Connect with us

Metro

Eid-el-Kabir: Ex-Lagos lawmaker tasks leaders on sacrifices

Published

on

Eid-el-Kabir: Ex-Lagos lawmaker tasks leaders on sacrifices

Mr Dipo Olorunrinu, a former member of the Lagos State House of Assembly, on Friday urged Nigerian leaders to make more sacrifices for the masses.


In a message to mark 2020 Eid-el-Kabir, Olorunrinu, who represented Amuwo-Odofin Constituency I in the Eight Lagos Assembly, said that Eid-el-Kabir signified sacrifice and selflessness.

The lawmaker said that sacrifices were necessary for national unity and progress.

According to him, except Nigerians, especially leaders, resolve to embrace the virtues of sacrifice and selflessness, the dream of the founding fathers of the nation will not be achieved.

Olorunrinu said: “As we celebrate this year’s Eid-el-Kabir, let us reflect on the lesson of sacrifice which Eid-el Kabir signifies, and use the opportunity to pray for these virtues to be demonstrated by Nigerians.

“The year’s Sallah is a clarion call for Nigerians to do more on sacrifice, compassion, selflessness and sincere commitment to work for the unity and progress of this country.

“Considering what the nation is going through, there is the need for more selfless services to God and humanity. This season should go beyond merriment and fun-making. Let us sacrifice more for the poor,” he said.

According to him, Nigerians should renew their commitment to live together, ensure good neighbourliness and love for the country.

“As we celebrate this festive season, let us renew our faith in our nation and work hard to make the country work. Let us pray God to restore the nation to the path of greatness.”

“This year’s Eid-el-Kabir also calls for more patience and patriotism for the good of all and the nation.

“These are virtues needed at this time for the nation to move forward.

“If we all sacrifice for one another, our society will be a good one to live in, as both the rich and the poor will be happy and safe.

“I wish my Muslim bothers and sisters in Amuwo Odofin, Lagos State and Nigeria as a whole happy Eid-el-Kabir,” he said.

Olorunrinu advised Nigerians to take responsibility to stop the spread of COVID-19 by adhering strictly to all the precautionary measures.

He urged Muslims to celebrate responsibly and be cautious of COVID -19.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Muslims in Nigeria celebrated the 2020 Eid-el-Kabir on Friday.

Edited By: Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)

Adeleye Adeyemi: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Health

Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles

Published

on


The Ebonyi Government has pledged to do everything possible to encourage breastfeeding among young mothers in the state to improve child and maternal survival.


The Commissioner for Health in Ebonyi, Dr Daniel Umezurike disclosed this on Tuesday during a press briefing to mark 2020 World Breastfeeding Week in Abakaliki.

Umezurike revealed that the state government considered the feeding critical by creating public awareness campaigns and jingles with support from partners to advocate breastfeeding in the state.

The commissioner also disclosed that civil servants who were nursing mothers in the state had been observing four months paid maternity leave to encourage breastfeeding.

He said that wife of the Governor, Mrs Rachael Umahi had established creches in the women development centre and strategic locations to enhance appropriate feeding.

“This is for mother to get close to their children, even at work so that they can breastfeed intermittently.

He added that they were also allowed after the leave resumption to close at mid-day to enable them return home to their babies to feed them appropriately.

“Breastfeeding is most important way of improving child and maternal survival. We take this very seriously.

“We do all these to encourage, protect and support breastfeeding in the state,” Umezurike said.

According to him, malnutrition is a challenge that reduces production of breast milk, when nursing mother are not properly fed.

Umezurike added that such families to include the downtrodden and widows were supported by Mrs Umahi to ensure family health were protected in the state.

He further stated that COVID-19 pandemic had affected activities, food production, consumption practices degrading land and ecosystems among others, thus every steps taken across life cycle to mitigate environmental degradation and climate crisis.

He stated that the pandemic had demonstrated that the global world interdepend and dependent on same planet, thus needs a healthy planet with support of breastfeeding.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner disclosed current situation report of COVID-19 in the state, saying that total confirmed cases is 871, deaths 25, discharged 804 and active cases is 36.

“We have three isolation centers and some on home isolation,” Umezurike said.

The Baby Friendly Initiative Coordinator in the ministry of Health, Mrs Beatrice Ojinkama described breastfeeding as foundation of live.

Ojinkama gave advantages of initiating breastfeeding to include serving as first immunization for a child to survive, help remove reserved placenta, help in family planning among others processes.

She called on the media to assist partners and the ministry in achieving the scheme.

UVU /

Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger

Published

on


The Police Command in Niger has arrested three suspects over alleged culpable homicide in Chanchaga Local Government Area of the state.


The police also announced the arrest 2 suspects over alleged kidnapping in Shiroro Local Government Area.

ASP Wasiu Abiodun, the Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO), made this known in a statement on Tuesday in Minna.

Abiodun, said that based on information received at about 10:30 hours on July 26, that two teenagers were found lying dead behind M.I Wushishi Housing Estate.

On receipt of the information, police detectives attached to Chanchaga division, swung into action and arrested three suspects in connection with the case, all  of Kpapi village in Chanchaga, Minna.

“During interrogation, the suspects confessed to have conspired and fired a Dane gun at the deceased persons, who they claimed to have encroached and damaged their farmland through illegal mining.

“The suspects will be charge to court after investigation,” Abiodun said.

Similarly, the command has arrested two suspects over alleged kidnapping in Shiroro local government area of the state.

Abiodun said on July 28 at about 09:00 hours, information was  received that unknown gunmen numbering about 14, invaded Nakudna village via Erena in Shiroro and kidnapped one Jambo Salihu of the same address to unknown destination.

On receipt of the information, Police detectives attached to Erena division swung into action and arrested two suspects, both of Nakudna and Kusasu villages in Shiroro local government area in connection with the case.

During interrogation, the suspects confessed to be indigenes of the community but conspired with their armed gang members now at large, and acted as pointers and informants to the bandits.

The victim was rescued unhurt while efforts to arrest  the fleeing suspects was ongoing.

He said that the case was under investigation and the suspects would be charged to court after investigations.

AAG /

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed

Published

on


The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the roll out of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.


The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to a hold after it was launched in six states.

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls the roll out of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February, 2018.

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that government had been implementing policies and programmes to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructure of the industry.

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000

Published

on


Three men, who allegedly stole cell phones worth N43,000 from a woman under cutlass-point, were, on Tuesday, brought before an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos.


The defendants: Sodiq Alamin, 26; Ruya Yakubu, 23 and Yusuf Adamu, 22, all residents of Ilaje Ajah, are standing trial on a three-count charge of conspiracy, theft and armed robbery.

The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against them by the police.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Sgt. Chinedu Uwadiole, had told the court that the defendants committed the offences on July 7, at 8:30 pm. at Ilaje, Ajah, Lagos.

He said that the defendants threatened one Ms Shade Oyeleke with a cutlass and stole a Nokia phone, worth N3, 000 and one VTE phone, worth N40,000 from her.

According to Uwadiole, the offences contravene Sections 287, 297(2)(a) and 299 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.

The Magistrate, Mrs O. S. Ominy, granted them bail in the sum of N500, 000 each, with two sureties each in like sum.

According to the magistrate, the sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State government.

She, thereafter, adjourned the case till Sept. 16, for mention.

Edited By: Nick Nicholas and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum Nasarawa lawmaker condemns killing of former ECDA Secretary 3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000 Edo pensioners happy, no longer wear black, says Shaibu Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS 3rd Mainland Bridge closure: NIWA advises Lagos residents to patronise water transport Digital economy: Nigeria must shift focus from certificate to skills – Pantami Kwara Gov congratulates BUA boss at 60 137 Rangers worldwide die in 2020, says International Rangers’ President Edo 2020: APC youths vow to send Obaseki parking LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19 Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19 Gov. Ugwuanyi distributes CACOVID palliative in Enugu Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa 22 ships discharging petrol, other items at Lagos port — NPA China’s A-share market sees IPO boom in July Lagos COVID-19 recoveries exceed 13,000- NCDC Ford Motor’s CEO steps down amid waning investors’ confidence IOM opens legal facility in Edo for victims of trafficking KTSG to complete ongoing projects by 2022 – Gov Masari FG unveils amended Broadcasting Code says unperturbed by blackmail Sule charges Nasarawa youths to embrace govt. programmes FHC Chief Judge, family members test negative for COVOD-19 after 2 weeks Estate agent, 62, faces property conversion charge Benue Assembly confirms appointment of new Commissioner for Health Kwara deputy gov, wife test positive for COVID-19 Nasarawa NUJ condemns attack, killing of ex-treasurer Court dissolves 5-year-old marriage over battery, adulterous attitude Obaseki’s “MEGA” manifesto will address post-COVID-19 economic shocks in Edo – Aide Ikeja Lions Club donates to orphanage 774,000 Jobs: Committee dispatches 18,900 forms for distribution in Imo  Gombe State Govt. approves 230 hectares of land for Air Force operational base Alleged Money Laundering: EFCC rearraigns ex-AGF Adoke Buhari salutes Abdul-Samad Rabiu at 60 Resumption: Okota-Isolo maintain COVID-19 rules, as schools resume for SS3 students Man, 22, docked over alleged motorcycle theft Court remands 2 men for alleged unlawful possession of gun, threat to life Ogun schools comply with COVID-19 protocols as students resume Only teachers resume in public secondary schools in Nsukka Sales representative docked for alleged impersonation FIRS clarifies NIPOST’s stamp duty claims We stand by elections we conducted, Anambra FA Electoral Committee says