Connect with us

Foreign

Euro 2020: Netherlands shock Germany in topsy-turvy 4-2 win

Published

on

Euro 2020: Netherlands shock Germany in topsy-turvy 4-2 win

Netherlands scored four times in 32 second-half minutes to stage a 4-2 comeback win against hosts Germany in their Euro 2020 Group C qualifier on Friday.


The Germans went ahead with Serge Gnabry, netting his fourth goal in four qualifiers in the ninth minute.

The Dutch came back stronger after the break, scoring twice in seven minutes with Frenkie De Jong in the 59th and a Jonathan Tah own goal.

Germany levelled with a harshly-awarded 73rd minute Toni Kroos penalty but the visitors got revenge for their 3-2 loss in Amsterdam in March.

They struck through Donyell Malen in the 79th after a quick combination left the German defence frozen.

Georginio Wijnaldum completed the win in stoppage time.

The result leaves Germany on nine points from four games, three behind leaders Northern Ireland, who they face on Monday in Belfast.

The Dutch move up to six points from three games.

Belarus earned a stoppage-time 2-1 win at Estonia to claim their first points in the other game in the group on Friday. (Reuters/NAN)

KIA/AO/AIB

Edited by Angela Okisor/Abdulfatah Babatunde

Kayode Adebiyi: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Sport

Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal

Published

on


Manchester City announced on Tuesday they have signed Spanish winger Ferran Torres from Valencia, with the 20-year-old putting pen to paper on a five-year deal.


Financial details were not disclosed by the English Premier League (EPL) clubside, but British media reported the transfer fee was 23 million euros (20.73 million pounds).

Torres scored six goals and had eight assists for Valencia in all competitions last season as they came ninth in the Spanish La Liga.

“I am so happy to be joining Manchester City. Every player wants to be involved in attacking teams and Manchester City are one of the most attacking in world football,” Torres told the club website.

“Pep (Guardiola) encourages a really open, aggressive style, which I love, and he is a manager with a proven track record of improving players. To have him overseeing my development is a dream.”

Torres joins Manchester City as a replacement for Germany winger Leroy Sane who moved to Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich last month for 45 million euros plus add-ons.

“He’s young and still developing, but his technical qualities are exactly what we are looking for in a winger,” Manchester City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain said of Torres.

“He’s quick, direct, can create space with one movement and is capable of producing match-winning moments.”

Manchester City have also been linked with a 41 million pounds (53.56 million dollars) move for Bournemouth central defender Nathan Ake.

This is noteworthy as Guardiola looks to close the gap on Premier League champions Liverpool next season.

Second-placed Manchester City finished 18 points adrift of the Anfield side but won the League Cup and are still in the UEFA Champions League.

They lead Real Madrid 2-1 ahead of their last 16 second leg home match on Friday.

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

UK immigration to EU bloc nations up 30% since Brexit, naturalisations jump – Research

Published

on


The number of UK nationals, who have acquired citizenship in European Union (EU) nations has jumped by 30 per cent since the Brexit referendum in 2016, a research has found.


The yearly average of UK citizens moving to any of the other 27 EU nations from 2008-2015 was nearly 57,000, while that same figure from 2016-2018 showed an average of over 73,000 annual migrations, the research by the Berlin Social Science Center, published on Monday, claimed.

This data does not account for the UK citizens who had been residing in EU nations but decided to register after the referendum, The Guardian reported.

That number grew by some 500 percent according to figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Eurostat.

Spain was the most popular destination for UK expatriates, with over 21,000 registrations in the two years following the Brexit vote, compared to an average annual number of 2,300 prior, the paper found.

France and Germany also saw a big jump in the number of UK nationals putting themselves on the path to citizenship.

About half of the 120,000 UK nationals in Germany are expected to have dual citizenship by the end of the year.

The authors of the study were unambiguous about the impact that Brexit had on decisions to migrate.

Because the Brexit negotiations between London and Brussels look likely to restrict employment and residency rights UK citizens had enjoyed, cosmopolitan and mobile Britons prefer to maintain access to a larger pool of employment opportunities and services.

The contentious 2016 Brexit referendum was followed by years of political crisis and a polarised public sphere in the UK.

After multiple delays, the UK finally exited the bloc in January 2020.

A transition period will run to the end of this year, during which time the two sides must reach deals in a host of fields.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Economy

Lobbying for Russian pipeline spikes in Washington

Published

on


As United States lawmakers plot to stop one of Moscow’s most important projects in Europe, the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, lobbyists supporting it are busier than ever but disclosing few details of their work, according to government filings and current and former United States officials.


The pipeline linking Russian gas fields to Western Europe has become a lightning rod of contention in United States-Russia relations.

This is as the Trump administration concerned it would dangerously expanding the region’s energy dependence on Moscow but backers, including in Europe, saying the gas is needed.

United States President Donald Trump has already signed a sanctions bill that delayed construction on the $11 billion project, wholly-owned by Russia’s state-run Gazprom and headed by Alexei Miller, a long-time ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

But lawmakers fearful the measures are not enough to prevent the pipeline’s completion are contemplating further action.

Nord Stream 2 AG has paid lobbyists at BGR Group, Roberti Global LLC, and Sweeney & Associates a combined $1.69 million during the first half of this year, according to Senate records.

That is more than double the amount during the same period a year ago, and more than all of 2018, the first full year the project lobbied in Washington.

But exactly who the lobbyists meet with is a mystery because they have not registered with the Department of Justice under the Foreign Agent Registration Act (FARA), a law passed in 1938 to limit the influence of Nazi Germany and Communist Russia in United States politics.

Under FARA, lobbyists must disclose every meeting with United States officials, along with the materials they distribute.

Instead, the Nord Stream 2 lobbyists have registered under the 1995 Lobbying Disclosure Act, a law that amended FARA by allowing lobbyists for foreign companies or individuals to report much less information as long as their work is not intended to benefit a foreign government.

Representatives for Nord Stream 2 and the lobbying companies did not respond to requests for comment.

But Nord Stream 2 has characterised itself as a commercial, not political, project.

A senior Trump administration official took issue with that, saying the lobbyists are seeking to further Moscow’s national interests.

“The fact that you’ve got people working for Gazprom, which is essentially the Russian state, you know to manipulate our processes … it’s crazy,’’ the official said, asking not to be named discussing the issue.

Danielle Nichols, a spokesperson for the Department of Justice, which handles FARA registrations, said the department had no comment at this time.

Lobbyists for Nord Stream 2’s foreign opponents, by contrast, have registered under FARA.

Yorktown Solutions LLC, for example, which lobbies for Ukraine’s state-owned Naftogaz and its partner companies against the pipeline, is among them, according to FARA records.

Andriy Kobolyev, Naftogaz’s Chief Executive told Reuters in an email that company representatives travel to Washington about once a month to provide updates on the status of Nord Stream 2 and discuss how to stop the pipeline.

Nord Stream 2 will double the capacity of an existing line to Germany under the Baltic Sea to 110 billion cubic meters of gas per year, enough to supply 26 million households.

It would circumvent United States ally Ukraine, depriving it of potentially billions of dollars in transit fees, and compete with United States efforts to sell liquefied natural gas into Europe.

United States senators Ted Cruz, a Republican, and Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat, are among the pipeline’s biggest opponents in Congress.

Both are pushing new sanctions measures that would target insurers of Gazprom vessels that would lay the last 100 miles (160 km) of pipe in Danish waters, where unexploded bombs from World War II lie in the pipeline’s path.

Neither senator responded to a request for comment.

Nord Stream 2 backers say Germany and other European countries need Russian gas and Germany has threatened retaliatory action if United States sanctions stop the project.

Austria’s OMV, German firms Uniper and Wintershall, Royal Dutch Shell and France’s Engie provide half the project’s long-term financing.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Survey: Germans largely in favour of US troops withdrawing

Published

on


The German population is largely in favour of almost 12,000 United States soldiers being withdrawn from their country, according to a survey conducted by opinion research institute YouGov on behalf of dpa.


Around 47 per cent of people surveyed were in favour of reducing the number of soldiers from 36,000.

One in four people surveyed thought that the United States forces should leave Germany completely.

By contrast, only 28 per cent said they were in favour of American troops remaining at their current strength while four per cent said they would approve an increase.

A further 21 per cent declined to make a statement.

United States Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper, announced last week that the country will withdraw almost 12,000 soldiers from Germany.

Of those, 6,400 are to return to the United States and about 5,600 are to be transferred to other NATO member states in Europe, mainly to Italy and Belgium.

Five of the six parliamentary groups represented in the Bundestag reject the withdrawal of troops.

Only the Left Party is in favour of the idea, but additionally wants all United States soldiers to leave the country.

The picture is different among voters: only supporters of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservative bloc are predominantly against a reduction of United States soldiers, with 45 to 41 per cent against.

Among the voters of all other parties, those in favour of a withdrawal of troops are in the majority to varying degrees.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger