The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has officially handed over the Oil Mining Licence (OML) 98 to the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
Speaking at the hand-over on Friday in Abuja, Mr Sarki Auwalu, DRP Director and Chief Executive Officer, said that the licence was revoked from its operators Pan Ocean oil corporation over non remittance of royalties.
The acreage was originally awarded to Pan Ocean in 1971 as OPL 71 and was converted into OML 98 in 1975. Production from the JV started in 1976
OML 98 is an asset that is prolific.
The 2P reserve is about 43 million barrels with 20 million barrels of condensates, with over 383 billion SCF of gas.
These assets is supposed to work.
“There is an obligation for each and every company that they need to pay to government; and the first line charge is royalty. If a company is not paying royalty, it means the company is not performing.
“So government is invoke its own right to revoke the asset and give it to somebody that would pay that royalty to the Nigerian people; because royalty is what Nigerians really take out of the business.
“All the investors they would come, we would give them opportunities by giving them the assets; they would put in their money and they would give certain royalties, concession rentals and other revenue to government.
”That is really what government takes from the asset, the resource; whether it is oil, condensates or gas.The reason for the revocation is failure to meet obligations of that asset to government,’’ he said
He said that five other licences that were revoked alongside OML 98 were revoked for the same reason adding that government was looking at for the best people to transfer the assets to for maximum utilisation and benefits.
“Why, because, we want the assets to work and we want Nigerian people to benefit from the resources they were blessed with ,so, the fate of the others will be similar to this and government is looking at the best way to operate the assets for Nigerians to benefits.’’ he added
He said that NPDC got the asset for its proven confidence in operations over the years.
“This is a company that 15 years ago they could not show to drill up to 10,000 barrels but now, our NPDC can produced over 150 million barrel per day .
“It shows that now, Nigeria has come of age, we have company of our own, 100 per cent Nigerians, operate by Nigerians and work for Nigeria and we are ready to transport skills.
“NPDC have fantastic good skills, there is no white man working in NPDC, drilling, production 100 per cent Nigeria, we are proud of them and we need to support them. This is our own made in Nigeria, by Nigeria and for Nigeria,’’ he said.
According to him, that is why government thought it wise handing over the OML 98 to them as it is our own company to make sure that Nigeria works.
He noted that the handing over of the assets to NPDC means that Nigeria oil and gas sector had grown adding that the policy idea was to ensure that Nigeria take charge of its resources.
Auwalu urged the company to be responsible and ensure that it operated with ultimate transparency and develop the asset for the benefit of Nigeria.
He noted that government would not spare any body found wanting
Ferdnard Bariwer, General Manager Exploration and Development Division, NPDC said that the company would look at the asset and sort the best things to do to move forward.
“I strongly believe that we are doing more studies already, other activities; we will look at the OMLs and see the quick wins to start producing as soon as possible to meet the expectation of the nation.
“I assure you, I have been in NPDC since 1987 and I know the capability that we have , I assure you the government and everybody that NPDC is capable of handling the OML,’’ he said
He said that currently the company was producing about 200,000 barrel and working hard to move to between 300 and 500 barrel per day.
“Before the year will run, you will hear from us how much we are producing,’’ he said.
Bariwe represented the Managing Director of NPDC, Mansur Sambo.
Also, Mr Olajide Ishola, Chief Operation Officer Pan Ocean Oil Corporation said that the asset was given to Pan Ocean 1973 and production started in 1976.
“So, we have operated the asset for 43 years, we are a responsible company , however, as thing went the way it went, this revocation is really not new as its been done since March last year.
“ Today, is not a sad day, because since March last year that the revocation has been done, a lot of things has been left in limbo.
”This meeting of today sets the tone for the handover and the future of the asset, and also for those things left in limbo, like what do we do to the staff; the oil that has been produced, that was warehoused and not sold, not shared and all t he rest.
“I want to reiterate that as Pan Ocean, we will cooperate with NPDC and all relevant stakeholders to ensure that the directive is carried out for the benefit of Nigerians,’’ he said
Commenting on the Legacy debts, he said it would d be worked on and sorted by the NPDC as the new operator.
