Mr Antia Ekanem, the Assistant Director of Public Affairs of the commission, issued the warning in a statement on Friday in Abuja.
Ekanem said that broadcasters should abide by the provisions of the Broadcast Code and the Electoral Act regarding announcement of election results.
The assistant director urged them to abide by Sections 5, 2, and 15 of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code.
According to him, the sections stipulate that a broadcaster shall broadcast election results or declaration of the winner only as announced by the authorised electoral officer for the election.
“A broadcaster shall not use any vote obtained at different polling stations or from exit polls, to project or speculate on the chances of the candidates.
“The commission is therefore constrained to caution all broadcasters to adhere to the provisions stated above in order to avoid stiff penalty as stipulated by the code,” he stated.
- Police denies robbery attempt at CBN in Benin
- FG to equip 200,000 youths with digital skill in 2 years
- Alleged illegal marriage: Court orders police to release Sharia court Judge, 5 others
- Bayelsa: APC promises violence-free election
- David-West, highly-principled, morally-upright Nigerian – Tinubu
- Diabetes: Group urges President Buhari to assent bill establishing Dietitian Council of Nigeria
- Hajj: Saudi hotel group woos Nigerian pilgrims
- Nasarawa Assembly moves to rename state poly after Late Emir Agwai
- Reps C’ttee asks FIRS to return N4.6bn to FCT
- University of Abuja appoints new Registrar
- Katsina CJ ‘angry’ with armchair lawyers commenting on legal issues in social media
- Alleged corruption: Judge threatens to strike out suit EFCC case against Diezani
- Minister lauds NASS speedy consideration of 2019 Finance bill
- Alleged N2.1bn fraud: Court grants Dokpesi’s request to travel abroad for medical checkup
- Police methods discourages community collaboration—RULAAC
- Tanzanian president promises to shake off donor dependence syndrome
- Bill to amend Sokoto Assembly Service Commission Law passes 2nd reading
- Again, Kaduna revenue agency seals-off 3 companies over N13.2m tax evasion
- Zamfara Govt. warns herders against destroying farm produce
- NSE market indices rose by 0.54% after Eid-el Malud celebration