Connect with us

Foreign

Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia

Published

on

Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia


Leader

Jakarta, Nov. 14, 2019  Exiled Cambodian opposition leader, Sam Rainsy, arrived in Indonesia on Thursday after reports that he was barred from entering amid attempts to return to his home country.

“@RainsySam safely landed in Jakarta this morning. Will meet Indonesian MPs,’’ tweeted Mu Sochua, deputy of the outlawed opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), of which Rainsy is acting president.

Indonesian authorities have denied reports that Rainsy, who had been scheduled to arrive in Jakarta on Wednesday afternoon from Malaysia, had been barred entry into the country.

“There has been no order to bar entry for the person.

“Sam Rainsy is not in Indonesian territory,’’ Indonesian immigration spokesman, Sam Fernando, said late Wednesday.

Rainsy tweeted late Wednesday that he missed his flight and was instead scheduled to arrive in Jakarta on Thursday morning.

Rainsy, who lives in self-exile in France, has been trying to return to Cambodia with other opposition figures to launch what he described as a restoration of democracy there.

Cambodian Prime Minister, Hun Sen, has called the plan a coup attempt and has threatened to arrest Rainsy.

Rainsy’s attempt to enter Cambodia via Thailand failed last week after he was blocked from boarding a Thai Airways flight in Paris.

The Cambodian Ambassador to Indonesia, Hor Nambora, stormed into a Jakarta hotel where Sochua was holding a news conference and threatened to arrest her.

The Cambodian embassy in Jakarta also requested Indonesian authorities to arrest Sochua, calling her a fugitive.

The CNRP was dissolved by the nation’s Supreme Court in 2017, ahead of 2018 elections, swept by Hun Sen’s ruling party.

HS/AIB

Edited by Halima Sheji/Abdulfatah Babatunde

Sheji Halima: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Foreign

9 people including 3 soldiers killed in southern Philippine clash

Published

on

By


Six suspected Abu Sayyaf terrorists and three soldiers were killed in a clash at a town in the remote southern Philippine Sulu province on Friday, the military said.


Army Major Arvin Encinas, the spokesperson for the military’s Western Mindanao Command, said three soldiers were also wounded when an undetermined number of Abu Sayyaf terrorists opened fire on patrolling troops around 11:00 a.m. local time in Patikul town.

Encinas said in a statement that the terrorists fled after a 40-minute firefight. The slain and injured soldiers were taken to a local hospital for treatment, he added.

Major General Corleto Vinluan, commander of the military’s Joint Task Force Sulu, said that troops are now pursuing the Abu Sayyaf terrorists behind the attack.

The Abu Sayyaf Group is considered the smallest but the most violent of the extremist groups in the southern Philippines. The group, which has estimated 400 fighters, is active in the impoverished island provinces of Sulu and Basilan.

The group is responsible for the series of kidnappings, deadly bombings, ambushes of security personnel, public beheadings, assassinations, and extortion in the Mindanao region.

The group, which has been terrorizing the Philippine southern region since the 1990s, preys on foreign tourists, businessmen and fishermen not only from the Philippines but also from Indonesia and Malaysia and hide them in Philippine jungles or remote islands.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Vietnam registers 1st death of COVID-19 as Philippines, India, Japan’s Tokyo see record number of daily cases

Published

on

By


Vietnam registered its first COVID-19 death on Friday amid a resurgence of infections in the country, while the Philippines, India and Japan’s Tokyo confirmed record numbers of daily cases.


Vietnam’s Ministry of Health confirmed that a 70-year-old Vietnamese man died of COVID-19, which is the country’s first death from the disease, Vietnam News Agency reported.

The patient, with a history of heart failure and pneumonia, tested positive for COVID-19 on July 26 and died in the early morning on Friday, according to the news agency.

After going through over three months without any local transmission, Vietnam has seen a number of infections in the community since July 25.

Fiji also reported its first death from COVID-19 infection on the same day. Health Minister Ifereimi Waqainabete said a 66-year-old Fijian man, who had a history of cardiac problems and returned from India early July, died on Thursday in the hospital in Lautoka, Fiji’s second-largest city.

The number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines surged to 93,354 after the Department of Health (DOH) reported 4,063 new cases, the largest single-day increase since the highly-infectious disease emerged in the country in January.

India also recorded the highest ever single-day spike with 55,078 fresh COVID-19 cases, taking the total tally to 1,638,870, according to the federal health ministry. This is the second consecutive day when fresh COVID-19 cases have increased by more than 50,000.

Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike confirmed 463 new COVID-19 infections in the capital, with the figure marking a new record daily increase, eclipsing the previous single-day record of 367 on Thursday.

Australia recorded the second-highest daily cases while the death toll is on the brink of surpassing 200, with a total number of 196 deaths and 651 new cases during the last 24 hours.

This is the second-largest daily number in the country after Thursday’s record of 747, according to the update from Michael Kidd, the Australian government deputy chief medical officer.

According to the federal government, hundreds of workers from the Pacific are set to be allowed to enter Australia to help farmers harvest crops despite border closures.

A COVID-19 candidate vaccine developed in South Australia (SA) has cleared the first phase of testing, according to local media’s report.

Bangladesh reported 2,772 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to over 237,000. Nasima Sultana, a senior Health Ministry official, said in a briefing that 28 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.

Malaysia reported another 12 new COVID-19 infections, bringing the national total to 8,976. Health Ministry Director-General Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement that five of the cases are imported and seven more are local transmissions.

The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 2,040 within one day to 108,376, with the death toll adding by 73 to 5,131, the Health Ministry said.

New Zealand reported no new cases of COVID-19, with the number of active cases in the country standing at 20, all in managed isolation facilities, according to the Ministry of Health.

South Korea reported 36 more cases compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 14,305.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Indonesia reports 2,040 new COVID-19 cases, 73 new deaths

Published

on

By


The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 2,040 within one day to 108,376, with the death toll adding by 73 to 5,131, the Health Ministry said on Friday.


The ministry also said 1,615 more people were discharged from hospitals, bringing the total number of recovered patients to 65,907.

The virus has spread to all the country’s 34 provinces.

Specifically, within the past 24 hours, Jakarta recorded 430 new cases, East Java 317, Central Java 235, South Kalimantan 128 and North Sumatra 104.

No more new positive cases were found in eight provinces, namely Bangka Belitung, Lampung, East Nusa Tenggara, Central Sulawesi, Southeast Sulawesi, Gorontalo, Maluku and North Maluku.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Live COVID-19 updates: Africa’s confirmed COVID-19 cases pass 890,000-mark: Africa CDC

Published

on

By


The following are the updates on the global fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.


ADDIS ABABA — The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the African continent reached 891,199 on Thursday, the Africa Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said.

The Africa CDC, a specialized healthcare agency of the 55-member African Union (AU) Commission in its latest situation update issued on Thursday, said that the number of deaths related to the COVID-19 pandemic rose to 18, 884 as of Thursday, up from 18,507 on Wednesday.

ADDIS ABABA — Ethiopia’s confirmed COVID-19 cases reached 16,615 after 805 new COVID-19 positive cases were confirmed on Thursday, the Ethiopian Ministry of Health said.

This is so far the highest daily increase in the Horn of Africa country.

JERUSALEM — Israeli researchers have found that a viral infection in a pregnant woman’s body can harm the fetal brain cells, even if the fetus is not infected with the virus, Weizmann Institute of Science (WIS) said Thursday.

This may be caused by the mother’s immune system response to a virus, affecting the fetal brain cells, according to a WIS research, published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.

COPENHAGEN — Denmark can expect to be hit by a second COVID-19 wave this September, according to findings presented in a press release by the University of Southern Denmark (SDU) on Thursday.

Based on simulations using a scientific method of calculation rooted in the methods of particle physics and developed in association with colleagues from the University of Lyons in France, the SDU projected that around the 35th to 37th weeks of this year, Denmark risks being hit by a new wave of COVID-19 infections as strong as the first that hit the country in the spring.

LONDON — British car production plunged by 42.8 percent in the first half (H1) of 2020 year on year, recording the weakest six months since 1954, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said Thursday.

Data revealed that British car production was 381,357 units in H1 amid the hard hit caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

VIENTIANE — Lao Prime Minister’s Office on Wednesday has released a notice urging everyone to continue to take precautions against the COVID-19 pandemic, even as many lockdown measures were lifted.

Under the notice, which will be in effect from Saturday to August 31, authorities and people countrywide must remain vigilant and continue to abide by measures determined by the National Taskforce Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control.

NEW DELHI — Federal health ministry Thursday said India cannot count on herd immunity to stop the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic given its demography and scale, instead, it will have to rely on a vaccine.

“In a country with the size of the population like India, herd immunity cannot be a strategic choice or option. It can only be an outcome, and that too at a very high cost as it means millions of people would have to be infected, get hospitalised and many would die in the process,” said Rajesh Bhushan, secretary in the ministry of health at a press briefing.

BEIJING — Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Thursday called on China and Indonesia to focus on cooperation in fighting the COVID-19 epidemic and promoting development.

During a video meeting with Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi, Wang said currently COVID-19 was spreading globally, which endangered human health, impacted the world economy and threatened global stability.

KUWAIT CITY — Kuwait on Thursday reported 626 new COVID-19 cases and one more death, raising the tally of infections to 66,529 and the death toll to 445, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

Currently, 8,754 patients are receiving treatment, including 134 in ICU, the statement added.

The ministry also announced the recovery of 863 more patients, raising the total recoveries in the country to 57,330.

BEIJING — Beijing has been inspecting storehouses of refrigerated meat and aquatic products as part of its efforts to guard against COVID-19 “importation” through cold-chain foods.

At a press conference on COVID-19 prevention and control on Thursday, the city’s market regulation administration said authorities had inspected 4,719 such storehouses. Seafood products from three companies were removed from the shelves during the inspection.

WARSAW — The Polish Health Ministry announced on Thursday that 615 COVID-19 cases were confirmed over the past 24 hours, which is a new daily record in the country since the start of the pandemic.

The country officially had a total of 45,013 confirmed cases, with 1,709 deaths since March, when the first patient was diagnosed.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger