The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), Abeokuta Field Office, has donated 40 units of 12.5 kg gas cylinders to the food vendors of the Federal Government Home Grown School Feeding Programme in Ogun.
She said it was also to among other things, alleviate the suffering and bring a new lease of life to the vendors who are accustomed to using fire woods and charcoal to do their cooking.
Bello-Zagi said that DPR embarked on the awareness programme to enlighten food vendors and the general public on the advantages of using gas to cook.
She argued that gas is safer and environmental friendly compared to charcoal and fire wood.
“We learnt that some of them (food vendors and caterers) have been using charcoal and firewood and as we all know, charcoal and fire wood do have some negative impact on the environment and the health, so we decided to create this awareness to promote the use of LPG among them.
“We also want to create awareness on the safe use of gas cylinders; how to operate it, how to maintain the cylinder and what to watch out for before buying a cylinder.
“Also to create awareness on what to do when there is any issue with the cylinder, where to go and how to get it repaired,” she explained.
Bello-Zagi urged gas users to always patronise DPR licensed gas plants whenever they want to fill their cylinders and desist from patronising unlicensed road side gas vendors to avoid fire accidents.
The Chairperson of the vendors, Mrs Olanike Okeleye, who responded on behalf of her colleagues, commended the DPR for the gesture, saying the awareness programme was not only interesting, but also useful for the vendors and caterers.
Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Isaac Aregbesola
Watch Live News
Make A Comment
- Abia CP confirms arrest of 3 suspected kidnappers in Obingwa
- COVID-19: WHO recommends appropriate use of PPE for health workers
- Coronavirus: South Africa has 1170 confirmed cases (27 March)
- COVID-19: Abia Warriors extend break to April 7
- COVID-19 : Why I’m in self-isolation – Gov. Makinde
- Modes of transmission of virus causing COVID-19: implications for IPC precaution recommendations
- COVID-19: Dala Orthopaedic attending to only emergencies – MD
- NEPWHAN describes Gov. Bello’s comment on HIV/AIDS as stigmatisation
- Lagos Govt makes U-turn, suspends 5 months closure of Marine Bridge
- Don’t open Churches for services on Sunday in Osun, PFN begs pastors