The Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung, commended the organisers for a successful championship and noted that the ministry would assist in subsequent editions.
Dalung, represented by Mrs Jane Owoh, the South-East Zonal Coordinator of the ministry, said that the championship had provided an avenue for the young cricketers to showcase their talents
“I commend the sponsor of this championship, Chika Okoro, for his passion and commitment towards its success. I urge other philanthropists to emulate him.
“We have consistently acknowledged his contributions to the growth of cricket and other sports in the zone which has created an avenue for the discovery and harnessing of young talents,” he said.
Dalung urged the private sector to assist the government in developing sports in the zone and the country at large, as the enabling environment would continue to be provided for the sector to thrive.
“Sports provide veritable avenues for creating employment for the youth and solve unemployment problems and make them shun crimes,” he said.
Earlier, the sponsor of the championship, Okoro, congratulated the players, coaches, umpires and other stakeholders for ensuring a successful competition.
“I urge the players to re-dedicate themselves to the cause of the game and listen to their coaches to strengthen areas of strongholds and correct noticeable deficiencies.
“This will ensure that you realise your ambitions of representing the country in various categories in plying your trade abroad,” he sadvised.
He noted that the next edition of the championship would be played on a league format where participating teams would visit one another in a round robin basis.
“It is only when this format is completed that the successful teams will play a two-day final based on 50-50 overs matches.
“My target is to ensure that male cricket teams from the zone emerge victorious at the National Youth Games like their female counterparts,” he said.
Mr Tony Ajaelu, the Imo former Commissioner for Youth and Sports, hailed the level of tactical display by the players and commended the coaches for impacting such on the players.
Jephtar Ugwu, Coach of the victorious Ebonyi team, thanked God for the victory and noted that the players would not be complacent but re-double their efforts to achieve greatness.
NNN reports that the championship is named after Omezue Eziokoro Okoro, father of the sponsor.
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union
- Review: Sean Tizzle’s single ‘Contagious’, not enough for a hit record
- Katsina state govt. pays N208m WAEC fees for 21,589 candidates–Commissioner
- Opadokun, NADECO leader, seeks more libraries to boost reading culture
- Review: Teni Apata’s music, personality evolution draws mixed feelings
- Ministry of power seeks collaboration with agencies for improved power supply
- Kano State targets 3.8m children for meningitis vaccination
- Focus, Funding, keys to having to a great musical career- Toby
- Institute tasks FG on tourism, hospitality sector
- Boxing: NIDCOM boss, Dabiri-Erewa applauds Joshua’s victory over Ruiz Jr.
- Christmas: We are capable of meeting demands- Nasarawa Rice Millers
- Cleric urges Christians to live exemplary lives
- Nutrition Survey will lead to improved quality healthcare – Experts
- RIFAN urges FG to sustain border closure
- Fireboy DML debuts best album to close 2019
- Style Review: the return of pleated skirts
- National Public Safety Security System: Police Affairs Ministry sets up committee for smooth take-off
- Expert urges FG to sensitise Nigerians on $29.96bn foreign loan
- ‘Muna’ suggests new career angle for Adesua Etomi-Wellington
- BASA will strengthen cultural ties, deepen unity amongst personnel – CAS
- Nigeria on cause to raise Olympic champions in gymnastic – Coach Asuquo
- FG to introduce new visa regime to boost economy
- Expo 2020 in Dubai: What Benefits to Africa?
- Boxing: I’m happy Joshua won back his respect, says Isaac Ikhouria
- Boxing: Joshua takes revenge on Ruiz in Saudi Arabia rematch
- Buhari salutes Anthony Joshua on comeback victory
- DSS says Sowore’s rearrest video, mischief, meant for propagandist purpose
- NGO wants HIV test as component of routine ante natal care
- FG assures qualified teachers of good welfare, incentives
- Buhari mourns Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke
- Salome Abuh, PDP woman leader burnt to death, buried amid tears