The Senate Committee Chairman on Sports, Sen. Obinna Ogba (PDP–Ebonyi Central) says he will still vie for the state Football Association (FA) chairmanship position which he has occupied for eight years.
The senator, who was re-elected into the senate during the last general elections, said that his leadership of the state’s FA has impacted positively on football in the state and this necessitated his desire to continue in that position.
“We have to consolidate on the achievements on ground especially with the revamping of the sports sector by the Gov. David Umahi led-administration,” he said.
He debunked the notion that he had abandoned his privately-owned club Ebonyi United FC, runners up in the 2019 state federation cup final, decided on April 27.
“I registered the club for the just concluded state federation cup, provided kits and other logistics while offsetting the salaries of the officials and players.
“How then can people say I abandoned the club as one should not reply to every insinuation,” he said.
Supporting Ogba’s assertion, Ikechukwu Itumo, Team manager of the Ebonyi United FC club, said the senator had been doing his best to run the club.
“You know that politicians who took part in the just-concluded general elections spent lots of money and would need time to stabilise financially.
“I believe that when things normalise, those who are saying that he abandoned the club will speak differently,” he said.
Itumo noted that the club had learnt its lessons from its federation cup loss to Cynosure FC of Abakaliki, promising that noticeable flaws would be corrected before the national stage of the competition.
“The officials for instance, released the players’ feeding allowance late before the final and we are happy to notice these flaws presently, before the national competition,” he said.
- South African Airways cancels almost all flights for Friday, Saturday
- 2 men in court over alleged unlawful possession of cartridges
- Nigerian Armed Forces shine at international sports
- 2 years since arrest, Cambodian journalists await spying verdict
- Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia
- Italian police seize over a tonne of cocaine in banana container
- Kogi elections: Group urges politicians to eschew violence, hate speech
- 17 injured in blasts at south-eastern Turkey Ammunition depot
- Philippines deports 312 Chinese nationals for telecom fraud
- Indian court delays ruling on ban on women entering Hindu temple
- Health Training Initiative increases accreditation status, academic performance – Registrar
- Oil rises after OPEC’s Barkindo says U.S. shale growth may slow in 2020
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business