Connect with us

Religion

Don’t beg for living, cleric counsels Muslims

Published

on

A Muslim cleric, Abdulmumeen Hanafi, on Tuesday in Ilorin advised Muslims to desist from begging as a means of livelihood.

Hanafi, who gave the advice in his Ramadan lecture entitled, “Begging in Islam,” said there were various sayings and actions of Prophet Muhammad which warned against begging for a living.

The cleric, who is also a lecturer at the College of Arabic and Islamic Studies (CAILS) in Ilorin, lamented the rate at which people now indulge in begging for a living.

He, however, warned Muslims not to reproach beggars if they approach them for alms.

“Either donate something or speak what is good or politely excuse yourself,” he said.

Hanafi also urged well-to-do individuals in the society to assist indigent persons to engage in lucrative ventures as a means of livelihood so that poverty would reduce.

The cleric further urged Muslims to arm themselves with education, saying night Quranic classes had now become unfashionable.

He said many now engage in watching football matches in the night instead of attending Quranic classes.

(
Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Fatima Mohammed: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Foreign

Indonesian big cities likely enter new normal phase early June with declining COVID-19 infection rate

Published

on

The Indonesian capital of Jakarta and other big cities are very likely to enter a new normal phase in the beginning of June as the country is seeking to a pickup in business activities.

Indonesian Chief Economic Minister Airlangga Hartarto said on Wednesday that Jakarta, which is also a business hub in the country, and six other provinces will be ready for the new normal scenario implementation after June 4.

The readiness for shifting to the new phase was backed up by the subdued infection rate in the provinces, said the minister.

The infection level is gauged by a basic reproduction number (R0). R0 settling at below 1 suggests that the number of new infection be classified as low.

“Based on the R0 measurement, some provinces have heralded readiness for a new normal after June 4,” he said.

For the new phase, Hartarto asked the provincial administrations to prepare health protocols before reopening economic activities in their areas.

Security forces will enforce the rules in the protocols to ensure that people will abide by them, said Hartarto.

Indonesia has dispatched almost 350,000 soldiers and policemen to transport facilities, mall shopping centers, tourist destinations and other spots where mass may gather to ensure the health protocols well implemented.

The minister said that the strong enforcement of the rules aimed at preventing the second surge of the COVID-19 infection in the country, which could abort the implementation of the new normal scenario.

In addition to the capital city and other provinces, as many as 110 other cities and districts across the country classified in the green zone have no infection case so far, meaning they are also ready with the new normal scenario, he said.

Previously, the COVID-19 Task Force’s Chief Doni Monardo offered relaxation of partial lockdown rules to allow reopening of the economic activities.

Although the infection cases in some other provinces remain staying afloat, as a whole the number of daily infection cases has drifted down from the record high of nearly 1,000 cases recently, according to the Health Ministry.

As of Wednesday, the ministry reported 686 new daily cases, bringing the total to 23,851 with 1,473 fatalities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia to scale up test, detection of COVID-19 in East Java province

Published

on

Indonesia will scale up test and detection of the COVID-19 cases in East Java province which has appeared to be a new hot spot of the virus.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo told a cabinet meeting on Wednesday that the province must be put on a priority along with other provinces as the cases there have leaped as of late.

The president emphasized the importance of massive tests and tracing of the people under monitoring and surveillance.

Besides imposing tight isolation procedures, the implementation of the health protocol should also be carried out, the president said.

To enforce the large-scale social restriction rules along with the physical distancing, the president said, soldiers and policemen will be deployed to these provinces.

“For the areas whose (COVID-19) curves keep on the rise, East Java for instance, we will add more personnel to them, so that the curves can be flattened.”

A day earlier, the Indonesian government decided to dispatch nearly 350,000 security personnel to force the to public take proper precautions on the spread of the virus and abide by rules of the partial lockdowns.

“We insist on moving into a new normal scenario. We want awareness and strong discipline of the people so that the virus infection rate can be obliterated,” said the president.

Regarding the post celebration of the Islamic festivity of Eid al-Fitr, the president warned against the second surge of the virus infection as hundreds of thousands of people are expected to return to the cities after celebrating the annual tradition in their hometowns or villages.

The COVID-19 has killed 1,473 people in Indonesia and infected 23,851 others, the Health Ministry said on Wednesday.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

