Dr Chigozie Igwe, a medical expert with the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) Secretariat, has recommended more awareness on mental health as antidote to curbing incessant cases of suicides in Nigeria.
Igwe spoke at the “Effective Suicide Prevention Response Strategy for Young People in Nigeria’’ programme in Abuja on Tuesday.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimated that over 800,000 people die by suicide annually in the World, with Nigeria ranking among the top 10 countries in Africa.
The 2016 Global Health Observatory Data Repository also estimated that 9.5 suicides per 100,000 occurred in Nigeria.
Igwe made this known while presenting a paper on “Building Young People’s Mental Health Skills”, during the third edition of the dialogue on “Power of Your Mind Project (POYMP)’’.
He decried the effects of mental health challenges, which he attributed to have contributed immensely to suicides and other mental health hazards among youths.
“Mental health affects people of different age, background and gender in different ways and shapes daily.
“The mental health status of a person is critical to living as it is a major determinant of choices, how one relates with others and outlook on life.
“It also determines how people handle stress, depression and challenges in life,” said the expert.
He enlightened participants on mental health, depression and how to recognise and deal with it to avoid suicide ideas and other negative choices.
“Depression is a common and serious mental health challenge that affects the way one thinks, feels and acts.
“The more young people are aware of their mental health issues, the more they will be able to utilise mental health skills and to prevent suicide as well as handle depression.”
He therefore stressed the need for the public, particularly parents and schools to monitor and recognise when someone may be struggling with mental health issues by listening more, empathising and seeking help, where needs be. (NAN)
Edited by Cecilia Odey/Muhammad Suleiman Tola
- Ebonyi NOA, UNICEF move to raise awareness on safe practices for healthy living
- 2019 INAC: Ogun woos visitors to explore tourism assets
- Centre trains Armory managers from 15 countries to curtail arms proliferation
- Gridlock: Lagos Assembly asks Sanwo-Olu to focus on scheduled maintenance
- KDSG urges religious leaders to spread messages of peace
- Lagos House of Assembly approves N250bn loan for capital projects
- AFRIMA- Stakeholders urge artistes to utilise digital platforms for distribution
- Artist drums up support for the Art sector
- Experts call for private sector participation in health security
- Ogun govt. advocates modern teaching techniques for special schools
- A.Y partners Chinese firm to produce new movie `30 days’
- NAN Acting MD tasks staff on commitment “in spite of financial challenges”
- Plateau: NPC launches 2018 NDHS report
- Chris Brown welcomes second child with girlfriend
- ENSG targets 1m children in immunisation plus days
- Resign, aggrieved APC NEC members tell Oshiomhole
- INAC 2019: Culture agency provides free skills training
- Friendly environment: Minister urges public-private sector collaboration
- Why God’s ways remain unpredictable, incomprehensible – Don
- Air Chief pleased with maintenance progress on Alpha Jets In NAF Base
- EU tasks AU on solidarity, unity for AfCFTA to succeed
- Town Hall meeting stakeholders advocate interface reps
- Webber donates N9m sports facilities to alma mater
- Lawmaker lays foundation for block of six classrooms in Badagry
- Kwara Govt. tasks new NURTW executives on peace, unity
- Customs Comptroller-General to sack officers living above earnings
- NIS begins E-passport, biometric visa issuance in Japan
- Burundian Ambassador calls for proper funding of science innovation
- Ghanaian Parliamentarian says Nigeria closure of border affects trade
- NiMet predicts sunny, thundery activities for Saturday
- Nigeria, S’Africa mull MoU on assets recovery -Magu
- I’m not going to attempt 3rd term, says Buhari
- Army: Over 1,000 persons benefit from free medical care in Ibadan
- VC’s not against IPPIS: Prof. Kimbir
- EFCC uncovers alleged fraud of N5bn from Kwara revenue fund
- Zamfara Assembly reaffirms suspension of Shinkafi LG chairman
- Researchers find 1,000 yr old Viking-era ship in western Norway
- Police in Benue discover 3 family members dead in a room
- Iranian cleric says protest leaders deserve death sentence
- South African Airways inks deal to end eight-day strike
- WHO: Inactivity puts health of adolescents worldwide at risk
- Niger governor’s aide trains journalists on digital media
- Navy decorates 16 new Rear Admirals
- NAN acting MD, other management staff in Lafia for 2-day retreat
- FG lauds capacity to tackle public health threats
- Traders count losses over Oyingbo market closure
- SEC reviewing NSE demutualisation application, assures transparent process
- Experts say green policies, legal routes needed for climate refugees
- Osinbajo receives Oduduwa University founder at Aso Villa
- Sokoto Judgement: APC heads to Supreme Court