The Consul General of Nigeria in New York, Mr Benaoyagha Okoyen, on Tuesday advised jobless and homeless Nigerians in the U.S. to return home, saying that the consulate was ready to assist those willing to return.
Speaking at a conference on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) hosted by the consulate in New York, Okoyen said that the provision of accommodation for the homeless Nigerians was not part of the consulate’s mandates.
According to him, the best his office can do in such circumstance is to counsel affected persons.
The CG was responding to appeals by some conference participants, who drew his attention to the plight of many Nigerians suffering in the streets of New York and elsewhere in the country.
The consul general, who admitted that many Nigerians were truly suffering, said that only persons living honestly in the U.S. were entitled to consular services in the event of ill-treatment.
“When they come to us we always advise them that home is home. It is not part of our mandate to start looking for accommodation for you here.
“What we can do is that if you are unjustly treated, we intervene with the relevant authorities to make sure that your right is respected.
“And that means that your stay here is legal; you must also not have committed any crime that warrants whatever treatment that you are getting.
“We will at all times intervene in circumstances like that. But the best thing is that if you have nothing doing, I advise you go back home,’’ he said.
The consul general also solicited the support and partnership of the Nigerian community especially in the area of information sharing on the conditions of fellow citizens in the country.
“ We need to know what is going on also, because we don’t know everything that is going on. People need to inform us about what is going on.
“Once that is done we would be able to know what next step to take. Again, partnership is key. The Nigerian mission is a resource that you have.
“We are your representatives that you can run to at any point in time. That is very important,’’ he said
One of the participants, Ms Bernadine Uzor, painted a gloomy picture of the living conditions of many Nigerians in the U.S.
Uzor, who is the Coordinator of Asabe Shehu Yar’Adua Foundation, said that homelessness was a serious issue in the Nigerian community.
He, therefore, pleaded with the consulate to help through the provision of accommodation.
“Acting on false impression, many of our people come here from Nigeria only to start suffering and dying in the streets of America.
“I put some of them in churches, because when I find them in the streets, I am not happy about it.
“I have somebody right now dying in a shelter, and the people don’t care. They just want to see that the woman dies so they can throw her away.
“I want to know what you are doing about our children who are deceived from home with false stories of America being a heaven, only to come here and discover that it is a different story,’’ she said.
Adenike Oyejide, another participant and Vice Chairperson of the African Advisory Council, Bronx, New York, said that Africans in the Diaspora were part of the problem.
Oyejide said that that besides promoting corruption back home, they usually paint false pictures of America, a situation which encouraged their family members, friends and relations to think that money grew on trees in the country.
“Starting from some years ago, some of us encouraged the politicians to come here and buy houses worth millions of dollars when you and I working here in the rain, sun and winter cannot afford to buy a 100,000 dollar home cash.
“Two, some of us when we go home, we paint a different picture of what America is all about. Most of us do not tell our people the truth that in America you don’t pluck dollars from trees.
“If you work for a white man or even black man in this country, if you don’t work for an hour you will get nothing. Even that one hour pay, they will deduct the taxes and give you the change.
“When we go home and they tell us they want to come to America, we encourage them even when we know they don’t have enough education or skills to be relevant here.
“For me, that is human trafficking because you don’t tell that person the right thing. We don’t ask them what they want to do here. They come here and become a problem.
`So, we in the Diaspora should start rethinking and refocus what we say when we go home of have a phone call with our people,’’ she said.
- C/River destroys illegal structures in Etim-Edem Park
- WASA: Commander tasks soldiers on discipline
- Smuggling: NIS intercepts 42 bags of foreign rice at Kankara
- Nigeria’s border closure not to punish neighbours – Buhari
- Buhari symathises with Emir of Pokiskum, Umaru Bubaram, over bandits’ attack
- NiMet predicts dust haze condition for Sunday
- Nigeria targets first 70 by 2023 in ease of doing business — SGF
- Prof. Mallam, killed in Kaduna gas explosion buried
- Golf: 3 Div organises special kitty to honour fallen heroes
- My faith remains strong in Nigeria, democracy – Ihedioha
- How to prevent full-blown attack of migraine headache – Expert
- Presidential aide commends FG’s reform of justice sector
- Minister praises Adekuroye for Gold feat in Rome
- Institute to revoke certificates of non performing members
- Minister tasks Nigerians on patriotism, commitment to nation building
- 608 repentant Boko Haram insurgents currently undergoing rehabilitation- military
- APC governors forum urges Nigerians to defend judiciary
- NANTS demands comprehensive costs, benefits analysis on ECO currency
- Don calls for adoption of Malikiyya law in sharia courts
- Kwara Govt didn’t ban religious activities in public schools – CAN
- Zamfara APC commends members for perseverance
- Niger Delta ministry reiterates commitment to partner Abia Govt. on infrastructural devt
- Capacity building, infrastructure crucial to tourism development – Expert
- Kidnappings: Minister urges Nigerians to reduce desperation for money
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Kwara govt constitutes White Paper committees on KWASU, environment
- Staff fitness crucial to organisation’s performance, NNPC GMD says at sports fiesta
- Barack Obama eulogises wife as she turns 56
- Chief of Air Staff commends Logistics Command after inspecting capital projects in Lagos
- Handball coach says, `Ban lifted, I am still ready to work`
- Medical outreach: 5,000 patients get free treatment in Adamawa
- BCDA executes 38 projects in Katsina, inaugurates health centre
- Lagosians express concerns following NAFDAC’s alert on using Paracetamol for food preparation
- Chronic Leg Ulcer affects 10 per cent of sickle cell patients- NGO
- Diabetes increases risk of eye diseases – Ophthalmologist
- Lekan Are, foremost Nigerian agronomist, dies at 86
- NUJ President commends FG’s fight against insurgency
- LCCI to collaborate with brokers to promote insurance
- Lassa fever: Medical Expert cautions against drinking Garri
- Access Bank secures final approval for Kenyan Transnational Bank acquisition
- UNIPORT gets 37 new professors
- Gov. Dickson inaugurates Golf Course as Int’l Open Invitational Tournament ends in Bayelsa
- Kebbi govt. inaugurates committee for 2020 Argungu Fishing festival
- ECO Currency: NANTS urges FG, ECOWAS to address corruption, other key priorities
- Rotary Club donates medical equipment to Alimosho General Hospital
- Yuletide: Road accidents claim 31 lives in Ogun
- A’Ibom Govt. donates relief materials to fire victims
- Niger govt. to partner NGOs on youth empowerment – Official
- Greenhouses protect crops from ultraviolet sun rays, pests – Expert
- 5,070 suspects arrested in 2019 for crimes, says Edo Police Command
- Recapitalisation: NIA lauds NAICOM, urges insurers to take advantage of extension
- Re-Run Election: LG chairman warns voters against violence
- Gov. Abiodun promises better relationship with students
- Gunmen kill 2 in Kaduna community
- Retired Nurse urges parents to allow their children to be de-wormed
- Enugu State Govt. trains 65 youths on tomatoes production technology —Official
- Gombe: NGO advocates stronger environmental laws to check indiscriminate felling of trees
- FG soon to direct public broadcasting outfits to priotise disability matters
- Umuahia armed robbery victim dies from gunshot wounds — Deceased’s brother
- Pregnancy: Gynaecologist stresses importance of ANC
- Global Fund: Health minister harps on 3 pillars for effective coordination
- CBN, Ekiti Govt. pledge to support NACOTAN for massive cotton production
- Nasarawa Govt. seeks stronger synergy with SWAN
- Gov. El-Rufai inaugurates Milk Farm Project for 1000 households