“We would work along and cooperate with them to ensure it is done properly,’’ he added.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
- Call for proposals – Innovative Projects for Civil Society and Coalition of Actors (PISCCA) “Five Eleven, Coalition for Women” Second phase of selection- 2020
- Ethiopia races against time to control locusts as the planting season starts
- His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed meets Algerian Army Chief of Staff at UMEX 2020
- Sports Commission chairman seeks Gombe House of Assembly’s support for financial autonomy
- Man docked for allegedly slapping policeman in Osun
- Bill to confer immunity on presiding officers passes 2nd reading
- Imposed tough visa rules: Experts task FG on improved homeland security
- Birds go missing in South Africa’s Million Dollar Pigeon Race
- Reps query NIMASA over claims on management accounts
- CORRECTION: African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Kano State Govt plans integrated transportation system
- MACBAN suspends former Bauchi chief scribe
- Minimum wage: Workers in Enugu pay ‘thank you visit’ to Gov. Ugwuanyi
- UBEC partners UNICEF to train mobilisation staff, desk officers
- Buhari lauds Akeredolu over industrial hub, N5bn Ore flyover
- Carpenter in court over alleged breach of trust, cheating
- Education, digital literacy panacea for hate speech
- Zamfara APC holds special prayer sessions
- World Bank spends more than $580m on ACE projects in West, Central Africa
- Man, 35, docked over alleged unlawful dealing in 2.3kg of illicit drug
- Haulage: Senate investigates compliance to road safety laws
- Footballer’s killing: Police disband Zonal Intervention Squad in Ogun
- LG Elections: Police warn against violence in Enugu
- We are making huge stride against terrorists in NE –Buratai
- Senate probes non-remittance of taxes to state governments
- World Rugby 7s Challenger Series Recap
- Centres record 2, 500 conflict cases resolved by traditional rulers in Adamawa
- 20-yr-old bags 6 months jail term for cyber crime
- Woman in court for stealing N345, 930 from employer
- Turkey says 132 on flight from Iran to be quarantined
- Lawmakers pledge support for NAFDAC
- Exposure to domestic violence damages children mentally, emotionally – Psychiatrist
- Man, 37, docked for allegedl impersonation, N1.5m. fraud
- Afreximbank, FCI collaborate on factoring in SMEs financing
- EFCC arraigns Polaris bank staff for allegedly stealing customer’s N12.6m
- Kidnapping, Banditry: Nasarawa Assembly passes witness protection bill
- Court remands man over alleged fraudulent collection of 20 bags of rice
- Iranian official tasked with coronavirus response says he is infected
- Trump says stock markets will crash if he loses election
- Physical conditions of older persons can affect their mental health, says expert
- Wife drags husband to court for calling her ”prostitute”
- Challenges of menstruation and hygiene management among young girls
- Egyptian presidency mourns Mubarak as ‘hero’ of war with Israel
- World Bank executes N20bn water projects in Bauchi
- Update: German prosecutors urge security review for carnival parades
- NITDA urges private sector companies to implement National Digital Economy Policy
- Netanyahu says will press ahead with E-1 settlement project in West Bank
- Court remands ex-convict for allegedly stealing cell phone
- Pakistani anti-military activist released after bail
- Keffi will be transformed into befitting gateway -Gov Sule
- Zailani emerges Kaduna Assembly Speaker
- Singapore bans visitors who have traveled to virus-hit areas in South Korea
- Leadership Vanguard lauds 9th Assembly for harmonious relations with Executive
- Woman in court for refusing to pay N441,700 night club bills
- FG holds campaign against visa ban in U.S.
