Vanguard Against Drug Abuse (VGADA), an NGO, has advised the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) to institute a culture of participatory and inclusive approach to fighting drug abuse in the country.
The President of the group, Dr Hope Abraham, who disclosed this in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Friday in Abuja, said these impediments were militating against a drug free society.
He said that consumption of prohibited substances had become a serious challenge to the growth and development of the society, adding that curbing the menace was a collective responsibility.
According to him, involving the communities can help in tapping the resources available in addressing the menace of drugs among youths and children.
“VGADA can help to interact with communities in order to tap the resources we have.
“Examples of such resources are some of the healthcare centres we are in partnership with and also our counseling unit to help rescue those who are addicted already, among others across the country,” he said.
Abraham, however, urged NDLEA to collaborate with communities to ensure that the society was free of drugs and drug peddlers.
He assured that the organisation would support NDLEA with campaigns and more sensitisation programmes to ensure that the country was also free from any form of social vices.
He called on the state government and philanthropists to support the organisation in its quest to ensure that every one was well informed on the dangers of doing drugs.
He said that parents should monitor what their children and wards were doing in order to encourage them shun abuse of drugs because of the health challenge on them and the society.
“It is disheartening that children at tender age already have problem using drugs. There should be deliberate and sustained efforts at educating the younger generation on drug prevention,’’ Abraham said.
Edited by Ismail Abdulaziz
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti