The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says it is embarking on 24 hours surveillance in the FCT to rid the city of drug abuse and illicit drug trafficking.
The Chairman, NDLEA, Col. Muhammad Abdallah (Rtd) said this during a presentation of appreciation letter by the Wuse Zone 4 Traders Association (WZ4TA) on Thursday in Abuja.
Abdallah said that the high rate of drug abuse in the country had necessitated the need for the surveillance, adding that it would be a permanent exercise.
He said that this was coming after the approval of recruitment of the 15,000, officers and men by President Muhammadu Buhari to boost the agency’s manpower.
“I must say this is the main reason for the recruitment of 15,000 officers and men approved by the President, knowing that the agency is in need of manpower to carry out its operations effectively.
“The first phase of the recruitment had been done and we will commence the second phase as soon as possible. We will start with 5,000 before the year runs out so they can start their training in January.
“The Minister of FCT, Muhammed Bello, had been on the same page with the agency and every step we have taken had been supported by the Minister.
“And with other sister agencies, we have been able to carry out operations successfully and we promise to do more,” he said.
Abdallah said that the agency was ever ready to collaborate with any community in the FCT and its environment to rid the Nation’s capital of drug related cases.
“We will also talk to all the governors in states to step into the operations of fighting the abuse of drugs in the country,” he added.
Abdallah urged Nigerians to come on board, adding that the need for people to know that the problem was irrational has called for concern.
He appreciated the Minister of the FCT for his support in the fight against drug abuse and promised to work with the administration.
The Chairman, WZ4TA, Mr Abdullahi Abubakar, appreciated the NDLEA boss and the agency for the positive transformation in Zone 4 presently.
“I was pained seeing children and youths involved in drugs, prostitution and other forms of social vices.
“I came to the NDLEA to lay my complaint and I am happy that the agency accepted and helped in ridding the area of drug peddlers.
“Everybody in Abuja knows what Zone 4 is, but today, we are grateful for the changes so far, for cleaning FCT.
“I think that if we as Nigerians play our roles well, like what the NDLEA has done, then the country will move forward, “ he said.
Hajia Zainab Aliyu, a resident of Zone 4, commended the NDLEA for cleaning the community, adding that youths and children are the future of Nigeria.
She decries the use of drugs by youths in the area, adding that it has jeopardised the good and beautiful future they had.
“Some of them are directly at the back of my house selling drugs and doing drugs. Sometimes I walk up to them and counsel them.
“I have helped some of them to gain admission into university and even took one to a rehabilitation centre. NDLEA have done well but need to do more to ensure old wounds are not opened again,” she said.
Edited by Dorcas Jonah/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT
Mrs Essien Enewan-Okon, Principal of Government Secondary School, Wuse Zone 3 in Abuja, said that 90 per cent of students in the school’s exit classes have resumed.
“They are all in their classrooms, very happy and we teachers are equally happy to resume; we thank God and the FCT Administration, who have made it possible for us to resume.
“As a government school, we are fully prepared for resumption because the FCT Secondary Education Board gave us all it takes to resume, starting from hands sanitizer, buckets for hand washing to face masks.
“The entire school premises was fumigated, we washed our classrooms and created the two meters distance required for desk spacing in all our 11 classrooms before resumption,” she said.
The principal also said that the school on resumption began by giving the students orientation on the new normal and how to go about their lives in school and at home.
“We even told them the type of food they should eat and pray to God that they should comply with the protocols,” she said.
A student in the school, Daniel Boluwatife said that she was excited to come back to school because the uncertainty of whether or not Nigerian students would be writing the 2020 WASSCE was very disappointing to her.
Also, Michael Oyegoke said, “I am excited to come back to school because there were a lot of distractions at home than in the school environment”.
On whether the teachers would be able to cover their syllabus within the two weeks preceding the WASSCE, both teachers and students were optimistic.
Mrs Felicial Ogbuegebe, head of sciences department in the school said that before they went on lockdown, there was only two weeks remaining before the WASSCE.
“We had covered our syllabus and we were doing revision before the lockdown came.
“All we need to do now is to revise with the students because staying at home for this long, they must have forgotten one or two things.
“Every safety measure has been put in place before the school resumed; so all the teaching staff are joining our hands together to teach the students, especially the sciences – Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
“All the teachers are now involved in preparing the exit class; this time it is not a time for a teacher to say that he teaches only SS 3 or SS 1 classes.
“Whatever class you teach, we are all involved with the SS 3 class now to make sure that they get whatever they need to get before their exams, ” she said.
An optimistic Nuralhuda Mohammed, a female student told the News Agency of Nigeria : “my expectation for WASSCE is that, it will not be hard for me because I have read over and over during the lockdown, so, I am good to go.
“Since my teachers have all covered all their schemes of work and I am not new to the school environment, I have nothing to worry about,” she said.
In another vein, Malam Tamim Yusuf, the chief administrative officer of the Muslim Community Centre, owners of Fau-ad Lababidi Islamic Academy and four other institutions in Abuja, said that, the school was in full compliance with the government directives for resumption.
“In compliance with the directives of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, it is only our SS 3 students that have resumed.
“We decontaminated the entire school premises and an inspection was carried out by the Department of Quality Assurance of the FCT Education Secretariat on arrangement of classrooms.
“They were satisfied with our compliance, so they issued us a certificate for having satisfied all the requirements.
“Today being the first day of resumption, we organized a general orientation both for students and teachers.
“The orientation is in two phases: a medical doctor came from the National Hospital Abuja to give a talk generally on the COVID-19 protocols and an Imam gave another talk on what the Qura’an says about the pandemic and human responsibility.
“Right from the gate, no one is given access to the school premises until they have washed their hands and had their temperature taken; our classes are compliant in terms of social distancing,” he said. .
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Felix Ajide (NAN)
Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada
Garba Kwamkur, Deputy Director, Monitoring and Enforcement, Department of Department Control, who led the exercise on Tuesday in Gwagwalada, said that the illegal houses had been marked for demolition over one year ago.
Kwamkur noted that the occupants of the effected houses were given enough time to move out of the flood-prone areas, adding, however, that they had refused to obey the directive.
He said that government could not spare the houses anymore, following the recent forecast of more rains and consequential flooding that would affect the area.
Kwamkur explained that the affected community was part of the land covering about 260 hectares, allocated within the Abuja Master Plan, for the development of the University of Abuja at Gwagwalada.
He, however, expressed the regret that some indigenous people and other squatters were still occupying the land temporarily.
“The University of Abuja had written to us about the encroachment issue. The settlement here that is due for resettlement has grown beyond its boundary.
“And we had issue of flood last week where five persons, who were carried away by the flood, were confirmed dead.
“We actually had to discuss with the village leaders on the need to move away from the flood-prone area,” he said.
“The FCT Emergency Management Agency has also predicted that there would be heavy flood this year.
“So we are making some precautionary measures; that’s why all the buildings along flood plains will have to go.
“All the contravention notices have been issued since 2019. No government will sit down and do nothing when the lives of its citizens are being threatened by either flood or any other thing,” he said.
Responding, the Chief of the community, Mr Isah Egari, said that he was not opposed to the demolition of the houses built on water channels.
Egari, however, appealed to the FCT administration to give the residents more time to move out from the affected community.
He also called on the demolition team to restrict the bulldozers to the areas close to the water channels to avoid undue hardship on other residents who were not affected.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq
Court sentences man to 1 year imprisonment for impersonation
Adamu of Egume village, Dekina LGA of Kogi, had pleaded guilty to the two-count charge of impersonation and forgery preferred against him.
The Magistrate, Aliyu Shafa, however sentenced Adamu to six months imprisonment for each offence or an option of N5,000 fine for each offence.
Shafa cited the Holy Bible and Quran to buttress his sentencing, adding that he was satisfied with the evidences given by the defence witnesses about the good character of the defendant.
He said the punishment would serve as a deterrent to anyone planning to trail that part in the future.
Shafa also warned Adamu to desist from committing crimes and be of good behaviour.
Earlier, the defence counsel, Khalid Salaw, pleaded with the court to tamper justice with mercy, adding that the defendant was a family man with four children and a pregnant wife.
Salaw said that the defendant was a first offender and had no criminal record or arrest in the past.
The defence counsel told the court that the defendant had learnt his lessons and would not repeat the act in future.
The prosecutor counsel, Victor Ejelonu told the court that the defendant cheated by impersonating as a staff of SSS at varying locations within Abuja while conveying passengers.
He said that the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 321 and 363 of the Penal Code.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Obike Ukoh (NAN)
Man in court for allegedly stealing 3 cell phones worth N180, 000
A 20-year-old man, Kelvin Sashak, on Tuesday appeared in a Life Camp Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing three cell phones worth N180,000 and other items.
The police charged Sashak, who resides at no 25 Bamako Street Wuse Zone 1, Abuja, with two counts of joint act and theft.
The Police Prosecutor, ASP Peter Ejike, FCT Command, Abuja, told the court that Mr Nivea Momoh who resides at Bamako Street Wuse Zone 1, Abuja, reported the matter at the Wuse Zone 3 Police Station on May 10.
Ejike alleged that the defendant and one Innocent, currently at large, entered into the complainant’s room and stole three cell phones and other personal belongings.
The Prosecutor alleged that the items stolen are two Nokia phones valued at N50,000 each, a “British” mobile phone valued at N80, 000, a Nigerian and British passports, National identity card, shoes, belts and clothes.
He said the offence contravenes the provisions of section 79 and 287 of the Penal Code.
The defendant however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Magistrate Chinyere Nwecheonwu in her ruling admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N200, 000 and one surety in like sum.
Nwecheonwu ordered that the surety be resident within the jurisdiction of the court and should deposit a valid means of Identification which must be verified by the court registrar.
She adjourned the matter until Aug. 31, for hearing.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)