General news

Aregbesola’s ‘Opon Imo’ tablet still relevant in COVID-19 era – UK-based don

Published

on

A lecturer at Coventry University, UK, Dr Alim Abubakre, has praised the Minister of Interior, Mr Rauf Aregbesola, for his foresight in introducing an educational computer tablet, “Opon Imo” while he was governor of Osun.
According to Abubakre, who is also the founder and a non-executive Chair of TEXEM, UK, a leading consultancy firm focusing on Africa, the tablet is still relevant for virtual learning by Nigerian students, especially in this era of COVID-19 pandemic.
A statement issued on Wednesday in Abuja by Caroline Lucas, Director of Special Projects, Texem, quoted Abubakre as stating this in his contributions at a virtual colloquium to mark the minister’s 63th birthday.
The don noted that the fact that the device, which Aregbesola saw as critical to learning some eight years ago, was still very useful today, was a pointer to the visionary leadership of the former governor.
Abubakre, an advisory board member of London Business School Africa Society, said that to be an effective leader, one needed to embrace what he called a growth-mindset.
In these turbulent times, he said that virtual learning was rapidly becoming the norm, adding that possession of digital credentials was integral to modern-day success in any endeavour.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Abubakre, who spoke on the topic: “Beyond Survival: Leading for Success in Turbulent Times”, argued that effective and strategic leadership remained the bane of Nigeria’s progress.
While listing what he called four strands of leadership to include self, team, organisational and societal, he shared insights into how to enhance the leadership quotient across the strands.
While responding to one of the questions raised by the participants, Aregbesola, whose birthday was being celebrated, said the “Opon Imo concept universalises education.”
NAN reports that other participants at the virtual colloquium included Mr Kurtis Adigba, a board member of the International Association of Political Consultants and Dr Rabiat Akande of Harvard University.
Adigba, also a renowned television political analyst in Nigeria, while speaking during the event, said being proactive was one of the critical qualities of good leadership.
Although she said that the border closure as well as the ban placed on food importation by President Muhammadu Buhari might have attracted criticism, Adigba, however, stressed that the two policies were was proactive and timely.
Akande, who spoke on data and its importance in managing emergencies, advocated for proactive data collection, as part of comprehensive planning for emergencies.
She urged the National Assembly to legislate on data privacy and collection, just as she urged the lawmakers to seek ways of adapting such laws to the country’s peculiarity.
NAN also reports that the colloquium, with its theme: “Leadership in Emergencies: Planning as Foundation for National Survival”, was organised by Proumou Media Consulting, a Lagos-based media strategy firm and chaired by Hon. Semiu Okanlawon.
Aregbesola’s birthday was on May 25.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

General news

NGO donates nose masks, books to children in Plateau

Published

on

An NGO, International Committee on Nigeria (ICON), has donated nose masks, exercise books and other writing materials to 250 vulnerable children of Miango in Iregwe Chiefdom of Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau.

Presenting the items to the children on Wednesday in Miango, Mr Xphyongo Nebanat, National Correspondent of the Organisation in Nigeria, said the gesture was part of its activities marking the 2020 Children’s Day celebrations.

The national correspondent explained that the beneficiaries, who were living in abject poverty, were drawn from eight communities in the area.

According to Nebanat, the gesture is also aimed at stemming down the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), particularly among children in rural communities.

He noted that the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic is a collective one, hence the need for all and sundry to support government’s efforts in curbing the spread through aggressive sensitisation.

“We have gathered over 250 vulnerable children here from  eight communities in Iregwe chiefdom, first to sensitise them on preventive measures against COVID-19 and to also distribute nose masks to them.

“We chose today because we are marking children’s day and it’s also our way of celebrating with these kids and giving them hope, because these are kids whose parents were killed in many of the crises that engulfed the chiefdom in recent times.

“Aside the nose masks, we have also distributed exercise books and other writing materials to the children, to enable them learn at home, pending when schools will open,” he said.

Nebanat called on government at all levels to ensure aggressive and robust sensitisation against the dreaded disease at the rural areas.

He said that community transmission would be more deadly if nothing was done.

 The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the beneficiaries were drawn from Rotsu, Ancha, Nkiedoworo, Hukke, Jiri, chinye, Miango central and Hausa communities of Iregwe chiefdom.

NAN also reports that the chiefdom had in the past years faced the challenge of insecurity, a situation that led to loss of lives and property.

Edited By: Oluwole Sogunle (NAN)

Continue Reading

Education

Children’s Day: Don seeks more funds for public education

Published

on

A don, Dr Dipo Akomolafe, has  appealed to the Federal Government to sink more funds into public education in order to secure the future of Nigerian children.

Akomolafe, a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Sciences, Olusegun Agagu University of Science and Technology (OAUTECH) Okitipupa,Ondo State, made the call on Wednesday while speaking on the 2020 Children’s Day celebration.

He  told the News Agency of Nigeria in Okitipupa that education remained the best legacy for children.

The don, however,  noted that the ideals of education were gradually being eroded with the inroad being made by the private sector.

He said that the incursion of the private sector into the education system was almost making it impossible for the children of the poor to be educated.

According to him, the government needs  to provide more funds for education to make it affordable for  children from all walks of life.

He said government also needed to rise up to the challenges of providing security, healthcare and employment in order to ensure that children’s safety, comfort and future were guaranteed.

The don said that the future belonged to children and whatever was inculcated in them would define their future.

(
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Don’t engage children in illicit businesses, Ekiti council urges parents

Published

on

Mr Foluso Ojo, the Chairman of Oye Local Government Council in Ekiti, has urged parents to refrain from engaging their children in  illicit businesses.

Ojo made the plea in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Oye-Ekiti against  the backdrop of Wednesday’s  Children’s Day celebration.

He said children were gifts from God and should always be given proper care and treatment.

Ojo said that it was wrong for children to hawk goods when they ought to be studying.

“I want to sincerely warn parents who are fond of engaging their children in illicit businesses to desist from such act.

“The state government forbids the use of children to hawk rice, tomatoes and other food stuff on the road when they ought to be studying in their various homes.

“Any child found hawking on the road will be picked up and the parent of such a child will be sanctioned.

“We do not want to see children selling facemask by the road side, they are meant to stay at home during this period,” he said.

Ojo also appealed to parents to make their children happy and feel special during and after Wednesday’s celebration.

(
Edited By: Joe Idika/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Children’s Day: Monarch’s wife donates palliatives to school for blind in Ekiti

Published

on

Wife of the traditional ruler of Apomu in Osun, Olori Janet Afolabi, has donated face masks and noodles to the children of Government Special School for the blind, Ikere-Ekiti.

Presenting the items on Wednesday in Ikere-Ekiti, Ikere Local Government Area (LGA), Afolabi said many families find it difficult to feed their children following the effect of the COVID-19.

She explained that her decided to focus on the children was because of their plight, especially at this time of the COVID–19 pandemic, ravaging the world.

Her Royal Highness said that many communities in Apomu Land, in Isokan LGA of the state had benefited from the gesture.

“I decided to extend the kindness to students of the School for the Blind, Ikere-Ekiti because of their special needs.

“We have distributed cartoons of noodles to indigent children in Apomu community. The packages were given to the children in their various suburbs.

“We are also extending act of kindness to some blind children in Ekiti today by donating 100 face masks and cartoons of noodles to Government Special School of the Blind in Ikere Ekiti,’’ she said.

She, however, assured the school that the gift package was not a one-off exercise, adding that it would be done intermittently.

“As we celebrate 2020 Children’s Day, we should remember children in need and put a smile on their faces. We should give them hope for a greater tomorrow,” she added.

She also tasked parents and caregivers on the need to keep their children safe during this pandemic, urging them to educate their children on regular hand washing and social distancing.

Receiving the items on behalf of the students, Mr Funso Olajide, the Secretary of People Living With Disabilities (PLWD), Ekiti chapter, thanked the donor for the gesture.

Olajide, who is also the Coordinator of an NGO, Disability Not A Barrier Initiative (DINABI), promised that the items would be used for the purpose they were meant for.

Edited By: Edwin Nwachukwu/Felix Ajide (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 686 new COVID-19 cases, 55 new deaths

Published

on

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 686 within one day to 23,851, with the death toll adding by 55 to 1,473, Achmad Yurianto, a health ministry official, said at a press conference here on Wednesday.

According to him, 180 more people had been discharged from hospitals, making the total number of recovered patients stand at 6,057.

The pandemic has spread to all the 34 provinces in the country.

Authorities have been conducting rapid tests in areas where cases were detected, and ordering the public to always wear masks.

The Indonesian government is planning to deploy at least 340,000 military and police personnel in 1,800 places, such as shopping malls, traditional markets, tourism spots and other places with high traffic, in four provinces as well as 25 regencies and cities.

The plan was made in support of the stricter implementation of the large-scale social distancing regulation and in preparation for the so-called “new normal”.

Last week, the governor of the country’s capital Jakarta Anies Baswedan decided to prolong the regulation in the city, home to some 10 million people, for the third time. The restriction will end on June 4.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: Ooni donates fumigator, cash to UCH Ibadan

Published

on

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, has donated a modular motorised fumigator to the management of the University College Hospital (UCH), Ibadan.

Oba Ogunwusi presented the donation in his palace, Ile-Ife on Tuesday.

The Ooni applauded the country’s healthcare workers for being hardworking and committed in the fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

He said that the fumigator would assist the hospital in the fight against COVID-19.

The royal father described health workers as an ‘unbreakable’ army of patriotic Nigerians.

He advised that Nigeria’s hospital system should be strengthened towards productivity, especially in cases of emergency.

“Let’s take the UCH Ibadan, where my late mum served for 42 years as a case study, it used to be the best in Africa and beyond,’’ Ooni said.

He said that it might surprise some people to hear that the Saudi Arabia royal family and other prominent people globally had patronised UCH in the past.

“Where did we miss it?

“We must, as a matter of public importance, come together and restore the lost glories of our healthcare sector.

“That is when we will have a lot to show as lessons from COVID-19.’’

The royal father also made a cash donation to the hospital for the construction of the ‘Wuraola Ogunwusi Cancer Chemotherapy Centre’ in memory of his late mum.

“Mama Wuraola Ogunwusi was a good woman, she built me and helped our entire lineage.

“She spent her whole life there and died there, I will never forget UCH.

“I am available and ready to assist the hospital to grow,’’ Ooni added.

While receiving the gifts, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Prof. Abiodun Otegbayo, thanked the monarch for the gesture and his unending assistance to the hospital.

“Kabiyesi, we are proud of you and we shall continue to look up to you as a father.

“We hold the gifts in high esteem and we will make use of them appropriately; we are grateful sir,’’ Otegbayo said

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading