Connect with us

General news

Fans emotional over Adekunle Gold and Simi’s “Promise”

Song
By Itoro Udounwa
Abuja, Jan. 17, 2019 (NNN) Some Fans have taken to social media to expressed their emotions and lauded music stars and celebrity couple, Adekunle Gold and Simisola Ogunleye on the release of the visuals to their new song “Promise.”

Published

on

Song
By Itoro Udounwa
Abuja, Jan. 17, 2019 (NNN) Some Fans have taken to social media to expressed their emotions and lauded music stars and celebrity couple, Adekunle Gold and Simisola Ogunleye on the release of the visuals to their new song “Promise.”

The newly wedded couple announced the song and video release on Thursday amidst talks of an album together.

The heart-warming video features Simi and Adekunle Gold in full romantic mood and contains beautiful scenes from their private wedding ceremony, with the couple serenading each other with their vows.

Some of the fans expressed their excitement over the new video which they described as beautiful, inspiring and long overdue.

Here are some interesting reactions below:

@blessing_ajah “I just love you both. Privacy is power. What people don’t know they can’t destroy. Beautiful video by the way”

@soulbeat_ent “I tap from your love story may I find a new girlfriend come 2019 and get married to her IJN”

Some fans couldn’t get enough of the video which left them feeling lovesick.
@yohmie_ “This Simi x Adekunle Gold is making love do somehow in my body #Promise”

@okiki.dft “where is my wife ooo less marry, if you here will you be my wife just answer please thanks”

@miss_igf “It’s too short I want a part 2 of the song”

Meanwhile, some other fans also voiced their frustrations at being left out of the whole wedding proceedings.

@tomike_zillionz_xo ” so you people can post video of you kissing. Ehn ehn we don’t need to see this too now. Keep it to yourself like you’re keeping everything”

@iampholar “Go and download it with your 300 guest.” (NNN)

JUI/EAL
========
Edited by Ekemini Ladejobi

Sport

It’s weird playing without fans, but good to be playing again —- Kvitova

Published

on

Petra Kvitova has 27 career titles but winning an all-Czech exhibition tournament last week was a different experience for her.

The two-time Wimbledon champion said it felt “weird” to play in the absence of fans.

The Prague tournament was one of the few global exhibition events held after professional tennis was suspended in early March as countries went into lockdown to contain the spread of COVID-19.

It was still a special occasion for the former world number two to lift the trophy at her home tennis club where she had won a WTA event two years back.

But the feeling was not the same.

“I’m happy with the win for sure, but it was a different kind of tournament,” said the 30-year-old, who wore the dress she had chosen for the postponed French Open. “Playing without fans was very weird as well.

“We hit some unbelievable winners and nobody was clapping. So, it’s been really tough. But on the other hand it’s nice to have the game-feeling again.”

With motivation lacking to practise and train, Kvitova found it tough to mentally prepare for the event.

The first match was most difficult as her focus was drawn to the empty stands.

It was after reaching the semi-finals that she was able to concentrate more on her game.

But, left with no other choice, Kvitova said players would learn to adapt.

“For me, it was really different that I couldn’t have the towel between the points. It took a while to go for the towels. So, I just left it on the bench,” she said.

“For me it was pretty annoying and, of course, the ball boys couldn’t hold it for me. And I didn’t know we couldn’t shake hands after the match. It felt such an ungentlemanlike thing.”

Currently the professional circuit has been suspended, at least until the end of July.

Wimbledon was cancelled for the first time since World War II, while the French Open has been postponed to September.

The fate of the United States Open in New York will be decided this month.

While playing in presence of fans remains Kvitova’s preference, she said players also need the sport to resume.

“It’s tough to think about Grand Slams without fans,” she said. “It’s really tough because fans are very important for players … If we are playing Grand Slams without fans, it will be very sad.

“But (it’s) still better to have a Grand Slam than no Grand Slams.”

Kvitova, currently ranked 12th, said she would not enjoy being in quarantine ahead of a tournament.

“It will be very difficult to be in quarantine in a foreign country and the hotel room for two weeks. It wouldn’t be very nice for sure,” she said, adding that it would be “great” if tournaments restart in August.

“So, it will be a tough decision.”

Kvitova required surgery on a stab wound to her racket hand she suffered during an attack by a knife-wielding home intruder in 2016.

Besides the mental trauma, the incident also taught her to cope with waiting on the sidelines.

“I missed tennis for five months when I had to really work (hard) to be back playing. I really missed it when I saw the other girls playing a tournament and fighting,” she said.

“We are all waiting to see what the future brings for us and we know that one day we’re going to be back.”
OLAL

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi (NAN)
)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Hungarian football fans to be allowed into stadiums

Published

on

By

Hungarian football fans will be able to return to reopening stadiums, but only under strict precautionary measures, the Hungarian Football Federation (MLSZ) informed here on Thursday.

“Fans can return to the stands if the organizing club decides to take the opportunity and keep certain restrictions and precautions. Spectators can be admitted to football matches again from Thursday, based on the government’s decision,” MLSZ wrote in a statement published on its website.

“With regard to the stands, the government decree lays down rules for Hungarian clubs. An important element of this is that only one in four chairs can be used. Social distancing has to be kept at all points, especially points of entries, buffets and restrooms,” the MLSZ added.

“In order to protect the health of players, the strict regulations and mandatory tests applicable to them will remain in force,” the MLSZ underlined.

This means that the so-called sports zone, such as the immediate surroundings of the field, is subject to the same strict regulations as in the past, while only persons whose participation is essential to the match and who possess a recent negative coronavirus test can enter the area.

Hungarian football started again on May 23, but so far all matches have been held behind closed doors. The next open game will pit Kaposvar against ZTE on Friday night.

According to official figures, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Hungary stood at 3,816 on Thursday, with 1,996 recoveries and 509 fatalities.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Sport

Espanyol, Leganes offer free 2020-2021 season tickets to fans

Published

on

Espanyol and Leganes fans, holding current season tickets, will be handed free passes for the entire 2020-2021 campaign to compensate for missing matches due to the shutdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the two La Liga clubs said on Tuesday.

The Spanish top-flight is set to resume in June after being provisionally suspended in March with 11 rounds of matches remaining but, as in Germany’s Bundesliga, fans cannot attend the games in order to prevent further spread of the virus.

It is unclear when fans will be able to return to stadiums, with medical experts saying mass gatherings should be avoided until there is a vaccine, which is unlikely to be available until 2021.

With the two teams struggling at the bottom of the standings, it is possible that one or both sides could be playing in the second division next season.

“Leganes will automatically renew all its season ticket holders for the next season,’’ said a statement from the club, based in the satellite city of the same name just outside Madrid.

“Taking into account the implications that COVID-19 has brought to the country and specially the city of Leganes, the club wants to compensate its fans and season ticket holders.’’

Barcelona side, Espanyol said that in addition to offering its 27,833 season ticket holders free 2020-2021 passes, they would also reimburse 20 per cent of the value of their current season ticket to account for the matches they will miss.

Earlier this month, Getafe became the first Spanish top-flight club to offer season ticket holders free passes for the following campaign.

Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

German FA president calls for player salary cap to help keep fans

Published

on

The President of German Football Association (DFB), Fritz Keller, says football must learn long term lessons from the coronavirus crisis to keep fans on board.

Keller suggested better financial controls and player salary caps to do this.

Germany’s Bundesliga was shut for more than two months in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, before becoming the first major football league to resume action last week.

“We have to learn from our mistakes, because the crisis is an opportunity to restructure football,” Keller said in a virtual address to the DFB’s extraordinary meeting on Monday.

“We need to bring professional football to the people, to their everyday world. So we need an improved financial control system and, yes, a salary cap,” he added.

Some German clubs were close to financial collapse after the first month of suspension, the league had warned, as it pushed for a restart.

But the restart has also been criticised by some as too early.

The DFB meeting also approved the restart on May 30, of Germany’s third division, with the last match day scheduled on July 4.

This was in spite of opposition by some of its members who had called for the season to be abandoned.

In a vote, 222 were in favour of a resumption of the division, with 12 voting against and 16 abstaining.

Germany had reported some 178,570 positive COVID-19 cases, while the death toll rose by 10 on Monday to 8,257.

Keller noted that football needed to think long term.

“Commissions for agents and immense transfer figure irritate society and estrange them from our beloved sport. Football has to offer satisfactory answers to these issues.

“We do not only need new rules, but also a new attitude, not to think just from season to season, as we painfully found out.

“Football as a whole has to live on long term perspectives,” Keller stated.

(
Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu and Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sudden death of popular Terrace House star shocks Japan, fans

Published

on

The sudden death of Hana Kimura, a 22-year-old professional wrestler and a cast member in the popular Netflix reality show, “Terrace House,” has shocked fans.

The incident had also raised concerns over cyber-bullying after reports indicated  that she was harassed on social media.

Kimura was one of six residents in the most recent season of  Terrace House, an internationally popular show that follows the lives of young men and women living together.

Filming of the show was suspended in April due to the coronavirus.

Stardom, a pro wrestling organisation that Kimura was affiliated with, confirmed her death in a statement posted on Twitter on Saturday, adding that details remained unclear.

Kimura was a fan favourite on the show, with her signature pink hair and shy personality contrasting with her persona in the wrestling ring.

Fans flocked to Twitter after reports of her death, applauding Kimura’s work on the Netflix show.

“I’m sorry Hana that this world was cruel to you and that you could not find your peace,” one user wrote.

Celebrities also weighed in on the topic of online harassment after since-deleted social media posts from Kimura mentioned how she was affected by a torrent of negative opinions from strangers online.

Yukio Hatoyama, Japan’s former prime minister, also posted about Kimura’s death on Twitter, saying Japan should consider penalties for those who target individuals for severe online harassment.

(
Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Peruvian forward Farfan thanks fans as he recovers from COVID-19

Published

on

By

Peru and Lokomotiv Moscow forward Jefferson Farfan has taken to social media to thank fans for their support as he battles COVID-19.

The 35-year-old was diagnosed with the virus on May 16 and has been recovering at his home in the Russian capital.

“I’m feeling stronger and better every day, and keeping a positive mentality,” Farfan said on social media.

“Today was a good day but tomorrow will be even better. It helps knowing that I have people who support me and always offer encouragement.”

Farfan, who has been capped 95 times for Peru, has yet to play a match for his club this season after suffering a serious knee injury during last year’s Copa America in Brazil.

The Russian Premier League is due to restart on June 21 after it was suspended in mid-March because of the global coronavirus outbreak. Lokomotiv are currently second in the 16-team standings with eight games remaining.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Sport

Fury hopes to ‘give fans what they want’ with Joshua showdown

Published

on

Tyson Fury said he was eager to give British boxing fans what they want by fighting Anthony Joshua for the undisputed world heavyweight title, but said the duo must focus on their immediate opponents to make such a match happen.

Fury won the WBC title in Las Vegas three months ago with a seventh-round stoppage of Deontay Wilder.

Joshua defeated Mexican-American Andy Ruiz Jr in a December rematch in Saudi Arabia to reclaim his IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles.

Joshua’s next fight is with mandatory IBF challenger Kubrat Pulev, but their bout, scheduled for June 20, was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.

Fury will take on Wilder in a rematch later this year.

“If I get knocked out by Wilder, then it won’t be on, will it?

“It’ll be another fight with Wilder… If he loses to Pulev, so close, but so far.

“In heavyweight boxing, you can never count your chickens before they hatch, so one fight at a time, one victory at a time,” Fury told Sky Sports.

Fury said a meeting with Joshua had the potential to be the biggest match since Britons Lennox Lewis and Frank Bruno fought in 1993.

“All going well, God willing, we get on the big fight with me and Joshua, the all-British showdown, and I can give the fans what they want to see, especially the British fans,” he promised.

Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/ (NAN)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

COVID-19: Sydney fans watch live concert from cars

Published

on

Singer-songwriter Casey Donovan performed on stage in Sydney on Thursday in a free concert that treated fans to some of the first live music many had heard in months.

But they had to stay in their cars to enjoy it.

Drive-in concerts are emerging as a trend that allows performers to connect with fans in real life while maintaining safe social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.

Donovan, who shot to fame after winning Australian Idol more than a decade ago, headlined the performance in a car park to about 40 vehicles.

“I’ve been missing live music so much that I’ll go and see it in a car park, in my car just so I can see live music in front of me. It’s good,” said audience member Mick Radojkovic.

To ensure physical distancing, audience members were not allowed to leave their cars but could tune into an FM band on their radios to get full high-definition sound, or simply wind down their windows in spite of the rain.

Instead of clapping or cheering, fans blared their car horns.

Drive-in Entertainment Australia plans to have several more car park concerts in coming months with many more people being able to attend as COVID-19 restrictions are eased further.

Musicians around the world have had to adapt how they engage with their audiences due to mass closures of concert venues, with many performing online from their homes in virtual concerts.

Concert venues are expected to be among the last to reopen because of the challenges of social distancing.

Country music star, Keith Urban, performed a surprise live show at a drive-in movie theatre in Nashville, in a test drive for how concerts might look in the era of social distancing.

It was thought to be the first major live music show of its kind in the United States, following the cancellation of hundreds of concerts and tours and the closure of large venues in March because of the coronavirus epidemic.

Edited By: Emmanuel Okara/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Good old football with fans will return soon, UEFA boss says

Published

on

UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin is upbeat that confident football will soon return to normal in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and would bet a million dollars that the postponed Euro 2020 tournament will take place in 2021.

On Wednesday’s edition of Britain’s Guardian newspaper, Ceferin said football has also stayed the same after previous challenges, however, lessons could be learnt from the health crisis which brought the game to a standstill in almost every country of the world.

Germany’s Bundesliga restarted at the weekend behind closed doors and other big leagues, as well as UEFA’s Europa and Champions Leagues, are to follow with the aim of completing the season by late summer.

That was made possible when UEFA postponed the Euro tournament by 12 months, and asked whether he would bet 1 million dollars that it would really take place next year, Cefering was very upbeat.

“Yes, I would, I don’t know why it wouldn’t be. I don’t think that this virus will last forever. I think it will change sooner than many think.

“We know more about the virus and in general I’m an optimistic person. I don’t like this apocalyptic view that we have to wait for the second and third waves or even a fifth wave.

“We are ready and we will follow the recommendations of the authorities but I’m absolutely sure, personally, that good old football with fans will come back very soon,’’ he told newsmen.

There has been talk whether football would still be the same after taking big financial hits during the lockdown period but Ceferin said while there are “always lessons to be learned” it has a bright future.

“I don’t think that anything will change forever. It’s a new experience and when we get rid of this bloody virus things will go back to normal.

“Football didn’t change after the second world war, or first world war, and it will not change because of a virus either,’’ Ceferin said.

He also confirmed that the third-tier continental competition, the so-called Europa Conference League, will start in 2021 to 22 in spite of the current crisis.

“We will do it, absolutely. We will not postpone it,’’ Ceferin said.

Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Felix Ajide (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also