A don, Prof. Maduabuchi Dukor, has urged African leaders to promote the propagation of indigenous cultural values in the quest to tackle corruption.
Dukor, the Head of Philosophy Department at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday.
He said all schools’ curricula should include African moral values as a subject for impact on pupils and students.
“The good old days of oath taking before deities instilled fear in Africans and then made office holders to be upright and honest,” he said.
According to the don, working on people’s mindset would restore African culture which respects hard work and discourage the nefarious quest for instant wealth by youths.
“It should start in all stages of schooling and this calls for review of their respective curriculum that is a handout from the western world,” he said.
Dukor, however, commended the zeal of President Muhammadu Buhari in fighting corruption using the fundamental principles of life.
“Since Nigeria is not an island unto herself and for international best practices to be followed, President Muhammadu Buhari is trying his best in fighting corruption by setting a panel to try the country’s number one corruption fighter.
” The message being sent is for every other person to know that government is staging a revolution against corruption following the rule of law,” he said.
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)
- Barca’s Pique calls for wholesale changes after “shameful” defeat
- INEC seeks stakeholders collaboration in instituting electoral transparency
- Bayern Munich must stay grounded in spite of Barca demolition, coach says
- FC Barcelona’s Umtiti tests positive for COVID-19
- Bauchi Gov. condoles family of murdered lawmaker, Mante
- Football united behind Infantino, FIFA general secretary says
- Council approves health care provision fund guideline
- Labour ministry denies complicity in human trafficking
- UN ‘strongly condemns’ rights abuses in Cameroon
- Tourism operators reveal Top 10 romantic destinations for honeymoon in Nigeria