- Providing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for Gambian Shipwreck Survivors
- Eight men put to death in mass execution
- 7 die in violent citizenship law protests in Delhi as Trump visits
- Don’t lie in your Code of Conduct forms, political office holders cautioned
- Buhari greets Sir Marc Wabara at 69
- Young Blitzboks know all about patience and determination
- Court strikes out cheating charge for lack of diligent prosecution
- Man detained for filming car ramming incident at German Carnival
- Towards advancing green business and circular economy in Africa
- Virus ‘literally knocking at the door’, WHO warns countries
- European court approves deportation of Sikh families to Afghanistan
- Court finds Olisa Metuh guilty on 7 counts of N400m money laundering
- Energy centre urges lawmakers, institutions to patronise its renewable energy products
- Japan, China, and S. Korea see rising coronavirus-related infections
- Reconstitute Federal Character Commission management, Senate tells Buhari
- EU ministers to approve negotiating mandate for UK trade talks
- Championing the Fight Against Infertility Stigmatization, the Melody Voice of Pres. Weah (By Hawa Dolley)
- Cross River Govt. to partner FG to boost solid mineral sector
- Scrap collector docked for allegedly stealing items worth N238,000
- German police confirm 18 children injured in car accident in Volkmarsen
- A World Rugby Training in Mauritian schools
- More than 400 Filipinos from Japanese cruise ship to return home – Foreign ministry
- Immunisation officers applaud Ugwuanyi for prompt, regular payment of stipend
- Insurgency: Senate seeks re-establishment of military base in Sambisa borders
- UNGA president tasks member countries, stakeholders to focus attention on human rights issues
- Court remands man for allegedly defiling 4-year-old daughter
- Coronavirus outbreak spreads to Italy’s south; EU to discuss response
- Union wants Bauchi State Govt. to review redistribution policy of health workers
- Nadal feels at home in Acapulco as he returns to action
- No justice as journalist Kabendera slapped with heavy fines after months in jail
- Businessman bags 5 years jail for theft
- Former Egyptian president, Hosni Mubarak, dies at 91
- Trader bags 2 years in prison for stealing ram
- Court dissolves 3-year-old marriage over irreconcilable differences
- Nigerian graduates need more than book knowledge for gainful employment- Expert
- Court jails 3 men for assaulting policemen
- U.S. diplomat criticises EU’s stance towards rule of law in Poland
- Ekiti LG pledges to promote grassroots sports
- Zamfara Govt donates N10m to fire victims
- NBA roundup: Bucks overcome Wizards, Beal (55 points) in OT
- NAPTIP to intensify war against human traffickers in Lagos, says Commander
- Kidnappers release 10 victims in Kogi
- SMW 2020: Use African visuals to project brands in Nigeria – Panel
- Mauritius launches its 2020 season with the QUIKRIP
- Next Einstein Forum Unveils Top 25 Innovators to Compete At Its Global Gathering
- 3 more die of Covid-19 in Iran, 95 test positive; 4 new cases in Iraq
- Social Media Week: Good sleep enhances productivity, life span
- Spanish opera star Placido Domingo apologizes to women after harassment claims – report
- Poor parental sanitation, leading cause of diarrhoea in children–Nurse
- FAO donates agriculture livelihood to 1,000 Cameroonian refugees
- NCF leads winter bird census at Hadejia-Nguru wetlands
- Prophet in court for allegedly sodomising teenage boys
- Turkey’s Erdogan says no agreement yet on 4-way Syria summit
- Agent in court over alleged N2m land fraud in Ogun
- We are committed to speaking for voiceless Nigerians–NUJ
- Institute produces 150 donkeys from 2010 to 2019-Director
- South Korea to launch mass coronavirus testing, U.S. pledges $1bn for vaccine
- Mahatir’s resignation: Malaysia’s opposition claims majority in parliament
- African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Applicant, clergy in court for allegedly threatening to kill trader
- President Beach Volleyball Cup: NVBF assures of grooming discovered talents
- When Operation AWATSE destroys pipeline vandals’ 200 illegal structures and shrine
- CBN, RIFAN task rice farmers in C’ River on loan repayment
- Melania Trump attends happiness class at Delhi school
- Bayelsa governorship tribunal: PDP withdraws petition against INEC, APC
- Don attributes UNN-SUG free, fair election to biometric voting
- UNIBEN Senate elects 3 new Deputy Vice Chancellors
- Custons FOU Zone “B” intercepts 400 bags of smuggled rice concealed under water melons
- Customs FOU Zone “B” intercepts 400 bags of smuggled rice concealed under water melons
- Funding of Rugby drives Ghana Stakeholder Congress
- Federal lawmaker gives scholarship to 44 students
- Italy hosts summit with neighbouring countries on coronavirus crisis
- Ikeja Electric to refund customers for prepaid meters procured under MAP scheme
- London court holds hearing on Julian Assange’s extradition
