The Caring Family Enhancement Initiative (CAFE), a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)founded by wife of Anambra Governor, Mrs Ebelechukwu Obiano has built 28 bungalows for widows in rural communities in the state.
Ebelechukwu disclosed this at Umuru village, Nnobi, Idemili South Local Government Area (LGA) of the state while handing over keys of a 3- bedroom bungalow to a widow, Mrs Regina Maduka on Tuesday.
She said the gesture was aimed at reducing the pains of less privileged in the society.
“It gives me joy to see poor widows smile because they now own decent accommodation, ’’ she said.
She expressed joy over the impact of her NGO, in touching lives of vulnerable women in the state.
The governor’s wife assured that more widows would be reached before the end of her husband’s tenure.
Mr Chuck’s Ezeunne, lawmaker representing Idemili South in the State House of Assembly said the structure built by Ebelechukwu would be an enduring legacy.
“She has done a lot in alleviating the suffering of poor widows and posterity will be fair in judging her,”he said.
Mrs Amaka Maduka, daughter in-law of the beneficiary, who could not hold back her tears, thanked governor’s wife for the kind gesture.
The bungalow handed over to the widow was built through assistance by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
The building has a water borehole, generator and other household utilities.
The beneficiary, Mrs Maduka who lived in a dilapidated house before now, lost her husband in the late 70’s after she gave birth to her only child.
Edited by Ali Baba-Inuwa
- Tanker drivers start strike Monday as talks with LASG end in deadlock
- NCDC confirms 437 new COVID-19 case, total of infection hits 46,577
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse