of our students, till the end of their exams,” she said.

Edited By: Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences man to 1 year imprisonment for impersonation

Published

on


A Gwagwalada Chief Magistrates’ Court, FCT on Tuesday sentenced one Ja’afar Adamu to one year imprisonment for impersonating as a staff of the State Security Service (SSS).


Adamu of Egume village, Dekina LGA of  Kogi, had pleaded guilty to the two-count charge of impersonation and forgery preferred against him.

The Magistrate, Aliyu Shafa, however sentenced Adamu to six months imprisonment for each offence or an option of N5,000 fine for each offence.

Shafa cited the Holy Bible and Quran to buttress his sentencing, adding that he was satisfied with the evidences given by the defence witnesses about the good character of the defendant.

He said the punishment would serve as a deterrent to anyone planning to trail that part in the future.

Shafa also warned Adamu to desist from committing crimes and be of good behaviour.

Earlier, the defence counsel, Khalid Salaw, pleaded with the court to tamper justice with mercy, adding that the defendant was a family man with four children and a pregnant wife.

Salaw said that the defendant was a first offender and had no criminal record or arrest in the past.

The defence counsel told the court that the defendant had learnt his lessons and would not repeat the act in future.

The prosecutor counsel, Victor Ejelonu told the court that the defendant cheated by impersonating as a staff of SSS at varying locations within Abuja while conveying passengers.

Ejelonu said that the defendant also forged the identity card of SSS with his name and logo of the SSS, FCT with force No. FCA332449.

He said that the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 321 and 363 of the Penal Code.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Obike Ukoh (NAN)

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Man in court for allegedly stealing 3 cell phones worth N180, 000

Published

on


A 20-year-old man, Kelvin Sashak, on Tuesday appeared in a Life Camp Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing three cell phones worth N180,000 and other items.


The police charged Sashak, who resides at no 25 Bamako Street Wuse Zone 1, Abuja, with two counts of joint act and theft.

The Police Prosecutor, ASP Peter Ejike, FCT Command, Abuja, told the court that Mr Nivea Momoh who resides at Bamako Street Wuse Zone 1, Abuja, reported the matter at the Wuse Zone 3 Police Station on May 10.

Ejike alleged that the defendant and one Innocent, currently at large,  entered into the complainant’s room and stole three cell phones and other personal belongings.

The Prosecutor alleged that the items stolen are two Nokia phones valued at N50,000 each, a “British” mobile phone valued at N80, 000, a Nigerian and British passports, National identity card, shoes, belts and clothes.

He said the offence contravenes the provisions of section 79 and 287 of the Penal Code.

The defendant however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Magistrate Chinyere   Nwecheonwu in her ruling admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N200, 000 and one surety in like sum.

Nwecheonwu ordered that the surety be resident within the jurisdiction of the court and should deposit a valid means of Identification which must be verified by the court registrar.

She adjourned the matter until Aug. 31, for hearing.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Scavenger in court for allegedly stealing generator set

Published

on


A scavenger, Sani Abubakar, on Tuesday appeared in Magistrates’ court in Kuje, FCT, for allegedly stealing a generator set valued at N45, 000.


Abubakar, 25, who resides at Anguwan Mada Area of Kuje, is charged with house breaking and theft.

The prosecutor, Doris Okoroba, told the court that a resident of the area, Micheal Denis, reported the matter at the Kuje police station on Aug. 2.

Okoroba alleged that Abubakar broke into Denis’ house pretending to gather scrap materials within the compound.

She alleged that the defendant he broke into the complainants house and stole the generator set.

The offence, she said,  contravened the provisions of sections 96 and 287 of the Penal Code.

Meanwhile, Abubakar pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Magistrate Jim Taribo admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N50, 000 with a surety in like sum.

Taribo adjourned the case until Aug. 26 for hearing.

Edited By: Azubuike Okeh/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Court remands 2 men for alleged unlawful possession of gun, threat to life Ogun schools comply with COVID-19 protocols as students resume Only teachers resume in public secondary schools in Nsukka Sales representative docked for alleged impersonation FIRS clarifies NIPOST’s stamp duty claims We stand by elections we conducted, Anambra FA Electoral Committee says Ex-CBN director urges FG to intensify efforts to strengthen nation’s economy Kano State Fire Service saves 98 lives, N52m properties in July Spain records lower unemployment in July Court remands motorcyclist for allegedly abducting, defiling minor Employee absconds with employer’s N199, 500 Cambodia eases entry requirements for foreigners on business trips Gombe Govt approves 230 hectares of land for establishment of Air Force Operational Base National policy on virtual meeting draft document ready, says Minister Bandit attack: Katsina IDPs appreciate Buhari for relief items Gov. Fintiri begins construction of 2 flyovers, township roads in Yola Philippine capital, surrounding provinces return to lockdown Sagbama LG Chairman’s father regains freedom after 3 months in kidnappers den NCS conference showcasing emerging applications, technology in achieving 4IR for sustainable development Study shows number of COVID-19 cases in Italy higher than expected Federer pays surprise visit to rooftop tennis girls German soldiers set sail for five-month Libyan arms embargo mission Lack of good COVID-19 Test-Trace System can lead to 2nd wave – UK scientists Beijing warns United States of consequences of demanding sale of TikTok to United States coy Court sentences man to 1 year imprisonment for impersonation Court remands 2 persons for alleged armed robbery Man in court for allegedly stealing 3 cell phones worth N180, 000 COVID-19: NGO donates protective equipment to hospitals in Kogi Scavenger in court for allegedly stealing generator set 2 killed in crash-landing of small cargo plane in southwest Somalia – Reports Buhari presides over Security Council meeting Mental adjustment crucial in return to court, says Yastremska Farmer laments over difficulties in disposal of poultry waste in Lagos More than 1bn school children worldwide affected by COVID-19, says UN Chief Red Cross calls for grassroots sensitisation on activities in Niger Pedro undergoes surgery for shoulder injury Amnesty accuses United States police of human rights abuses Expert decries deficiency in management of students with disabilities BEDC set to construct 33KV Okpella-Igara power line in Edo Iran to fine infringement of coronavirus measures Group advises rape survivors to take PEP after 72 hours Senator calls for deployment of more policemen to areas under bandits attacks 4 in court over alleged criminal conspiracy, intimidation Court remands “spiritualist” for allegedly obtaining N2m from woman Police arrest 2 nurses for allegedly stealing newborn baby in Katsina  Woman stopped at German airport with husband’s bones in luggage China’s Qingdao appoint Wu as head coach to replace Machin Police begin investigation into alleged killing of youth in Delta Court dissolves 3-year-old marriage over alleged deception, laziness APC UK optimistic of Diezani’s prosecution by British Government