Connect with us

Judiciary

Driver, conductor face N3.2m theft charge

Published

on

A truck driver, Williams Ogieva and his conductor, Ifeanyi Adonu, were docked at an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Wednesday for allegedly stealing goods worth N3.2 million.

The defendant, Ogieva, 38 and Adonu, 22, whose residential addresses were not given, are facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and stealing.

The Prosecutor, Sgt. Cyriacus Osuji, told the court that the defendants committed the alleged offences on April 30 at Okota area of Lagos.

He said that the duo stole 65 cartons of corona grinding machines valued N3.2 million, belonging to Adeem Nigeria Ltd.

“The defendants were to convey the goods to Onitsha in a Scania truck marked USL921ZC, but stole 65 cartons,” Osuji said.

He said that the offences contravened Sections 370 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The duo pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Magistrate, Mrs M. O. Ope-Agbe, granted them bail in the sum of N2 million each with one surety each in like sum.

She ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed and must show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State Government.

The case was adjourned until May 23 for trial.

Defence/Security

Boko Haram: Drivers offer free rides to returning residents of Auno

Published

on

As residents of Auno town in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno, troop back home following assurance of adequate security by Gov. Babagana Zulum, commercial drivers plying Maiduguri-Damaturu road, are giving them free ride.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that residents of Auno which is few kilometres from Maiduguri, deserted the town in February following an insurgents attack that led to many deaths and destruction of properties.

A driver, Bukar Gwange, said that the gesture was part of the drivers  support to the returnees as they wish to see the once bubbling town bounce back to life.

“Auno is a place we use to get passengers and loads to and fro Maiduguri. When the sad incident happened in February, we were sad as it affected many of our colleagues and passengers.

“Now that the residents are returning home, we feel the best we can do is to give them free ride,”Gwange said.

Another driver, Ali Mohammed, told NAN that they always picked the returnees at Njimtilo area, in the outskirt of Maiduguri.

He said that after dropping the returnees in Auno, the driver used the opportunity to pick passengers who are going back to Maiduguri from Ngamdu and Beneshiek

“That way, we get little money to ease the hardship caused by the lockdown due to the existing ban on inter state travels,” Mohammed said.

Dauda Mustafa, another commercial driver, said the free ride was a blessing in disguise as security personnel along the road also appreciated the gesture and no longer  subject them to tedious screenings and delays.

Meanwhile, Gov. Zulum had already directed that an operational outreach office where he would be working from time-to-time, be set up for him in Auno,  so as to boost the people’s confidence.

The governor has also established zonal office of the state Rapid Response Squad, made up of police, hunters, vigilante and Civilian Joint Task Force in Auno.

According to the Commander of the squad, CSP Abioye Babalola, the team would not only ensure security in Auno and its environs, but also be on constant patrol and respond to distress calls along the busy Maiduguri-Damaru road.


Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Driver in court for reckless driving, causing an accident

Published

on

The police  on Thursday, arraigned a 46-year-old man, Stephen Otaido, at a Life Camp Magistrates’ Court, Abuja for alleged reckless driving and causing an accident.

The police charged Otaido, who lives in Efab Estate, Life Camp, Abuja, with  three counts of causing motor accident by dangerous driving, driving without due care, attention and driving without valid licence.

The Prosecution Counsel, Peter Ejike, told the court that on Feb. 16 at about 6.30 pm, the defendant drove a Toyota Sienna vehicle, with registration number GGE 49 EA, on the Life Camp/Efab  Road.

The prosecutor alleged that the defendant drove the said vehicle in a manner that was dangerous to other road users by swerving from his lane, causing a collision.

Ejike said the defendant caused N1.9million damage on the vehicle he hit.

He said the offence contravened the provisions of Section 28 of the Road Traffic Act,  and sections  21  and 10 (1) of Road Traffic Law.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Magistrate Chinyere Nwecheonwu admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N500,000, with one surety in like sum.

Nwecheonwu ordered that the surety must be a civil servant who should provide his or her first appointment letter, last promotion letter, confirmation letter as well as identification card for citing and verification by the court officials.

The magistrate adjourned the matter until June 8, for hearing.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Interview: China’s domestic economic drivers are strong: U.S. scholar

Published

on

By

The domestic drivers for the Chinese economy are looking much better and Chinese domestic economic activity has picked up “dramatically” in the last month or so, a U.S. scholar has told Xinhua.

In a video interview on Wednesday, Geoffrey Garrett, dean of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, said “obviously China is several months ahead of the West, and it looks like Chinese domestic economic activity has picked up dramatically in the last month or so,” referring to China‘s recovery from the impact of COVID-19.

He believed the problem for China now will be global demand. “The fact that there will be no global demand in the second half of this year will obviously slow down China‘s recovery, but so, the domestic drivers for the Chinese economy are looking much better and better every day.”

China on Thursday raised the curtain for its annual political high season. This year’s “two sessions” are expected to highlight China‘s final push in poverty alleviation and completing the building of a moderately prosperous society in all respects. Such progress is expected to boost its economic growth.

Deputies to the 13th National People’s Congress (NPC) walk towards the Great Hall of the People for the opening meeting of the third session of the 13th NPC in Beijing, capital of China, May 22, 2020. (Xinhua/Xing Guangli)

Deputies to the 13th National People’s Congress (NPC) walk towards the Great Hall of the People for the opening meeting of the third session of the 13th NPC in Beijing, capital of China, May 22, 2020. (Xinhua/Xing Guangli)

Garrett said “2021 was going to be a very big year for China, with a bunch of goals, to be delivered on by that time.”

He explained that though “2020 is just going to be an incredibly difficult year for every economy in the world,” “we should just never lose sight of the fact that what’s happened in China since 1978 is probably the greatest economic miracle in the history of the world.”

“Lifting 700 million … people out of poverty in three or four decades is just extraordinary,” he said in reference to China‘s poverty alleviation efforts.

Talking about international cooperation in the COVID-19 pandemic, the expert said, “I would expect that China could and should be a leading player in any international responses to the pandemic.”

He believed that international collaboration has been absent so far in response to the pandemic. “And I hope we can change that. Of course they have got to be national responses too, but I think coordinated international action is really important,” he said.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Tanzania, Kenya resolve dispute over COVID-19 tests for cross-border truck drivers

Published

on

By

Tanzania and Kenya on Friday resolved a dispute over COVID-19 tests for truck drivers crossing the border, facilitating trade between the two East African countries.

The dispute, which had been ongoing for quite some time, was resolved by ministers responsible for transport from the two countries at the end of their one-day meeting at the Namanga border post, said a communique released at the end of the meeting.

The meeting followed a directive on Wednesday by heads of state of Tanzania and Kenya to ministers responsible for transport and commissioners of border regions to resolve the dispute to facilitate trade between the two countries.

According to the communique, the ministers agreed that truck drivers from both sides will be tested for COVID-19 before commencement of their journeys at the point of origin using standards set by the World Health Organization.

The two countries agreed that tested truck drivers should be issued with a 14-day COVID-19 free certificate by competent authorities, which should be mutually recognized by the two countries, said the communique.

The communique said the two countries also agreed that each country should create conducive places where the truck drivers can stop for a rest, adding that such places should be equipped with necessary amenities.

They further agreed that the two countries should undertake random COVID-19 screening at the designated resting places, said the communique, adding that the screening should be done in a transparent manner.

According to the communique, the two countries agreed that in case of one of the truck crew being found to be at high risk of COVID-19, the owner of the truck will be allowed to replace all the crew and the truck allowed to proceed.

It said the two countries agreed to release to the public data on the status of COVID-19 without mentioning the nationality of the infected.

Tanzania was represented by Minister for Works, Transport and Communication Isack Kamwelwe, while Kenya was represented by Cabinet Secretary in the Ministry of Transport, Infrastructure, Housing, Urban Development and Public Works James Macharia.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Metro

Accident: Consider other road users, FRSC tells drivers, vehicle owners

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), RS2 Command, Lagos, has  called on vehicle owners and drivers to ensure regular vehicle maintenance and have consideration for other road users.

Mr Samuel Obayemi, Zonal Commander in-charge of Lagos and Ogun states, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos.

He was reacting to an accident, which claimed one life and injured some on Thursday on the Otedola Bridge on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

He said that the accident involving a petrol tanker and two other vehicles was avoidable, noting that it was  caused by brake failure on the part of the tanker.

FRSC has always advised vehicle owners and drivers to ensure regular vehicle maintenance and have consideration for other road users,” Obayemi, an Assistant Corps Marshal, said.

 

IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg 300w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-768×576.jpg 768w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027.jpg 1008w” data-lazy-sizes=”(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px” data-lazy-src=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg”>IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”225″ srcset=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg 300w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-768×576.jpg 768w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027.jpg 1008w” sizes=”(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px”>
Passenger bus involved in the accident being removed by tow truck

 

NAN reports that the accident, which occurred at 8.20a.m. on Thursday, involved  a white Toyota Hiace, marked KJA 581 XG, a blue Mack trailer marked KRD 259 XR and a blue Volkswagen Golf marked AAA 722 FU.

Seven male adults, two male children and four female adults were involved in the accidents, with a female adult losing her life  while three male adults, two male children and two female adults got injured.

A similar accident occurred on May 10 when a tanker laden with petrol lost control and hit the road median, killing a woman.

Edited By: Moses Solanke/Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Metro

Crashes: Consider other road users, FRSC tells drivers of articulated vehicles

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has urged drivers of trucks and tankers to have consideration for other road users to reduce disaster on the roads.

Mr Samuel Obayemi, the Zonal Commanding Officer, RS2 Command, comprising Lagos and Ogun States, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos on Friday that most of the truck-related accidents were avoidable.

Obayemi, an Assistant Corps Marshal spoke against the backdrop of recent spates of truck and tanker accidents in the zone.

NAN reports that at least, three people were confirmed dead and 13 others injured in separate truck-related accidents in Lagos and Ogun States on Wednesday and Thursday.

Two men lost their lives and six people sustained injuries on Wednesday near Old Toll Gate, Ota, Ogun, in a multiple crash involving a truck, two commercial buses and two motorcycles.

Similarly, a woman was killed on Thursday, while seven passengers were injured after a fuel-laden tanker collided with an interstate bus and another vehicle on Otedola Bridge along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Obayemi blamed the Thursday accident on brake failure and loss of control, saying that regular maintenance of the vehicles could have prevented such a crash.

“The number of people involved was 13, comprising of seven male adults, two male children and four female adults.

“It is unfortunate that a female adult was killed in the accident, while seven were injured, comprising three male adults, two male children and two female adults.

FRSC has always advised vehicle owners and drivers to ensure regular vehicle maintenance and to have consideration for other road users,” the FRSC boss said.

 

 

 

IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg 300w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-768×576.jpg 768w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027.jpg 1008w” data-lazy-sizes=”(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px” data-lazy-src=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg”>IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”225″ srcset=”https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-300×225.jpg 300w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027-768×576.jpg 768w, https://portal.nannews.ng/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/IMG-20200521-WA0027.jpg 1008w” sizes=”(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px”>
The passenger bus involved in the crash on Thursday being removed by LASEMA tow truck from Otedola Bridge on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

NAN reports that a similar accident occurred on May 10 when a petrol-laden tanker lost control and rammed into a road median, sparking a fire and killing a woman.

The inferno, which claimed the life of a pedestrian and razed two vehicles, occurred at the Lotto corridor of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Similarly, on March 31 during the COVID-19 lockdown, a crash involving a truck and a taxi killed six people on Epe Long Bridge in Lagos.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Lockdown: Kano mobile court prosecutes 45 drivers

Published

on

Court

Kano, April 21, 2020 Kano State Judiciary says it has prosecuted more than 45 drivers, whose vehicles were intercepted for violating the ban on inter-states movement.

Mr Baba Jibo, Public Relations Officer of the state Judiciary disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria on Thursday in Kano.

Jibo said that 30 of the defaulters were arrested at Kwanan Dangora on Kano – Zaria road, trying to enter Kano from Kaduna.

He said that during the operation, 10 other vehicles were intercepted while coming from Jigawa and the remaining five from other places.

He further explained that over 10 tricycles were also intercepted and the riders prosecuted for violating the lockdown order.

“The Kano Mobile Court, working with the law enforcement agents, arrested 45 drivers who disregarded the lockdown order and ban on inter-states movement on Thursday.

“Under the Chairmanship of Salisuf Sallama, the court fines all the lawbreakers accordingly to the gravity of their offences,’’ Jibo said.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

East African truck drivers praised over delivery of goods amid COVID-19 crisis

Published

on

By

The East African regional business and private sector watchdog on Wednesday praised truck drivers for their continued delivery of essential commodities across the east African borders amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The East African Business Council (EABC) based in Tanzania’s tourist city of Arusha said in a statement that the truck drivers were among those risking their personal health to keep products moving to stores, hospitals, homes and elsewhere during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Despite the impact of COVID-19, truck drivers continue to deliver essential commodities including food, personal protective equipment(PPE), medicines, raw materials within and across the East African Community (EAC) borders, said the statement.

“The EABC appreciates and recognizes the selfless dedication of truck drivers who are delivering goods to health facilities, factories and consumers,” said the statement signed by Peter Mathuki, EABC Executive Director.

“This will boost the availability of medical, PPEs and food crucial to protecting the health of our citizens and improving food security in the region,” said the statement.

The statement said stigmatization against truck drivers should never be an option, as this may lead to a disruption in the supply chain in the EAC member countries of Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan, thus affecting further trade and investment.

“Let us support our truck driver in the region, our unsung heroes on the wheel delivering essential cargo into and out of our countries,” said the statement.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Uganda reports 4 new COVID-19 cases, turns away 36 foreign drivers

Published

on

By

Uganda’s ministry of health on Wednesday reported four new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 264.

Henry Mwebesa, Director General of Health Services in a statement said that out of 2,228 samples collected from cross-border truck drivers and community on Tuesday, two Ugandan drivers and two contacts of the previously confirmed cases tested positive for the virus.

He said 36 foreign cargo truck drivers who tested positive for COVID-19 at the country’s common borders were turned back to their respective countries.

Out of the 264 COVID-19 cases, at least 63 have recovered, with no death so far recorded, according to the ministry.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also