Connect with us

Defence/Security

Elkana takes over as new Lagos Police PRO

Published

on

PPRO

Lagos, March 11, 2019 The Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, CP Zubairu Muazu, has appointed DSP Bala Elkana as the new Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the State.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Elkana

took over from CSP Chike Oti.

Elkana was enlisted into the Nigeria Police in 2003, holds a Bachelors degree in Law (LLB), Masters Degree in Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution as well as Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA).

The spokesman had served in different commands and held various positions, including Operations Officer, Divisional Crime Officer, Divisional Police Officer and Community Policing Officer.

He was at various times police public relations officer in Niger and Akwa Ibom.

He is a Fellow of Corporate Institute of Administration, an active member of International Association of Chiefs of Police and a member of Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR).

Until his recent posting, he was an Investigator in the Inspector General of Police (I-G) Monitoring Unit.

Advertisement

Defence/Security

Another Catholic priest abducted in Enugu

Published

on

The Enugu Police Command said Saturday in Enugu that it has commenced a massive manhunt of abductors of a Catholic Priest, Rev.-Fr. Theophilus Ndulue.

This was coming barely two weeks after the release of another catholic priest earlier abducted in the state.

According to the Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Ebere Amaraizu, Ndulue was abducted by unidentified gunmen on his way home along Amansiodo Road in Ndiagu-Oghe in Ezeagu Local Government Area on Friday evening while returning from a pastoral council meeting.

Amaraizu while confirming the incident, in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency in Enugu described the abduction as unfortunate.

He however, said that police operatives would leave no stone unturned to secure release the catholic priest unhurt.

“We have launched a massive trail for the rescue and release of the priest from his abductors as soon as possible.

“I assure the good people of Enugu and the Catholic family that we will get at them and bring them to book.

“However, we are circumspect on the operation in order to ensure that the Catholic priest is released unhurt,’’ he assured.

Amaraizu said that Ndulue, who was the Parish Priest of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Ihuonyia, Amansiodo, was initially kidnapped alongside the Chair lady, Catholic Women Organisation in his parish, Mrs Stella Nwodo.

He said that Nwodo was later released by the abductors.

NAN recalls that this was happening barely two weeks after Rev.-Fr Arinze Madu, Deputy Rector, Queen of the Apostle Spiritual Year Seminary, Imezi Owa in Ezeagu Local Government Area, was released by his abductors.

Madu had been kidnapped at the seminary gate on Oct. 29.

edited by Emmanuel Nwoye/Maureen Atuonwu

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

FRSC visits hospital, sympathises with accident victims in Kebbi

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Kebbi, on Saturday, visited the Sir Yahayya Memorial Hospital, Birni Kebbi, to sympathise with the victims of road crashes in the state.

The state FRSC Sector Commander, Mr Abayomi Asaniyan, while briefing the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Aminu Bunza, said that the command was doing everything possible to minimise road crashes in the state.

“Our visit is part of activities marking the 2019 World Accident Victims Remembrance Week.

“I, my staff and special marshals have come here to sympathise with victims of various road accidents; we want to urge you to always observe traffic rules and regulations to forestall further occurrences,” he said.

According to Asaniyan, the FRSC is not only for enforcement and rescue of road users, but to also follow up crash victims.

He said that the victims had spent so much on their medical bills, hence the move by the corps to donate a few items to assist them.

“The FRSC is also striving to “catch them young” with the creation of 50 more road safety club units in various schools in Kebbi State.

“The Corps is also harmonising operations of cyclists in the state with the creation of a central database for them and issuance of uniform and code to them,” he said.

The FRSC chief expressed appreciation to the hospital’s management for prompt medical attention to the victims as well as assistance from private individuals.

In his remarks, Bunza thanked the corps for choosing the hospital for the visitation, adding “here, we give FRSC rescue teams priority.

He said that the state government had, about six years ago, approved free first medical treatment for road accident victims.

Bunza said that the hospital was working on building a trauma centre for road accident victims, which would be inaugurated in 2020.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that items given to the crash victims included medical consumables and toiletries, while drugs were also donated to the hospital.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

.

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Exercise Ayem Akpatuma2: Army embarks on community services in Nasarawa community

Published

on

The Nigerian Army on Saturday embarked on sanitation exercise at Toto market in Toto Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

The environmental sanitation carried out by the officers and soldiers of the brigade involved clearing of garbage and refuse in and around the market as well as clearing of drainages on major roads in the town.

Speaking on the exercise, the Commander, Guard Brigade, Brig.-Gen. Muhammed Usman, represented by his Chief of Staff, Col. Kassim Sidi, said that the exercise was part of activities of Exercise Ayem Akpatuma II 2019.

Usman said the exercise was aimed at creating a secured environment for the people to go about their normal businesses during the months of festivities.

According to him, part of the activities we lined up is civil military cooperation where you see the military coming into the society to render certain assistance to endear us to the larger society.

“The sanitation which we have just conducted this morning is part of it.

“There are many activities lined up such as medical outreach, educational aid distribution to schools, sports, visitation to hospitals and correctional facilities to mention a few.

“We want the society to believe that the military is part of them. We don’t want to appear hostile to them, we want them to feel free with us, mix with us and also know that we have something to offer to give back to them.

“So, this is what we are building on and what we shall continue to do in subsequent exercises,” he said.

Usman explained that the exercise was created by the army headquarters to address security challenges in parts of the country.

He disclosed that the activities of kidnappers had reduced in Toto general area since the arrival and setting up super camp at Kukia-Sabo.

According to him, by the time we are through with this exercise in January, we will have zero or close to zero criminal activities in this area.

He commended the officers and soldiers that took part in the sanitation exercise, saying that the army had the mandate to give back to the society.

On his part, the Chairman of Toto Local Government Area, Prince Nuhu Dauda, said that the presence of the military and other security agencies in his local government had brought comfort to his people.

Dauda added that the recent security threats like kidnapping in the area had been a source of concern, adding that the exercise was welcomed in the area for so many reasons.

The chairman said the sanitation exercise being carried out by the army in Toto market was a confidence booster that the military and the civilians could relate peacefully.

He added that ordinary Nigerians usually looked at military men as unfriendly people, saying that the exercise had enhanced civil military relations and friendliness.

“The presence of the military in my local government is a comfort to my heart and my people.

“Toto local government used to be a peaceful and friendly local government but for sometimes now, there have been activities of criminals especially the activities of kidnappers that have become rampant all over the country but your home is where you know.

“Precisely I know that if Toto is safe, a segment of Nasarawa state is safe and also a segment of Nigeria is safe and that is why I am very happy.

“On the community service, I want to tell you that I am very happy with the sanitation exercise because the surroundings where the market is, requires cleaning and the army has brought this intervention,” he said.

The Chief Market Overseer, Toto Market, Mr Adugu Ibrahim, commended the army for the exercise, describing it as a rare opportunity for the military to clean a local market.

Ibrahim said that the presence of the military in the community had encouraged the locals to go about their normal businesses without fear of insecurity.

He said that kidnapping had been a challenging threat in the area in recent time, adding that the people were ready to cooperate with the army by providing useful information.

According to him, they will make sure that the traders continue to consolidate on the exercise to enhance the sanitation of the market.

“We are very happy with this activities because it shows that the military is concerned about our security and well being because health is very important,” he said.

Also, Musa Maikaya, Youth Leader, called on the government to create a permanent military base in the area to address the challenge of insecurity.

“We have challenge of kidnapping here and we hope that with the presence of the military now, things will change,” he said.

Nigeria News Agency , reports that the representative of the Commander, Sidi, led the Chairman of the local government to the Kukia- Sabo Super Camp to visit the troops.

The super camp is being coordinated by the army in collaboration with other security agencies such as the police and immigration.

Edited by Abiemwense Moru/Ismail Abdulaziz

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Internal Security: British Advisory Training Team commences training for NAF personnel

Published

on

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says the British Military Advisory Training Team (BMATT) has commenced training of a fresh batch of 758 of its Regiment and Air Provost personnel.

The Air Force said the training was on Force Protection in Complex Air-Ground Environment (FP-CAGE).

Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, NAF Director of Public Relations and Information made this known in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.

Daramola said the one-month long FP-CAGE Course 9/2019, which commenced on Nov. 4 was being conducted by a team of Royal Air Force (RAF) Regiment instructors at the Regiment Training Centre (RTC), NAF Base Kaduna.

“The course is aimed at building additional capacity to ensure the protection of NAF bases and assets as well as other critical national aviation-related facilities, like airports, with a view to further bridging the gap between Air Power projection and Air Power protection,”.

Daramola said that AVM Idi Amin, the Air Officer Commanding Ground Training Command (AOC GTC), expressed satisfaction with the progress of the training.

He urged the participants to make the most use of the opportunity given to them for being selected for the course.

Amin emphasised that upon completing the course on Dec.6, they would be expected to add significant value to ongoing internal security operations across the country.

Edited by Maureen Atuonwu

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Re-Issued: Western Naval Command, NAVTRAC decorate newly promoted officers in Lagos

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy have decorated 19 newly promoted officers of the Western Naval Command (WNC) and the Naval Training Command (NAVTRAC) in Lagos.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that 12 officers of WNC were decorated by the Flag Officer Commanding (FOC), Rear Adm. Oladele Daji, while seven officers of NAVTRAC were also decorated by the FOC, Rear Admiral Stanford Enoch, on Friday.

Daji urged the newly promoted senior officers to take their new responsibility seriously, as new position demanded higher responsibility.

“I want to encourage the newly promoted senior officers that this is a call to higher responsibility based on the trust and confidence that the Nigerian Navy and indeed the nation has put on you.

“You should not take it for granted, you were the few promoted among the many and let me also state that those that didn’t benefit from the promotion this year, it is not that you didn’t qualify.

“As you know the officers call is a pyramid and that pyramid has to be maintained and therefore I pray and believe that if you do not lose hope, next year is just around the corner.

“You will be duly remembered,” he aid.

He urged them to exercise effective oversight in their new position.

NAN reports that some of the newly promoted officers to the rank of Commodore in WNC are Gideon Kachim, Danjuma Ndanusa, Haruna Zego and Paul Efe-Oghene.

Those promoted to the rank of Captain are Olusegun Awofe, Kelechi Ogbonna, Adamu Mohammed and Abdullahi Mohammed.

Those in the Commander cadre are: Yayah Sado, Mohammed Lawal, Abubakar Maigado and Atari Affi.

Also speaking during the ceremony, Enoch, FOC NAVTRAC, urged the newly promoted seven officers in his command to remain diligent.

“Please, remember that every privilege has a concurrent responsibility.

“You do show diligence and make sure that your elevation to this higher rank and responsibility contributes the very best to move the NAVTRAC.

“And indeed the Nigeria Navy forward in ensuring national security and protecting the maritime border of our nation,” he said.

The FOC NAVTRAC enjoined spouses of the newly promoted officers on continued support, saying that the Command could not afford to do less in training personnel.

The officers promoted to the rank of Commodore in NAVTRAC are Usman Gombe,  Olutola Olukoya, Ibrahim Mohammed, Stephen Ibrahim, Usman Faruk.

Also, Yayah Mohammed was promoted to the rank of captain while Edward Iyaji was promoted to the rank of commander.

The event was attended by families of the promoted officers and other dignitaries.

Edited by Wale Ojetimi

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

40, 000 persons displaced by floods in Borno – UN

Published

on

The United Nations Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), has expressed concern over the conditions of more than 40,000 displaced persons affected by flood in Rann, Kalabalge Local Government Area (LGA) of Borno.

In a statement issued in Maiduguri on Saturday, OCHA said the affected persons including women and children lacked access to food and basic services due to floods which submerged Rann, Kalabalge LGA headquarters, and its environs on Nov. 7.

OCHA attributed the flood to the release of excess water from Kaalia River, neighbouring Cameroon, in the statement signed by its Head of Communication Eve Sabbagh.

It said that the flood damaged an estimated 4, 000 hectares of farmlands and destroyed crops, which Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Rann mainly depended on for food.

The UN agency lamented that the area was difficult to access for humanitarian assistance due to the high level of insecurity and dilapidated road.

“Stranded populations are running short of food and those who can afford it are paying high sums to be transported to the other areas, putting their lives at risks while crossing the river or running for safety.

“More than 300 people from Rann have managed to reach Ngala, a town some 40 kilometers away from the area, according to the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), they managed to leave Rann before the road became impassable.

“Humanitarian partners are mobilising resources to reach the stranded population via the UN Humanitarian Air Services, until access is secured for small boats.

“Providing food is the main priority, along with water, shelters and emergency health services,” OCHA said in the statement.

The UN agency revealed further that more than 100, 000 people were also affected by severe floods in seven local government areas of Adamawa since Oct. 27, occasioned by torrential rainfall and overflow of water from rivers Niger and Benue.

It explained that the flood caused displacement to about 19, 000 people, adding that government had set up nine IDP camps, to facilitate effective response to affected persons.

It also said that the UN and humanitarian partners had scaled up assistance in Adamawa and provided reproductive health kits to more than 56, 000 people, 400 families received non-food items and 4, 000 other families got farming inputs.

According to the UN agency, also more than 300, 000 persons are affected in Adamawa and Borno in the worst flood disaster since 2012.

OCHA noted that the damage was five-times higher than expected in the humanitarian contingency plan, which was based on an average from previous floods.

“The latest flood is coming at a time when the rainy season would usually be over, compounding an already dire humanitarian situation in two of the three states most affected by the 10-year old conflict, with 7.1 million people in need of urgent assistance this year.

“The 2019 Humanitarian Response Plan for Nigeria is seeking 848 million dollars to assist 6.2 million people and is 60 per cent funded so far,” OCHA added.

Edited by Saidu Adamu/Nyisom Fiyigon Dore

Continue Reading

© 2019 NNN NEWS NIGERIA. EDITOR@NNN.COM.NG