Connect with us

Religion

Eid-el-kabir: Jema’a LG chairman sues for peace

Published

on

Eid-el-kabir: Jema’a LG chairman sues for peace

Mr Peter Averik, Chairman of Jema’a Local Government Area, has enjoined Muslim Faithful in the area to always embrace peace as they marked this year’s Eid-el-kabir celebration.


Averik made the appeal during a Sallah homage to the Emir of Jema’a, Alhaji Muhammadu Isa Muhammadu at his palace in Kafanchan.

He called on the people in the area to be accommodative and tolerant of one another, irrespective of religious or ethnic affiliations

He lamented the recent attack on Zikpak community on July 24 and urged people to respect the curfew imposed by government to avert a further breakdown of law and order in the local government.

Averik commended the Royal Father for the unwavering support accorded the council since it came on board two years ago.

In his remark, Isa-Muhammadu assured the chairman of his Emirate’s support towards peace building initiatives in the area.

Isa-Muhammadu regretted the insecurity in Southern Kaduna, adding that it was unfortunate that the crisis bedeviling the region was being coated with religious colouration.

“Almost every issue around here is given a religious colouration. This is most unfortunate.

“I call on people in the area to shun all tendencies that could lead to a breach of the peace,” he added.

According to him, the cost of peace was far much less than the cost of violence as no meaningful development could take place without peace.

Edited By: Edith Bolokor/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Amen Gajira: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

General news

FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed

Published

on


The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the roll out of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.


The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to a hold after it was launched in six states.

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The News Agency of Nigeria recalls the roll out of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February, 2018.

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that government had been implementing policies and programmes to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructure of the industry.

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

COVID-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, total now 44,129, with 896 deaths

Published

on


The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has announced  288 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the country, which brought the total number of infections to 44,129.


The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Monday.

The agency said that eight new deaths were reported,  bringing the total number of fatalities to 896 across the country. 

The NCDC said that the new infections were recorded in Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory and 13 states.

It stated that Lagos topped the list with 88 new cases, while the FCT reported 25 fresh infections.

Among others were  Kwara, 33, Osun, 27, Enugu, 25, Abia, 20, Kaduna, 17, Plateau and Rivers,  13 each, Delta,  10, and Gombe,  8.

The agency stressed that states with fewer cases include Ogun, 4, Oyo, 3, Katsina,  1 and Bauchi, 1.

It disclosed that the Lagos State Government reported the recovery of 10,946 COVID-19 patients who were being managed at home.

According to it, till  date, 44,129 cases have been confirmed, 20,663 cases discharged and 896 deaths recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

The health agency noted that a multi-sectoral national Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), activated at Level 3, would continue to coordinate the national response activities across the country.

Meanwhile, the  health agency added that washing of  hands frequently with soap under running water was one of the best ways to stop the transmission of diseases like COVID-19 from person to person or after touching contaminated surfaces.

“#TakeResponsibility to keep yourself and loved ones safe and healthy.

“This election period, #TakeResponsibility by adhering to guidelines to protect ourselves  and loved ones from COVID-19, including Physical distancing, Use of hand sanitisers and Use of face mask,” it advised.

The NCDC said there was no specific cure for COVID-19, adding however that some  trial drugs showed promising results but were yet to be validated for use.

“In Nigeria, use of hydroxychloroquine is only limited to clinical trials.

“Please #TakeResponsibility and avoid self-medication,” it stressed.

The agency warned that a high percentage of those infected with COVID-19 did not show any symptom of the disease.

“So, to protect yourself and everyone around you, wear a face mask, maintain physical distancing, wash your hands frequently and follow all guidelines from the NCDC website,” it said.

 

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Buhari greets retired AVM Shekari at 80

Published

on


President Muhammadu Bihari has congratulated a prominent citizen of Kaduna State and one-time Military Administrator of the old Kano State, retired Air Vice Marshal Ishaya Shekari, on his attainment of 80th birthday.


The President’s congratulatory message was conveyed by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, in Abuja on Monday.

Buhari described Shekari as “a remarkable citizen and statesman’’ and thanked him for his many years of service to the nation.

The president prayed for his good health and increased support to his community and the nation.

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Education

NDA screening test to hold Aug. 15 – Registrar

Published

on


The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) says the screening test for all its candidates will hold on Aug. 15 at designated centres across the country, starting from 7:00 am.


The NDA Registrar, Brig.-Gen. Ayoola Aboaba, announced this in a statement issued in Kaduna on Monday.

“This is to bring to the attention of candidates that the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) screening test will now hold on Aug. 15 at designated centres by 7:00 am. prompt.

“All candidates are expected to come with their acknowledgment card, NDA screening test admission card, Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) registration slip and two postcard size (3.5 x 5 inches) photographs.

According to him, each candidate is to write his/her JAMB registration number, full names, state of origin, chosen course, name of test centre and signature at the back of the photograph.

“All candidates are to wear their facemasks and face shields, as any candidate without these protective equipment will not be allowed to write the test.

“Please note for strict compliance,” Aboaba said in the statement.

Edited By: Remi Koleoso and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger Sexual violence: Mrs Akeredolu pledges to partner stakeholders FG to resume Digital Switch Over roll out – Lai Mohammed Multiple taxes: Petroleum dealers in Anambra threaten shutdown, gives 21 day ultimatum Nasarawa lawmaker condemns killing of former ECDA Secretary 3 men in court over alleged stealing of phones worth N43,000 Edo pensioners happy, no longer wear black, says Shaibu Toddler, 2 others die in Ogun lone accident Schools resumption: We are ready for students — NAPPS 3rd Mainland Bridge closure: NIWA advises Lagos residents to patronise water transport Digital economy: Nigeria must shift focus from certificate to skills – Pantami Kwara Gov congratulates BUA boss at 60 137 Rangers worldwide die in 2020, says International Rangers’ President Edo 2020: APC youths vow to send Obaseki parking LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue Breastfeeding Week: Lagos First Lady seeks exclusive breastfeeding for child’s growth NUC says 32 universities involved in research to tackle impacts of COVID-19 Oyo launches state-wide initiative against COVID-19 Gov. Ugwuanyi distributes CACOVID palliative in Enugu Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa 22 ships discharging petrol, other items at Lagos port — NPA China’s A-share market sees IPO boom in July Lagos COVID-19 recoveries exceed 13,000- NCDC Ford Motor’s CEO steps down amid waning investors’ confidence IOM opens legal facility in Edo for victims of trafficking KTSG to complete ongoing projects by 2022 – Gov Masari FG unveils amended Broadcasting Code says unperturbed by blackmail Sule charges Nasarawa youths to embrace govt. programmes FHC Chief Judge, family members test negative for COVOD-19 after 2 weeks Estate agent, 62, faces property conversion charge Benue Assembly confirms appointment of new Commissioner for Health Kwara deputy gov, wife test positive for COVID-19 Nasarawa NUJ condemns attack, killing of ex-treasurer Court dissolves 5-year-old marriage over battery, adulterous attitude Obaseki’s “MEGA” manifesto will address post-COVID-19 economic shocks in Edo – Aide Ikeja Lions Club donates to orphanage 774,000 Jobs: Committee dispatches 18,900 forms for distribution in Imo  Gombe State Govt. approves 230 hectares of land for Air Force operational base Alleged Money Laundering: EFCC rearraigns ex-AGF Adoke Buhari salutes Abdul-Samad Rabiu at 60 Resumption: Okota-Isolo maintain COVID-19 rules, as schools resume for SS3 students Man, 22, docked over alleged motorcycle theft Court remands 2 men for alleged unlawful possession of gun, threat to life Ogun schools comply with COVID-19 protocols as students resume Only teachers resume in public secondary schools in Nsukka Sales representative docked for alleged impersonation FIRS clarifies NIPOST’s stamp duty claims We stand by elections we conducted, Anambra FA Electoral Committee says