Ikeja, April 24, 2019 A 39-year-old estate agent, Adebayo Adeniyi, who allegedly defrauded an accommodation seeker, was on Wednesday brought before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court.
Adeniyi, who resides at No. 56, Hassan Ogunmola St., Ahmaddiya, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos State, is facing a three-count-charge bordering on obtaining under false pretences and stealing.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Police Prosecutor, Sgt. Michael Unah, told the court that the defendant obtained N430,000 from one Mr Omowale Alashe with a promise to provide accommodation for, but failed.
Unah said that the defendant committed the offences on Oct.9, 2018, at 1.00 p.m., at Ahmaddiya.
He said that the defendant cheated the complainant by tricking him to pay N430,000 into his account with an assurance of getting him an apartment.
“The complainant paid the defendant the sum of N430,000 for a two-bedroom apartment, but he bolted with the money.
“All efforts to collect the money from the defendant proved abortive,” he said.
According to him, the offences violate Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015, (Revised).
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that stealing is punishable with three years’ imprisonment, while false pretences attracts 15 years’ jail term.
The Chief Magistrate, Mr A.A. Fashola, granted the defendant N100,000 bail with two sureties in like sum.
Fashola said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and possess evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The magistrate adjourned the case until May 9 for mention.
- Gas flaring: Reps c’ttees to investigate impact, ensure compliance of laws
- Turbulence for France’s Macron: hospitals strike, students protest
- Senate to carry out investigative hearing on child trafficking
- We lost over 300 hectares of rice farm to flood in Delta – Farmer
- Czech Republic to summon Russian ambassador over NGO classification
- Gov. Buni presents N108bn budget for 2020
- UNICEF/HiLWA advocates girl-child education in northern Nigeria
- NASC takes seed awareness campaign to secondary schools
- Scavenger bags 3 years’ imprisonment for stealing N9m cables
- 4th Industrial Revolution: Stakeholders list strategies to raise Nigeria’s potential
- Why we are interested in Bayelsa election – US
- Senate stands down bill on inauguration of NASS
- Aluminium fabricator docked for allegedly defrauding client of N964,000
- 3 sentenced to death for kidnapping traditional ruler, killing palace guard
- Another Dickson’s aide resigns
- Reps. make case for Osun aquaculture centre
- Court admits witness statement in trial of Atiku’s son-in-law, Babalele
- Edo Assembly confirms Chief Judge designate
- 17 black rhinos relocated from South Africa to Malawi
- No fewer than 10,000 Austrian homes without electricity after heavy snowfall