Connect with us

Foreign

Egypt announces new gold discovery with 1-bln-USD investment

Published

on

The Egyptian Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources announced on Tuesday a new commercial gold discovery in the Eastern Desert.

“The reserve of the mine is estimated at more than one million ounces of gold and it is aimed to lure above one billion United States dollars in the next ten years,” the ministry said in the statement.

Located in the concession area of Shalateen Mineral Resources Company, the new discovery is part of the oil ministry’s 2018-2021 program for developing and modernizing the mineral sector and increasing its contribution to the country’s national income, it said.

The statement added that the mineral sector is expected to hit 375 million dollars in the coming two years and it is expected to increase the direct investments in the gold sector to one billion dollars by 2030.

Egypt is ranked 6th among Arab countries in gold holdings with 77.4 tonnes, most of which is located at the Arabian-Nubian Shield in the southern part of the country.

Egypt’s gold production is concentrated in three sites in the Eastern Desert. Centamin-owned Sukari mine is the only gold producing mine currently.

(XINHUA)

Nnn: :is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Foreign

Thai hotel partially closed over Coronavirus-infected Egyptian

Published

on

A Thai hotel where a COVID-19-infected Egyptian military delegate stayed was ordered to partially close on Monday, so the building can go through disinfection while staff members be quarantined.

The provincial administration of Rayong province has ordered the quarantine of some staff and partial closure of a hotel in eastern coast of Thailand in Rayong Province where a member of an Egyptian military delegation found to be infected with COVID-19 stayed.

“Health officials in the province have been working frantically to trace anyone who may have been in physical contact with the infected Egyptian military officer,’’ said Rayong Governor Surasak Charoensirichoke.

“We have reports that he went shopping in a mall and visited several places before he left for the airport.’’

The Egyptian military delegation made a stopover at U-Tapao military airport at Rayong Province on June 8 and checked into a hotel in the province.

Thai health officials took swab samples on the Egyptian delegation team for tests.

The test results revealed on Sunday that out of the delegation team members, one tested positive for COVID-19.

By that time, the delegation team had already left for Egypt.

Governor Surasak said it was unknown how many of the Egyptians went shopping, but officials were checking surveillance cameras at the hotel and the shopping mall.

According to regulations, government guests and foreign delegations, on short visits to Thailand, are exempted from 14-day mandatory quarantine, but they are required to confine themselves to their hotels.

Spokesman of the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) Taweesin Visanuyothin said that as of Monday, Thailand has not seen a single local infection for 49 days.

“We must do anything to stem and contain the pandemic,’’ said Taweesin. “Thailand cannot afford a second wave of infections.’’

Edited By: Halima Sheji/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Egypt reports 923 new Coronavirus cases, 81,158 in total

Published

on

Egypt confirmed on Saturday 923 new COVID-19 infections, raising the tally in the country to 81,158, Egyptian Health Ministry said.

Meanwhile, 67 patients died from the virus, bringing the death toll to 3,769 while 602 patients were cured and discharged from hospitals

This takes the total recoveries to 23,876, according to Egyptian Health Ministry Spokesman, Khaled Megahed, in a statement.

Megahed also underlined Egypt’s close cooperation with the World Health Organisation regarding the pandemic.

Egypt announced its first confirmed COVID-19 case on Feb. 14 and the first death from the highly infectious virus on March 8.

The North African country resumed international flights on July 1 after more than three months of suspension, amid a “coexistence plan” to maintain anti-coronavirus precautionary measures while resuming economic activities.

The country has recently lifted a partial night curfew it imposed over the past three months, and reopened restaurants, cafes, theatres and cinemas as well as hotels, museums and archaeological sites for tourists, all with limited capacity.

Egypt and China have been cooperating closely in fighting the pandemic through exchanging medical aid and expertise.

In February, Egypt provided aid to China to help with its fight against COVID-19 and China later returned the favour by sending three batches of medical aid to the North African country, the latest of which was in mid-May.

Since mid-April, Chinese doctors and medical experts have held three video conferences with Egyptian counterparts to share their experience in the prevention and treatment of the novel coronavirus.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Egypt rejects Ethiopia’s proposal to postpone discussions on filling, operating Nile dam

Published

on

Egypt has rejected a proposal from Ethiopia to postpone tackling controversial points on the rules of filling and operating the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) until after an agreement is reached.

Ethiopia demanded to refer these issues to a technical committee that will be formed to follow up the implementation of the terms of the agreement, the Egyptian Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation, said in a statement.

However, the ministry said it had totally rejected the proposal, noting that such major technical issues could not be referred to the technical committee to be decided later after signing an agreement.

For the eighth day in a row, Egypt, Sudan, and Ethiopia have been engaged in talks which are sponsored by the African Union.

The talks, which are meant to bridge the gaps between the three countries, are also attended by experts from the United States and the European Union.

The ministry said Egypt had put forward some alternative formulations in an attempt to bring views closer regarding times of drought or extended drought, in addition to the annual filling and operation rules.

The ministry said that it had been agreed that Ethiopia would study the alternatives proposed by Egypt, adding that the Egyptian proposals would be tackled during a tripartite ministerial meeting that would be held on July 12.

It added that discussions of the legal committee made no progress on controversial points.

Over the past few years, tripartite talks on the rules of filling and operating Ethiopia’s grand hydropower dam have been fruitless, including those hosted by Washington, amid Egyptian concerns that the GERD would affect Egypt’s annual share of the Nile water.

Ethiopia recently said that it would soon start filling the reservoir, while Egypt has repeatedly warned against any unilateral action without a prior tripartite agreement.

The 4-billion-dollar GERD is expected to produce more than 6,000 megawatts of electricity and become Africa’s largest hydropower dam upon completion.

Filling the reservoir, whose total capacity is 74 billion cubic meters, may take several years.

Egypt seeks to prolong the period of filling process to avoid the possible impacts of water shortage, which is a main point of their talks.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Coronavirus: FG evacuates 270 Nigerians from Egypt

Published

on

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, says 270 Nigerians are expected to arrive at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja the nation’s capital following a successful evacuation from Egypt.

Onyeama made this known via his twitter handle @GeoffreyOnyeama on Friday as he gives an update on the evacuation process.

“@EGYPTAIR conveying Nationals from Cairo, #Egypt has departed for Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja,”Onyeama twitted.

The News Agency of Nigeria, reports that the evacuees would be tested on return and would embark on the mandatory 14-day quarantine and isolation where necessary.

Onyeama while appearing on NAN Forum also disclosed that the Federal Government was going to evacuate more Nigerians willing to return home.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry has succeeded in evacuating several stranded Nigerians in the wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Edited By: Remi Koleoso/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Egypt sees marked decline in daily Coronavirus infections, fatalities

Published

on

Egypt confirmed on Thursday 950 new COVID-19 infections and 53 fatalities, bringing the total cases registered in the country to 79,254 and the death toll to 3,617, said the health ministry.

Thursday’s number of new infections is the lowest since May 28 when the daily increase started to surpass 1,000, while the new single-day deaths mark the fewest since June 13.

A record 1,774 daily infections was seen in Egypt on June 19.

Meanwhile, 512 patients were cured and discharged from hospitals on Thursday, raising the total recoveries to 22,753, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said in a statement.

Egypt announced its first confirmed COVID-19 case on Feb. 14 and the first death from the highly infectious virus on March 8.

Egypt resumed international flights on July 1 after more than three months of suspension, amid a coexistence plan to maintain anti-coronavirus precautionary measures while resuming economic activities.

The North African country has recently lifted a partial nighttime curfew imposed over the past three months, and reopened restaurants, cafes, theaters and cinemas, as well as hotels, museums and archeological sites for tourists, all with limited capacity.

Egypt and China have been cooperating closely in fighting the pandemic through exchanging medical aid and expertise.

In early February, Egypt provided aid to China to help with its fight against COVID-19 and China later returned favor by sending three batches of medical aid to the country, the latest of which was in mid-May.

“So far, Chinese medical experts have held eight video conferences with Egyptian counterparts. China is so willing to strengthen remote consultation, dialogue and cooperation in the development and use of vaccines with Egypt,” Chinese Ambassador to Egypt Liao Liqiang said at an online press conference on Wednesday.

On July 5, Liao delivered a batch of anti-coronavirus medical aid sent by the Chinese government to the Cairo-based Arab League.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Celebrated Egyptian actress dies in coronavirus quarantine hospital

Published

on

Celebrated Egyptian actress Ragaa al-Gedawi died aged 81 on Sunday in a quarantine hospital weeks after testing positive for the new coronavirus, state media reported.

In late May, al-Gedawi, a former model, was transferred to a hospital in the coastal city of Ismailia, north east of Cairo, after displaying symptoms of the virus.

She was quarantined in the hospital until her death early Sunday, the online edition of state-owned newspaper al-Ahram reported.

Several days ago al-Gedawi was placed on a ventilator at an intensive care unit in the hospital due to her old age and her deteriorating health.

Egypt, the Arab world’s most populous country of nearly 100 million people, recently loosened virus-related restrictions to boost its economy.

Health authorities have so far reported a total of 74,035 virus cases and 3,280 related deaths.

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Sudan, Egypt, Ethiopia resume talks on Nile dam

Published

on

Talks

Khartoum, July 4, 2020 Talks between Sudan, Egypt, and Ethiopia over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) on the Nile River resumed on Friday under African Union (AU) mediation, Sudan’s Irrigation and Water Resources Ministry announced.

“The talks between the three countries were resumed on Friday via video conference with mediators and monitors attending,” said the ministry in a statement.

The tripartite talks are expected to abide by the Declaration of Principles previously signed by the three countries as a basis for formulating all technical and legal items that lead to a final deal.

In March 2015, leaders of the three countries signed the declaration committed to reaching an agreement regarding the GERD through cooperation.

In June, the tripartite talks stalled over technical and legal differences.

Ethiopia started building the GERD in 2011, while Egypt, a downstream Nile Basin country that relies on the river for its fresh water, is concerned that the dam might affect its 55.5-billion-cubic-meter annual share of the water resources.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Egypt airports to receive 745 expats stranded in Kuwait over COVID-19

Published

on

Egyptian airports are scheduled to receive on Saturday five flights carrying 745 stranded expatriates returning from Kuwait over COVID-19 concerns, an Egyptian official told Xinhua.

“The five flights will take off later in the day heading to Egypt’s Cairo and Sohag airports,” said Haitham Saad Eddin, spokesman of the Ministry of Manpower.

The ministry was informed by its office at the Egyptian Embassy in Kuwait that the flights are part of about 25 flights run by the Kuwaiti airport for the departure of 4,210 foreigners back to their home countries, namely Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Lebanon, India, Pakistan, and Nepal, Saad Eddin noted.

Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus pandemic, Egypt has returned more than 20,000 nationals stranded abroad in Arab, Asian, and Western states, according to previous official remarks.

Egyptian Immigration Minister Nabila Makram said in February that the actual number of Egyptian expatriates is estimated at 13 million out of the country’s 100 million population.

Considered one of Egypt’s main sources of foreign currency, remittances of the Egyptian expatriates amounted to 26.8 billion United States dollars in 2019.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Egypt receives 313 tourists from Switzerland, Belarus amid flight resumption

Published

on

By

Egypt received two flights carrying 313 tourists from Switzerland and Belarus on Thursday, the second day of Egypt’s international flight resumption after more than three months of suspension over COVID-19 concerns.

Hurghada airport received a flight carrying 141 Swiss tourists while Sharm el-Sheikh airport received another with 172 Belarusian tourists, the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities said in a statement.

Egypt has recently lifted a partial nighttime curfew imposed in the country over the past three months, amid a coexistence plan to maintain anti-coronavirus precautionary measures while resuming economic activities.

Tourism is one of the main sources of national income and foreign currency in Egypt. The country’s tourism revenues hit a record high of 13 billion United States dollars in 2019.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Manchester City aren’t the only big spenders  —- Guardiola Wigan thrash struggling Hull 8-0, West Brom draw with Fulham Atalanta whip Brescia 6-2 to go second in Serie A No roars as Tiger makes return to sounds of silence Chelsea win to boost UEFA Champions League chances 7 persons suspected to operate illegal employment agencies arrested Former nurse admits killing 7 United States military retirees Abia doctors lament poor infrastructure, exposure to diseases WASCE: Nigeria’s non-participation will cause irreparable damage – Afe Babalola Illegal refining: NSCDC arrests 6 suspects as facility catches fire in Oregun, Lagos Delta Govt to begin property enumeration to raise IGR — Commissioner Lawyers back Supreme Court judgment on virtual court proceedings Sports Minister congratulates UFC Champion, Usman OPEC launches Annual Statistics Bulletin CBN unveils non-interest guidelines for AGSMEIS, MSMEDF, others  Retirees’ benefits: NLC commends FG’s decision to release N7.45 billion Oyo SWAN mourns ex-3SC boss Buhari won’t fail Nigerians on anti-graft war, says Presidency United States bows to pressure, rescinds policy targeting foreign students Police recover 2 anti-aircraft guns, others in Borno Election: APC ‘ll reclaim Edo, says Sylva Lagos SWAN mourns former Vice Chairman, Ukaigwe Rape: Don urges states to domesticate sexual, gender-based violence laws Tambuwal urges Northern stakeholders to inject more resources, capacity to rescue education Illicit oil storage causes fire outbreak at Oregun – LASEMA boss Enugu airport runway for completion Aug. 30 – aviation minister 2020 MSMEs awards hold virtually on July 16 – Presidency Coronavirus: FRSC cautions commercial drivers in Nasarawa against non-use of passengers’ manifest Trump to hold news conference on Tuesday: White House Supreme Court judgment: Gov. Diri dedicates victory to God FG evacuates 590 Nigerians from UK, 305 from Dubai Coronavirus: NCD Alliance gets grants to help non-communicable disease patients Google hit with 600,000 Euro Belgian privacy fine Okowa congratulates Diri on Supreme Court victory Enugu airport reopens Aug. 30 – Sirika FirstBank rewards its Verve Card holders with free fuel Pompeo hails UK ban of Huawei from 5G networks APC youths leaders laud Gov Akeredolu’s feat in Ondo Strike: NMA warns LASG against escalating impasse with medical doctors Lagos gov’t pays N8.7bn to retirees in 6 months China’s Wanda Film warn a loss 2 executed in Iran after bomb attack Masks, cameras, action! Film production restarts in Californiaho Imbibe spirit of engagement, negotiation for uninterrupted healthcare delivery- Doctors DR Congo police fire tear gas to disperse protests over election chief Kogi Govt. approves construction, reticulation of Osara Water Scheme Ogun assesses business outfits ahead of post Coronavirus operations NiMet predicts cloudiness, rains Wednesday to Friday Death toll rises in Azerbaijan-Armenia border clashes Pastor, 59, allegedly defiles girl, 10 in Ogun