Mr Ademuyiwa Adeyemi, a member of the Ogun House of Assembly, has advocated the enactment of a law to punish defaulters for not using face masks to curb the spread of coronavirus pandemic in the state.
Adeyemi (APC – Abeokuta South II), suggested this while speaking under personal explanation during Ogun Hoyse of Aasembly plenary in Abeokuta on Thursday.
The lawmaker said that the law was important in view of the increase in community transmission of coronavirus pandemic and the non compliance with the government’s directives.
He said that the government had since directed that the residents of the state must always wear face masks and observe social distancing.
He noted that it had become a common scene in the state where people disregarded government’s directives to wear face mask and observe social distancing, saying it portends danger.
He appealed to his colleagues to conduct public enlightenment in their various constituencies on the importance of the public wearing face masks , saying it would reduce the spread of the pandemic.
In his submission, the Speaker, Mr Olakunle Oluomo, appealed to the state government to urgently embark on the enforcement of the use of face masks in the state to curtail the spread of pandemic.
He called on the state’s executive council to liase with necessary government agencies and transport unions to ensure that the spread of the virus is curtailed.
He also advised transport unions in the state not to lift passengers without wearing their face masks
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Peter Dada (NAN)
- Shooting prompts Trump’s evacuation from White House briefing room
- Collection of forms for 774,000 Special Public Works commences in Rivers
- Lawmaker commends Buhari, Diri over Oloibiri Museum, appeals for befitting access road
- Pay 4 years pension arrears, gratuities, pensioners beg Wike
- Police arrest 27 armed robbery, Kidnapping suspects in Nasarawa
- Wike seeks Assembly’s approval for N18bn loan
- COVID-19: FG directs civil servants on levels 12, 13 to resume work
- Obaseki seeks traditional ruler’s blessing ahead of Sept. 19 election
- Kano Govt establishes 3 more schools for Almajiri children
- United States decries Russia’s decree targeting VOA, others