The postponement of soccer’s Euro2020 Championship may already have been decided after UEFA last week cancelled its hotel bookings in Copenhagen, one of the host cities, Reuters learned from the hotels on Tuesday.
The CPH Hotel told Reuters over the phone that UEFA had booked 80 of its 102 rooms, but cancelled them a little over a week ago.
The Marienlyst Strandhotel, where the Danish team usually bases itself, told Reuters in an email that UEFA had cancelled the rooms booked on behalf of the Danish side.
UEFA is meeting with its member federations on Tuesday, where a postponement of Euro2020 to 2021 is expected to be announced following the widespread suspension of Europe’s domestic leagues due to the coronavirus.
The tournament was due to be held across 12 nations in June and July, with the semi-finals and final in London. Copenhagen was due to host three group games, all involving Denmark, and one knockout match in the round of 16.
The Marienlyst Strandhotel in Helsingor has been the base of the Danish team for many years and is situated on the sound between Denmark and Sweden, some 47km north of Copenhagen.
Helsingor – or Elsinore as it is sometimes called in English – is the scene of Shakespeare’s Hamlet.
The sleepy village has become the place that the Danish team goes to avoid distractions, with a training pitch a short walk away.
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Maharazu Ahmed
- LASG cautions developers against roads abuse
- Ratcliffe sworn in as U.S. spy chief
- COVID-19: Gov. El-Rufai extends Kaduna lockdown by 2 weeks
- Romania to take new relaxation measures from June 1: minister
- PDP hails FG over successes against banditry, other crimes in Zamfara
- Roundup: New York Stock Exchange partially reopens as U.S. COVID-19 deaths near 100,000
- New York governor rings opening bell at exchange as traders return
- Teenage Saruni dreams of debut Olympics in Tokyo
- Feature: Pandemic-hit Ecuador faces uncertain economic future, say experts
- ‘Presidential directive’ on 150 memos is fake news – Presidency
- 875 people commit suicide during lockdown period in Nepal
- 3 U.S. soldiers wounded in ambush attack in eastern Syria
- Tinubu commiserates with Telegraph Newspaper over Editor’s death
- COVID-19: Let’s put our trust in Allah to end pandemic – Ife Chief Imam
- Bayern Munich with one hand on league title after 1-0 win at Dortmund
- COVID-19: Ooni donates fumigator, cash to UCH Ibadan
- Sudan, U.S. agree to end UNAMID mission in Oct.
- Palliative: Kano Govt denies destroying FG foodstuff
- Trudeau says shocked by disturbing reports on Ontario nursing homes
- Roundup: Turkey’s COVID-19 cases near 160,000, as Saudi Arabia announces 3-phase plan to ease anti-coronavirus restrictions