Mr Idi Murkhtar, a Commercial farmer and Managing Director, Zaidi Farms Ltd, Kaduna, has called on the Federal Government to establish National Livestock Development Authority (NALDA) to meet the nation’s growing demand for beef and dairy products.
Mukhtar, who made the call in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Wednesday in Kaduna, said, NALDA should be mandated to overhaul, regulate and ensure faster growth of the entire livestock sector.
The age-long pastoralism system is no longer sustainable.It is unproductive, it is crises prone. Nigeria must change.
Urgent national attention is required to completely transform the livestock sector politically, economically and socially.
Institutional changes and legal reforms are critical to achieving the transformation and development in the dairy sector,” he said.
Mukthar noted that the creation of NALDA would bridge the gap of the annual national demand of the 1.3 billion liters of milk annually.
He said Nigerians would equally tap from the employment opportunities and enable skilled, abundant cheap labour through public, private partnership that would enhance faster growth of the sector.
Nigeria has a population dynamics of 200 million people with 42.3 per cent young adults, while 50 per cent live in urban areas.
He said the prospects were enormous, with 131 ruminant resources in addition to abundant land, water resources and favorable climate.
Murkhtar said the agency should also address current challenges faced by the diary and livestock industry.
He listed the challenges as: incoherent policy implementation, poor funding by state and local governments and poor extension services from agricultural agencies.
“The sector also faces challenges of inadequate power and rural infrastructure, insecurity, low genetic potential of indigenous cattle, disease outbreak due to poor veterinary and animals health system. ”
He explained that the challenges if left unaddressed could have a negative impact on the nation’s diary sector.
The farmer said addressing the challenges would fast track the potential in the Nation’s 22 million cattle population which are yet to be fully realized.
“It will also address the continuous movement of livestock in search for greener pasture every one kilometer burning about 12 kilo-calories of their energy.“
He further said that the country would only compete favorably with the top African milk producers such as Kenya and South Africa who are leaders in milk production.
Top African Milk producers and cattle population: Kenya 18 million, 4 million pure breed milk with 3.4 billion liters of milk per year.
South Africa 14 million all dairy with 3.2 billion liters of milk per year, while Nigeria with 22 million cattle with only 2,000 pure breed producing 560 million liters of milk annually.
We must also select and upgrade local dairy breeds of cattle through artificial insemination, cross breeding and embryo transfer .
This will result into the development of national dairy breeds with superior performance traits.
There should also be livestock breeding centers (LBC) in each geo-political zones to propagate genetically improved breeds and license genuine imports and importation of life animals to meet defined national needs.
We must also develop and enhance the capacity of pastoralists through the provision of quality extension services and a developed national dairy value chain aligned to the regional, national and continental needs.
“This would address problems of productivity, processing capacity, trade barriers, access to market information and facilitate private participation in commercial fodder production for small and medium scale dairy producers. ”
He said the agency should ensure strict implementation of statutes in the ECOWAS transhumance control to national advantage and to enforce transhumance entry and exit documentations.
It should ensure massive improvement in logistics and rural infrastructure, pasture cultivation, rural roads, electric or solar cooling tanks,” he said.
Murkhtar said the agency should equally ensure creation and sustenance of efficient milk collection centers, milk evacuation trucks, facilitate market information and market access.
The agency, he noted, should ensure favorable milk price system; good producer, off-taker relations, scale up smallholder capacity, knowledge and skills related to good animal husbandry practices.
Corperatise pastoralists to serve as nucleus for milk production and marketing.
The farmer said NALDA, if created should be mandated to work with reputable partners to develop strategic dairy value chain.
He noted that the federal ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development had so far over concentrated on crops/agronomy to the detriment of the nation’s livestock, leaving over 131 million ruminants with no home.
He said NALDA should be saddled with the responsibility of developing pasture seeds, ensuring animal health, quality products and services, quality water and pasture, as well as providing farm equipment.
Murkhtar said the agency should be saddled with the responsibility to facilitate cheap finance and credits for livestock farmers.
Government should also facilitate and regulate milking parlors, milking machines, standard fencing materials, efficient milk aggregation and transportation system, diary super markets among others,” he added.
