EU, AU, UN, other observation missions urge INEC to adhere to new dates
By Folasade Akpan/
Abuja, Feb. 16, 2019 (NNN) Election Observation Missions of the European Union (EU), African Union (AU), United Nations (UN) and others have called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to finalise all preparations and ensure that the new election dates are adhered to.
Other signatories to the statement are the election observation missions of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), Commonwealth Observer Group and the Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa.
Some others are the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation and the National Democratic Institute/International Republican Institute.
They also said that INEC should provide regular updates and information to the public on its preparations in the coming days and weeks to enhance confidence and trust in the process.
The observers also called on Nigerians to remain calm and support the electoral process.
“We, the Heads of the international election observation missions and the UN present in Nigeria, have taken note of the decision of INEC to postpone the 2019 general elections due to logistical and operational challenges.
“While we note that this decision has caused dissapointment for many, we call on Nigerians to remain calm and supportive of the electoral process as INEC works to implement its new timeline.
“As we continue to closely observe preparations across the country, we stand in solidarity with the people of Nigeria in their desire for credible and peaceful elections.”
- Cleric wants entrepreneurship training programmes in orphanages
- Infertility: Expert advocates medical intervention for menstrual challenges
- 5th Anniversary: Work in progress, no distraction, Presidency tells Nigerians
- COVID-19: Global solidarity only hope for humanity, says Buhari
- NGF to engage AGF on financial autonomy for states’ judiciary, legislature
- Ndume asks Buhari to assent to Peace Corps Bill
- Lagos BRT operator announces increase in fares
- Group seeks end to age-limit for women seeking assisted reproduction technology in Lagos
- Group honours Niger citizens killed in violence
- Don’t expose your children to cold during rainy season, Paediatrician warns parents
- ICPC investigating cases of COVID-19 fraud — official
- APC distributes palliatives to indigents, vulnerable in Ebonyi
- Court convicts 24 motorists in Imo for violating COVID-19 guidelines
- Thai-Malaysian border shuts again after reports of new COVID-19 cases
- Africa’s COVID-19 cases hit 123,000 – WHO
- COVID-19: Katsina builds 722-bed capacity isolation centres – Masari
- Old students donate N1m to Plateau COVID-19 fund
- COVID-19: NHIS donates PPE to Police
- Revised 2020 budget: Buhari seeks Senate approval for $5.513bn external loans
- Rwandan top genocide fugitive gets life sentence