- Hypertension, diabetes, risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease-Expert
- Alleged bribery: 2 bank staff testify in Sen. Shehu Sani’s trial
- 7 killed, 160 injured in violence over India’s controversial law
- Sweden demands release of Hong Kong bookseller
- Absence of judge stalls report of settlement in N100m suit
- Flash: Kaduna Assembly Speaker resigns
- Gov. Mohammed appoints GM for Bauchi State Agricultural Supply Coy
- Africa’s energy transition gains traction as Siemens Gamesa introduces renewable energy in Djibouti
- 112-year-old Japanese man, world’s oldest living male, dies
- Paracetamol: Health experts raise alarm over food enhancers as NAFDAC beams searchlight on restaurant operators in Northeast
- Novartis and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) to collaborate on the development of a new oral drug to treat Visceral Leishmaniasis
- On the grants for studies in Belarus in the academic year 2021/2022
- Insecurity: BMO urges military to maintain winning streak
- Subscribers want FG, NLC to stop developer from selling civil servants land in Apo-Tafyi
- Liverpool fight back against West Ham to continue winning streak
- Kano Govt to buy N98m kits for 1,792 football clubs
- Anonymous donor offers N400,000 lifeline to 4 blind students in Kebbi
- ‘Amotekun’ will attract more investors, improve Nigeria’s economy, says Gani Adams
- Zamfara: Tsafe LG chairman, others dump APC for PDP
- Gov. Matawalle appoints fmr DIG as security adviser
- Late NSCDC officer’s colleagues mourn, eulogise her
- Foundation offers free medical treatment to 2, 000 patients in Bauchi
- FG begins implementation of N46.83bn agric scheme in Niger Delta – Minister
- Include Miyetti Allah members in Amotekun Corps – Bello
- Insecurity: NUJ president advocates constitutional role for monarchs
- Association of GenCos raises concern on electricity tariff review
- Nigerian in diaspora advocates effective data management
- UBEC partners UNICEF to address education challenges
- 30 injured as car crashes into German Carnival parade
- NiMet predicts dust, cloudy conditions for Tuesday
- Insurgency: Gov. Zulum commends Nigerians for special prayer for peace
- FG lauds SMEDAN MSMEs online registration programme
- Public Hearing: PDP, Agbekoya, others drum support for Amotekun in Lagos
- United Nations Calls for Nominations for Nelson Mandela Prize
- Insecurity: Defence college alumni backs community policing
- “Amotekun” Corps comes with positive result- Lagos Assembly Speaker
- Kaduna govt. rolls out scholarship package for students with disabilities
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes $10 million donation from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fight Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa
- Sanusi vs Kano Anti-graft agency: We still have suitable options – Chairman
- FG to introduce incentives to boost capital market investment — Finance Minister
- Aisha Buhari calls for harmony, re-examining of security structure to stem terrorism in Nigeria
- NDA convenes international conference on security
- Dangote boosts south East economy with N63billion investment in Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company (ANAMMCO)
- Updated; Rice production in Kano increases to 3m tonnes – Gov. Ganduje
- Sanitation: Mobile Court begins prosecution of environmental offenders
- France pledges $100m for WHO Academy
- Mambilla Power Project till now existed only on papers – Rep
- Miyetti Allah seeks members’ inclusion in Operation Amotekun
- Nasarawa Assembly advises doctors, other health workers against sharp practices
- NIS receives Gambian Immigration for mentoring
- Dutch Railway Company pays €32m to Holocaust victims
- Army urges residents not to panic as it commences shoot practice
- Lagos taskforce debunks online report on seized vehicles
- 5 dead, over 200 infected as coronavirus panic grips Italy
- BMO says NIRSAL’s 4m jobs big push for job creation, poverty alleviation
- Saudi, Egypt, Bahrain to resume Qatar post services despite dispute
- ‘Pioneering’ NASA mathematician, Katherine Johnson dies aged 101
- NGO sensitises Police, NDLEA, NSCDC, others against extra judicial killings
- Ekiti Govt. promotes 4,000 primary school teachers
- NAFDAC plans to go on pigin English on Radio, TV over illegal activities
- Artisanal miners attack Gemfields’ Mozambique ruby unit, injuring 4
- Court remands teenager over alleged theft of N340,000 from bank
- Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein found guilty of sex crimes
- We ‘ll ensure Operation Amotekun is not politicised – Ogun govt.
- Scientists, researchers to meet in Uganda over global health challenges
- Kwara NULGE crisis: Govt inaugurates 12-man committee
- I-G orders FCID to take over investigation into Kazeem’s death
- Panel recommends sanctions against police officers involved in brutality
- Ban: Tricycle dealers lament low patronage
- Togo president declares landslide election win, opponent slams ‘masquerade’
- Corrected: GAIM4: Fidelity Bank supports financial inclusion drive with N68md