Retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, the Minister of Interior, has commended security agencies and the electorates on the peaceful conduct of the Feb. 23, Presidential and National Assembly elections.
Dambazau gave the commendation in a statement issued on Friday by Mr Mohammed Manga, Director, Press and Public Relations of the ministry.
He thanked security agencies for their professionalism and conduct before, during and after the elections.
The minister also applauded Nigerians for coming out en-mass to exercise their civic responsibility, the outcome of which had been adjudged free, fair and credible.
He noted that the elections were overwhelmingly peaceful, condemned reported cases of violence in few areas and condoled with families of those who lost their loved ones in such circumstances.
He said that government had avowed to bring the perpetrators to justice and assured Nigerians of peaceful governorship and state Assembly elections.
Dambwzau directed security agencies to redouble their efforts to ensure the safety of lives and property during the March 9 elections.
The minister re-emphasised government’s resolve to deal with any person, or group of persons in possession of firearms and other dangerous weapons or persons engaging in electoral violence/thuggery and other acts of threats to internal security, in accordance with the laws. (NNN)
Edited by Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Grace Yussuf
- Ndume asks Buhari to assent to Peace Corps Bill
- Lagos BRT operator announces increase in fares
- Group seeks end to age-limit for women seeking assisted reproduction technology in Lagos
- Group honours Niger citizens killed in violence
- Don’t expose your children to cold during rainy season, Paediatrician warns parents
- ICPC investigating cases of COVID-19 fraud — official
- APC distributes palliatives to indigents, vulnerable in Ebonyi
- Court convicts 24 motorists in Imo for violating COVID-19 guidelines
- Thai-Malaysian border shuts again after reports of new COVID-19 cases
- Africa’s COVID-19 cases hit 123,000 – WHO
- COVID-19: Katsina builds 722-bed capacity isolation centres – Masari
- Old students donate N1m to Plateau COVID-19 fund
- COVID-19: NHIS donates PPE to Police
- Revised 2020 budget: Buhari seeks Senate approval for $5.513bn external loans
- Rwandan top genocide fugitive gets life sentence
- English Premier League to restart on June 17
- I-G orders deployment of 11 CPs to states, formations
- Abacha Loot III: Ministry of Justice opens technical bid for implementation monitoring
- Somalia confirms 97 new COVID-19 cases as tally hits 1,828
- One in two Germans regards electric scooters on public roads as “distraction”: survey