The Emir of Daura Alhaji Farouk Umar has commended Nigerian journalists for their resilience, commitment, dedication and selflessness in the conduct of their responsibilities.
The monarch made the commendation at his palace in Daura on Monday when the Katsina State chapter of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) presented award of excellence to some illustrious sons of the emirate.
He described journalism as a veritable tool for national development, stressing that without objective, factual and accurate media coverage of events, the society would be in total darkness.
Farouk said the media not only educate and enlighten the people, but also check the excesses of leaders as well as promote democracy and political participation.
He assured that traditional rulers would continue to support objective, balanced and fair operation of the media by supporting journalists to exercise their constitutional roles.
The emir lauded the state chapter of NUJ for honoring distinguished personalities in his domain who contributed immensely to the development of the profession and humanity.
Earlier, the state NUJ chairman, Alhaji Buhari Mamman said the award was in recognition of the contributions offered by the awardees towards the development of journalism and media practice in the country.
He said the awardees had at one time or other distinguished themselves and contributed immensely to the development of the profession.
Mamman commended the emir for his immense support to journalists, especially the free hand he extended to them in the conduct of their duties.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that among those honoured were the former editor of New Nigerian Newspapers, Malam Mamman Daura, former General Managers of Katsina State Radio and Television, Malam Ibrahim Hamisu and Malam Aminu Danbaba.
The union had earlier honoured late Gen. Shehu Yaradua, publisher of the defunct Reporter newspaper, late Abidina Kumasi, publisher of Today and Abuja Mirror newspapers and Hindatu Umar Abdullahi, the Ayyanan Daura,.
Similarly, the NUJ had presented meritorious service award to Malam Wada Maida, the Board Chairman of Nigeria News Agency, and late distinguished scholar, Dr Yusuf Bala Usman. (NAN)
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed 8
- Ebonyi NOA, UNICEF move to raise awareness on safe practices for healthy living
- 2019 INAC: Ogun woos visitors to explore tourism assets
- Centre trains Armory managers from 15 countries to curtail arms proliferation
- Gridlock: Lagos Assembly asks Sanwo-Olu to focus on scheduled maintenance
- KDSG urges religious leaders to spread messages of peace
- Lagos House of Assembly approves N250bn loan for capital projects
- AFRIMA- Stakeholders urge artistes to utilise digital platforms for distribution
- Artist drums up support for the Art sector
- Experts call for private sector participation in health security
- Ogun govt. advocates modern teaching techniques for special schools
- A.Y partners Chinese firm to produce new movie `30 days’
- NAN Acting MD tasks staff on commitment “in spite of financial challenges”
- Plateau: NPC launches 2018 NDHS report
- Chris Brown welcomes second child with girlfriend
- ENSG targets 1m children in immunisation plus days
- Resign, aggrieved APC NEC members tell Oshiomhole
- INAC 2019: Culture agency provides free skills training
- Friendly environment: Minister urges public-private sector collaboration
- Why God’s ways remain unpredictable, incomprehensible – Don
- Air Chief pleased with maintenance progress on Alpha Jets In NAF Base
- EU tasks AU on solidarity, unity for AfCFTA to succeed
- Town Hall meeting stakeholders advocate interface reps
- Webber donates N9m sports facilities to alma mater
- Lawmaker lays foundation for block of six classrooms in Badagry
- Kwara Govt. tasks new NURTW executives on peace, unity
- Customs Comptroller-General to sack officers living above earnings
- NIS begins E-passport, biometric visa issuance in Japan
- Burundian Ambassador calls for proper funding of science innovation
- Ghanaian Parliamentarian says Nigeria closure of border affects trade
- NiMet predicts sunny, thundery activities for Saturday
- Nigeria, S’Africa mull MoU on assets recovery -Magu
- I’m not going to attempt 3rd term, says Buhari
- Army: Over 1,000 persons benefit from free medical care in Ibadan
- VC’s not against IPPIS: Prof. Kimbir
- EFCC uncovers alleged fraud of N5bn from Kwara revenue fund
- Zamfara Assembly reaffirms suspension of Shinkafi LG chairman
- Researchers find 1,000 yr old Viking-era ship in western Norway
- Police in Benue discover 3 family members dead in a room
- Iranian cleric says protest leaders deserve death sentence
- South African Airways inks deal to end eight-day strike
- WHO: Inactivity puts health of adolescents worldwide at risk
- Niger governor’s aide trains journalists on digital media
- Navy decorates 16 new Rear Admirals
- NAN acting MD, other management staff in Lafia for 2-day retreat
- FG lauds capacity to tackle public health threats
- Traders count losses over Oyingbo market closure
- SEC reviewing NSE demutualisation application, assures transparent process
- Experts say green policies, legal routes needed for climate refugees
- Osinbajo receives Oduduwa University founder at Aso Villa
- Sokoto Judgement: APC heads to Supreme Court