A middle-aged estate agent, Emmanuel Adamson, who allegedly defrauded his customer of N1.8 million on the false pretences of helping him to buy a half plot of land and building materials, on Thursday appeared before a Tinubu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos.
Adamson, whose address was not provided, is facing a two-count charge of theft and fraud.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Ben Ekundayo, told the court that the defendant committed the offences in June 2016, Jan. 25, 2018 and January 2019 at Pankere Area of Abijo Town, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos State.
He said that the defendant collected N1.8 million from one Mr Nnamdi Ugbor, on the pretext of helping him to buy the land and building materials, but failed.
Ekundayo submitted that Adamson collected N800,000 from Ugbor in 2016, to help him to purchase the half plot of land.
“He later collected N1 million to help him to buy 60 tonnes of granite, 90 tonnes of sand, two tonnes of 16mm, 12mm and 10mm iron rods, and 700 blocks.
“The defendant converted the money to his personal use and told the complainant, who was not in the country, that he had paid for the land and building materials.
According to him, the offences contravene Sections 285 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Section 285 stipulates three years’ imprisonment for theft while Section 314 provides for 15 years’ imprisonment for fraud.
The Magistrate, Mrs A.M. Olumide-Fusika, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Olumide-Fusika adjourned the case until Aug. 9 for substantive hearing
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments