The Nigeria News Agency reports that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Monday declared Yahaya Bello and David Lyon as winners of last Saturday’s governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa, respectively.
The APC chapter, in a congratulatory message to Bello and Lyon signed by Mr Bola Babarinde, its Chairman, on Wednesday said their victory on Nov. 16 was based on trust of the electorate.
“The APC-SA wishes to congratulate His Excellency, Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State, and the Governor-elect for Bayelsa State, Mr David Lyon, on a hard fought battle to renew the current mandate and get a mandate respectively.
“Your emergence as governors-elect at the post in the recently concluded governorship elections held on the 16 November, 2019 is no small feat.
“Your choice by the majority of the people is a matter of trust, both in you as persons and in the Party, as credible alternative to rival parties.
“We stated here that this trust must not be abused and the interest of the people should be paramount in the delivery of dividends of democracy.
“Anything short of this will affect both the incoming occupants of the seat and the party, APC, at large politically.
“During the campaign, you made promises and utilised electioneering slogans pointing towards re-engineering, rebuilding the state, ensuring progress and building positions that the indigenes of the state can be proud of.
“With these expectations, the state’s indigenes are counting on you to deliver on the key mandates and campaign promises.
“You both have daunting tasks, and leaving no stone unturned is the best way to start. As a matter of re-emphasis, the future goodwill to APC will depend on your deliveries,’’ it said.
The group urged the governors-elect to let the electorate be glad with their choices and ensure good governance.
“We encourage these leaders to carry along all relevant persons and institutions that will help them achieve their mandates, even if they are from the oppositions.
“We are particularly thrilled at the turn of event in Bayelsa State, where for the first time, the people of this important South-South State robustly trust the leadership of the State to the hands of APC. This trust, once again, must never be betrayed.
“Similarly, in Kogi State, it has been shown that campaign of calumny will only matter if people are sucked into lies of the opposition. While there are great rooms for improvement, we believe that milestones have also been made,’’ it said.
The group commended the political leadership in each of the two states, and at the national level for the roles they played in their emergence.
“New standard must be set for these states in terms of progressiveness, education, agriculture, infrastructures and health.
“Our esteemed Governor Yahaya Bello, the White Lion, will need to prove the critics wrong through focused delivery of the dividend of democracy. Kogi State with its enormous human and material resources should be a shining example in Nigeria.
“The Diasporan Chapters are ever willing partners with your government. Feel free to call on us for assistance when due.
“We believed that it is not a matter of if, but when. We stand ready to partner in the areas of housing, energy, education, agriculture, health and infrastructural development,’’ the group said.
Edited by Tajudeen Atitebi (NAN)
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges
- Lawyers call for abrogation of laws granting ex-governors pension
- Erosion prevention: Stakeholders seek national soil policy
- NIMASA’ll collaborate with other agencies to drive the transport sector – Peterside