A 23-year-old elevator operator, Stephen Oluwaseyi, was on Tuesday docked before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing a motorcycle and other valuables worth N522,000.
Oluwaseyi, who resides at 7, Cebe Ota Street in Alagbado, Lagos State, is being tried for conspiracy, stealing, assault and housebreaking.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the four-count charge.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Kenrich Nomayo, said that the defendant committed the stealing in conspiracy with six others still at large, on June 10 at 2.00a.m. in Alagbado.
Nomayo said that Oluwaseyi and the others broke into the apartments of Messrs Victor Opeyemi, Matthew Olom, Jacob Kambre and one other person, at 16 James Oloyede Street, Alagbado, and stole the items.
He alleged that the defendant stole one LG plasma television set valued at N250,000, an Amigo cell phone worth N20,000, one Itel P33 phone valued at N22,000 and one Bajaj motorcycle worth N230,000.
Nomayo also told the court that the defendant assaulted the complainants by hitting them with sticks and inflicting knife cuts on them.
He said that after the defendant and the others carted away the stolen items, the complainants chased them and recovered only the television, generator and Amigoo phone.
He said that the offences contravened Section 173, 307 and 287 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.
NAN reports that stealing and assault are punished with three years’ imprisonment while housebreaking attracts two years’ jail term for offenders.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs T.A. Ojo, admitted the defendant to N250,000 bail with two sureties in like sum.
Ojo said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and possess evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She also ordered blood relations of the defendant and reside within the court’s jurisdiction.
The magistrate adjourned the case until Aug. 15 for mention.
- El-Rufai, others laud Amaechi’s selfless service at 55
- COVID-19: Abia records three new confirmed cases, total number rises to 10
- COVID-19: Nigerian-British bilateral relationship remains strong – envoy
- Stakeholders urge Enugu Assembly to review state urban, regional plan law
- Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
- Zamfara: Police partner ex bandits, rescue 12 kidnap victims -PPRO
- LG polls: Benue PDP chairman optimistic of victory
- Lagos reinvigorates e-governance, boosts network
- NITDA presents national outsourcing strategy to stakeholders
- Ogun set to resume normal business, eases lockdown
- Northern Governors congratulate Masari @70
- Austria to pay artists 1,000 euros a month to weather Covid-19 crisis
- Akande emerges Chairman of Ibadan LG Properties Company
- Buhari hails Consul-General Godwin Adama at 60
- Navy appoints 110 senior officers
- Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States
- Gov Okowa’s wife donates food items to 5 correctional centres
- COVID-19: We’ve yet to receive promised ventilators from U.S. – Minister
- OYO APC inaugurates Alao-Akala led reconciliation committee
- Ibadan Poly manufactures ventilator, hand washing machine