- Lafia specialist hospital to begin training of doctors on residency – CMD
- TCN restores supply after system collapse
- Coronation: Emir of Lafia tasks new traditional ruler on fairness, justice
- Prosecute perpetrators of violence, NMA charges members
- HIV: FG approves Omega Visitect CD4 Rapid Test Kit
- FG feeds 194,707 pupils in Enugu
- Buhari, First Lady counsel Garba Shehu’s son on patience in marriage
- New waterfront commissioner promises viability of Lagos waterways
- NIS inaugurates central store at headquarters
- LASEMA confirms building collapse, fire outbreak in Lagos
- Nasarawa speaker tasks community on unity, peaceful co-existence
- Kano State Fire Service gets Acting Director
- LASG calls for environmental protection, behavioural change
- CP parades 2 child traffickers, recovers 9 children in Enugu
- Japan’s suicide rate drops for 10th straight year to record low in 2019
- We will not tolerate personnel excesses in 2020 -Edo CP
- Human Trafficking: Omolola Ajayi arrives Abuja from Lebanon, handed over to NAPTIP
- 1.64m jobs created by manufacturing sector over time — MAN
- FRSC decorates 32 newly-promoted officers, marshals in Kogi
- London summit: ACFTA to top discussion as Adesina visits UK
- Ooni honours 100 Nigerian youth leaders
- Stakeholders seek more female scientists to promote STEM
- I will bequeath free, fair elections-Buhari
- China’s ZTE, local telecom firm start 5G technology trial in Uganda
- Nigeria should lead Africa on AGOA, says U.S.-based trade promoter
- 23-yr-old emerges best graduating student of JABU
- Multiple sexual partners increases risk of cervical cancer- NGO
- Former world’s shortest man from Nepal dies at 28
- President, Lagos Dance says, “dance, a viable tool for youth empowerment”
- Cambodia releases measures to curb, reduce air pollution
- MFM FC targets third away victory against Wikki Tourists
- Police confirm death a man in hotel
- 9ice marks 40th birthday in style
- EFCC arrests 6 over alleged internet fraud in Ilorin
- NUJ declares one week mourning for assassinated journalist
- Police nab 4 in connection with fight between two rival groups in Niger
- Onu solicits private sector support for methanol production in Nigeria
- N-Power: Plateau Govt. cautions citizens against fraudsters, fake portals
- NSE: Trading defies December inflation figure, index up 0.90%
- Gov. Oyetola wants experts in private sector to support Nigeria’s economy
- Commander charges 378 promoted FRSC officers to live above board
- Toyin Abraham eulogies husband on his birthday
- Akeredolu reiterates importance of NDDC forensic audit
- Benue govt. says negotiations on N30,000 minimum wage still ongoing
- PDP pledges to defend Nigeria democracy, institutions
- ‘Sugar Rush’ movie returns to cinema
- Don calls for Sharia Courts in South West
- 2 to die by hanging for murder in Osun
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on dedication, hard work
- We sag our trousers to keep in vogue – Youths
- Uzodinma appoints SSG, AG, CPS, others
- FRSC decorates 36 newly promoted officers in Bayelsa
- Abia Polytechnic to punish extortionists, says governing Council chairman
- Buhari departs Abuja for London ahead of UK-Africa Investment Summit
- Expert says vertical farming system preserves arable lands
- Ex-FUTO VC calls for upgrade of facilities in nation’s universities
- Lagos mass transit train: NRC to resume services soon – official
- NAMA begins calibration of landing aids at Lagos Airport
- Finance Act will reposition economy — Expert
- Xi meets Myanmar State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi
- Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident preventable if… – FRSC Zonal Commander
- Insurgency: Nigeria takes delivery of fighter helicopters, gets more in February – AVM Abubakar
- Prices of local poultry produce will soon crash in spite of continued border closure – PAN
- Atiku proposes committee to review recent elections
- More funds, intervention will boost tourism sector, says NTDC boss
- Team Nigeria win 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze medal at African Track Championship
- FG to boost national economy with methanol production
- Gowon Estate: Mosan/Okunola inaugurates new CDA officers, tasks them on devt
- Teenager docked for allegedly stealing conduit wire
- Expired products: NAFDAC advises Nigerians to be vigilant
- LASEMA rescues trapped victim from collapsed 3-storey building
- Enugu Judiciary honours former Chief Judge, late Justice Eze Ozobu
- Ekiti court dissolves 3-year-old marriage
- JOHESU branch lauds Obiano, CMD on improved welfare
- Sri Lanka lifts ban on drones
- LASCODA, LASPARK to plant 500,000 urban-friendly coconut seedlings
- Sen. Gyang lauds security agencies over aid workers’ release
- N166bn debt: Electricity Coy begins mass disconnection in 4 states
- Kwara Govt. expresses concern over condition of students hostels
- Regulating gas plants’ locations to reduce explosions
- Court affirms Uzo as Senator-elect Anambra South, dashes Uba’s hopes
- Plateau Nurses association urge Lalong to employ Nurse freed from Boko Haram captivity
- Police wades into crises rocking Gariki cattle market in Enugu
- Vaccination, best prevention against hepatitis–Virologist
- Farmer urges government to train, empower women in goat farming
- Niger Delta Ministry pledges to resume work on pending projects in Imo
- National Museum in Lagos recorded 39,061 visitors in 2019, says official
- Nigeria public debt stands at N26.2 trillion – DMO
- Global Fund: Health Minister Ehanire appointed Chair of coordinating mechanism
- FEATURE: Migration, governance and media reporting
- Ex-husband docked over alleged N250,000 pregnancy maintenance arrears
- Kwara Govt distributes computers to MDAs
- NAN gets new NUJ chairman
- Special polio immunisation: Enugu State Govt. targets 1 million children
- Alleged N3.6bn fraud: Judge’s absence stalls trial of ex NDDC boss
- We can perform better with supports from stakeholders, says ex-beauty queen
- Driver, 2 technicians arraigned over alleged stealing of goods worth N2.1m
- Plateau Govt. trains 128 health workers for effective delivery of mosquito treated nets
- Uzodinma is best thing to happen to Imo – Omegara
- Association says mining challenges can be overcome with political will
- FRSC condoles with Ore-Ijebu Ode-Sagamu accident victims
- Sultan says social-economic pressure causes farmer/herder crisis, not religion
- Blame INEC for Imo S/Court verdict – Esele
- Landlord docked for allegedly locking tenant out of apartment
- Brain Drain: Association calls for improved welfare for doctors
- Man in court over alleged car theft
- Bauchi Govt. to re-open abandoned museum to boost tourism
- Mechanic docked for allegedly stealing 2 goats
- Town Union to foot JAMB bill for 150 candidates of Anambra community
- Zulum appoints chairman, 12-member Borrno Healthcare Contributory Scheme
- Auto mechanic in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N130,000
- Adamawa to designate court for rape cases- Attorney General
- Teenager faces trial over alleged stealing, breach of peace
- Welder docked for allegedly stealing phone, N16,000 cash
- Kaduna govt. constitutes committee to collate data on Almajiris
- Buhari greets Chief Emeka Anyaoku at 87
- Scavenger docked over alleged theft of generator valued N25,000
- Man in court for allegedly beating wife to stupor
- U.S-based Imo indigenes react to Supreme Court verdict
- Plateau youths sack chairman over financial recklessness, abuse of office
- Commissioner seeks support for education in Kwara
- Akeredolu reconstitutes task force on farmers in govt’s forest reserves
- 4 men in court over alleged cultism
- Inflation rises to 11.98% in December–NBS
- Oyo farmers pray for early, stable rains
- Woman remanded for allegedly stabbing neighbour to death
- Immunisation: Nassarawa State Govt.engages traditional institution
- Man in court for allegedly stealing frozen chicken
- Wrestling Federation happy over Adekuoroye’s gold medal in Rome tournament
- FRSC decorates 34 newly-promoted officers in Anambra
- Akesan market: FG hands over building materials to Oyo govt.
- Fuel tanker burns in Onitsha again, no casualty – FRSC
- Exam malpractice: Kwara govt. to sanction delisted schools
- FG to site specialised agricultural market in Osun
- Obisesan assures aggrieved Oyo APC stakeholders of fairness
- Cash transfer : Beneficiaries in Oyo rural communities laud FG