Dr Kelechi Ozurumba, Medical Director of Our Saviours Hospital, Abakaliki,
advocates proper personal and environmental hygiene to prevent outbreak of gastroenteritis.
He made the call in an interview with Nigeria News Agency on Tuesday in Abakaliki, defining gastroenteritis as
inflammation of the stomach and intestines, typically resulting from bacterial toxins or viral infection and causing vomiting
The medical director said that observing common personal and environmental health tips, including regular hand wash, proper
refuse disposal and avoiding open defecation, would safeguard individuals from developing gastroenteritis.
According to him, gastroenteritis can be fatal if proper and urgent medical attention is not given to infected person, as
frequent stooling and vomiting can lead to dehydration and eventual death.
He said “one of the keys to preventing gastroenteritis is to ensure that we maintain proper personal, environmental hygiene and food safety .
“It is a common disease usually contracted when a person comes into contact with items infested with germs that transmit the disease.
“Gastroenteritis, which causes frequent stooling and vomiting can be fatal when an infected person is not given proper and urgent
medical attention by qualified personnel at a recognised medical or health institution.
“Regular washing of hands, proper refuse disposal, avoiding open defecation and maintaining safe environment are some of the
measures we can adopt to avoid outbreak and spread of the disease.”
Ozurumba added that drinking water from unwholesome sources and improper cooking of vegetables and other food items could also
cause the disease.
He warned that suspected cases should promptly be reported to health authorities to check spread.
He noted that “government should sensitise the public on the dangers of the disease and the need for citizens to maintain regular
and proper personal and environmental hygiene.
“Any suspected case should be immediately reported to approved medical institution for quick diagnosis and treatment.”
Edited by Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti
- NIS rolls out enhanced E-passport in Lagos
- World Pensioners’ Day: Adamawa pensioners demand fair treatment by politicians
- NSE indices record first gain in December, up 0.19%
- NCAT begins training in Drones operation
- Kwara community donates N3m office, motorcycle to NSCDC
- Defence equipment: Buratai wants Chinese firms to establish production line in Nigeria
- How to end insecurity–Gov. Oyetola
- Pension scam: Maina’s sister, Fatima, distance self from coys, bank accounts linked to her
- Cleric advises Christians to imbibe Jesus Christ virtues as they celebrate Christmas
- Reps to intervene in planned strike by NUEE
- FEC approves N307.5m for NAFDAC operational vehicles
- Electricity workers shutdown IE, EKEDC offices
- Rape: Oxfam seeks specialised training for police, legal practitioners
- PDP releases timetable for Edo municipal, state congresses
- Group calls for multi-stakeholders’ collaboration to tackle cultism
- Don’t treat cases of abuse with silence, Kwara First Lady urges Nigerians
- EFCC recovers various monies, secures 42 convictions in Abuja zone
- 80 per cent financial inclusion target achievable — Akinwuntan
- NDLEA seizes psychotropic substances during ‘mop-up’ in Ebonyi
- EU climate plan unveiled, kicking off ‘journey’ to zero carbon goal
- Alleged fraud, illegal arms possession: Judge’s absence stalls Dasuki’s trial
- Sustain tempo of security operations, Senate committee urges DHQ
- GOC says Nigerian Army committed to health, welfare of troops
- Algerians continue protests to demand Thursday’s presidential polls cancelled
- CJN advocates teaching of Sharia law in Arabic language
- Pension scam: Maina’s sister, Fatima, distance self from companies, bank accounts linked to her
- Unemployment rate worries Senate
- NACCIMA president urges Nigerians to promote local products
- 50 UNN lecturers to withdraw their IPPIS enrollment — ASUU Chairman
- Yelutide: Muslim woman donates Christmas tree to Kaduna CAN chairman
- Italy’s Constitutional Court elects first female president
- Nasarawa Govt. committed to quality health care delivery – Commissioner
- IGP urges women police officers to sustain professional excellence
- KIF empowers 331 graduates, to construct classrooms in Kaduna
- Equatorial Guinea president to visit refugee settlement in Uganda
- Cash Transfer Programme boosts annti-corruption fight –Group
- Nasarawa Assembly urges citizens to patronise locally-made goods
- VSF launches empowerment programme for 3,000 households in Northeast
- Uganda launches 2nd phase of cholera vaccination
- 31 sentenced to 6 months imprisonment each for violating Oyo environmental law
- APC forum demands board members appointment