Striker Divock Origi scored a rare goal as champions Liverpool came from behind to close out their magnificent 2019/2020 English Premier League (EPL) season on Sunday.
Liverpool secured a 3-1 win at Newcastle United to end the season on 99 points, 18 points ahead of nearest rivals Manchester City, while Newcastle United finished 13th on 44 points.
They went behind to the fastest goal ever scored against them in the Premier League era as Dwight Gayle latched on to Jonjo Shelvey’s free-kick.
He slotted it past Alisson with just 26 seconds on the clock.
With Liverpool having made five changes to the team that started the 5-3 win over Chelsea, it fell to the ever-present Virgil van Dijk to score the equaliser.
It was done with a towering header seven minutes before half-time.
Belgian forward Origi, who had not scored in the league since bagging a brace against Everton on Dec. 4, put the Reds in front in the 59th minute.
He cut in from the left before curling the ball in at the far post.
Liverpool turned the screw by bringing on the attacking trio of Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah in the 64th minute.
Mane fired home in the 89th minute to round off the season in style for the Reds.
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
- Ronaldinho inches closer to release from Paraguayan ordeal
- Edo polls: U.S expresses worry over deteriorating political climate, security interference
- 2020: China interfering against Trump, Russia against Biden — report
- NOSDRA, Agip investigate oil leak at Azuzuama, Bayelsa
- Environmental group urges African governments to rise against COVID-19, Climate and Health crises
- Police arrest suspects for criminal offenses, kill 1 in Niger
- Chelsea’s Kante ruled fit against Bayern-Lampard
- Gattuso says his Napoli are not just about grit and growls
- UCL: Ronaldo brace not enough as Olympique Lyon knock out Juventus
- UCL:Man City eliminate Real Madrid after Varane nightmare