- Lalong mourns Dalyep, Plateau student killed by Boko Haram
- Kaduna introduces electronic traffic enforcement
- Police arrest 1,527 kidnap suspects, recover 2,037 firearms in 2019 – I-G
- Manchester United fall to Burnley as fans turn on club’s U.S. owners
- Leicester City cement third spot with 4-1 win over West Ham
- Kaduna-Zaria highway: Police kill 2 bandits, rescue 20 victims
- NSCDC resolves 210 civil disputes, arrest 217 suspects in Adamawa
- Coronavirus: Symptoms, treatment and how to protect yourself — NCDC
- Edo 2020: Ebonyi sends 140-man contingent to zonal elimination
- Archbishop Chukwuma decries killing of Adamawa CAN Chairman
- Sanusi urges leaders, politicians to protect interest of less privileged
- WHO postpones decision on declaring China coronavirus as global health emergency
- Ipas Nigeria trains journalists on women sexual reproductive health
- Bauchi Govt. to install solar panel in Yankari Game Reserve
- Kaigama tasks Nigerians on culture of dialogue, peaceful coexistence
- Lassa Fever: Akeredolu meets traditional rulers in Owo to curb scourge
- Our association ready to prepare Kwara basketball team for honours at Edo 2020, official says
- Vesico Vaginal Fistula repairs: 36 women register for operation in Akwa Ibom – Matron
- 7 killed, 1 injured in cults clash in Ijede, Ikorodu
- Security: North-Central governors strategise on community policing
- FRSC promotes 283 personnel in Sokoto zone, calls for increased dedication
- LAGESC arrests 36 persons for alleged environmental offences – Official
- Kaduna AIDS Agency to introduce HIV self-testing kits
- FG to inaugurate National Traffic Radio
- U.S. Visa Restrictions: We are not going to react to speculations, says Presidency
- DMO offers N155bn of 3 Instruments to investors
- UN Chief rolls out plans to tackle global challenges
- FRSC tasks decorated personnel on service delivery
- Abule Egba pipeline explosion: Lagos govt. opens Igando Relief Camp for victims
- LAGESC arrests 36 persons for environmental offences
- Crashes: FG tasks FRSC on more enforcement of road traffic rules
- Commission to construct 500 houses for displaced persons in Borno
- NIOB decry increasing building collapse, calls for stiffer regulations
- Stakeholders advocate effective policy to curb communal clashes in North-Central
- Zamfara APC seeks FG’s intervention over alleged harassment by Gov. Matawalle
- Re-run election: Political parties sign peace accord in Kaduna
- Mob attack police, lynches “one chance” suspect in Abuja
- Ex Police CSP petitions IGP over attempt to frustrate assassination investigation
- Alleged drug trafficker to know fate on Jan.27
- Supreme court can’t reverse Imo governorship judgment – Lawyer
- Late Nipsey Hussle to be honoured at the Grammy Awards
- Alleged drug trafficker objects admissibility of NDLEA witness evidence in court
- Supreme Court: APC commends members for remaining calm, law abiding in Adamawa
- Edo 2020 Prelims: FCT football team qualify, as Plateau shine in female volleyball
- Dangote Cement share buyback to be completed in 12 months — Official
- Iran dedicates ‘world sacrifice prize’ to legacy of slain ‘martyr’ General Soleimani
- 1,500-year-old tombstone with Greek inscription discovered in Israel
- Tartan tracks of Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium are of international standard, Edo deputy governor assures
- Rights group urges sanctions against Venezuela over armed groups
- Rugby: Team Lagos beats Ogun ahead Edo 2020
- China’s big internet firms see robust 2019 revenue growth
- Russian central bank sees inflation slowing down in early 2020
- UK-Africa Investment Summit scales up investment for Africa’s clean energy transformation
- Tribal attack in disputed South Sudan border region kills 29
- Zimbabwe’s national grain stocks dwindle
- Trump says U.S. to add more countries to travel ban soon
- 17 deaths, 444 cases of new viral pneumonia reported in Hubei
- Airtel’s touching lives season-5 provides succour to less privileged
- ABU gets new Vice-Chancellor
- S/Court Judgement: PLASU says Gov. Lalong’s victory apt , significant
- Liverpool boss Klopp rules out January transfer exits
- Lagos Deputy Governor tasks religious leaders on moral values
- FG develops pneumonia control strategy– Minister
- Police kill notorious kidnapper in Katsina, rescue 7-months-old baby
- Expert identifies benefits of Science Ministry, Dundee University collaboration
- NSE: Market indicators sustain downtrend by 0.02%
- APC reconciles 35 aggreived youth groups in Zamfara
- NEMA distributes relief materials to IDPs in Abuja camps
- Imperious Federer thumps Krajinovic to set up Millman show
- Katsina Govt. to spend N401m monthly on minimum wage
- Live above board, embrace team work, Nasarawa MHWUN Chairman urges newly-elected officials
- Davido’s personal assistant, Aloma, buys new Mercedes Benz
- Rerun: INEC trains 100 NYSC members in Ogun
- FRSC intensifies patrol to check reckless driving on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway
- FRSC decorates 46 newly-promoted officers in Delta
- Music Star, Naira Marley urges ‘Marlians’ not to mortgage their future
- Mongolian capital to reform public transportation
- FG markets Argungu fishing festival to global tourism investors
- Lawyer cautions against politicising security issues
- World leaders arrive Jerusalem for World Holocaust Forum
- Adamawa Government declares end of cholera outbreak
- Foreign countries sabotaging efforts to repatriate Allison-Madueke – Magu
- Serena dances into third round in Melbourne
- Imo will pay minimum wage after negotiation with labour – Gov. Uzodinma
- Court gives EFCC nod to freeze N136m linked to army chief, Hakeem Otiki
- Somalia, UN agencies launch $1.03bn-live-saving-plan to help 3 million people
- Sanwo-Olu says work-related injuries, ill health rising in Nigeria
- IPMAN lauds Gov. Ugwuanyi for averting crisis, calls off strike
- Duchess Kate embarks on UK tour for childhood survey
- Labour denies agreement with A’Ibom Govt on minimum wage
- NLNG signs sales deal with TGP
- Group commends Osun govt’s youth development programmes
- Bunkering: Navy hands over 6 suspects, barge to EFCC in Bayelsa
- Gov.Fintiri promises to recover looted funds
- Court remands 2 for allegedly raping 20-year-old woman
- Mining Cadastral Office trains staff on electronic system
- Putin: Russia not ready for parliamentary system
- USAID launches $8 million ‘Water for Agriculture’ project
- Kaduna govt. provides medical intervention in 963 health facilities
- Fast track trial of those indicted in power sector probe – SERAP tells AGF, EFCC, ICPC
- Misappropriation of funds: Allegations remain baseless – AMAC Spokesperson
- South African Airways should be saved – ANC
- Politicisation of ‘Amotekun’ unhealthy, dangerous – Gov. Oyetola
- 250, 000 children in Nigeria die first day of life – UNICEF
- Administration of Criminal Justice Act will enhance professionalism in police force- IGP
- TCN to acquire helicopters for fault detection on power lines
- BMO urges PDP to apologise over protests
- Guinea-Bissau electoral commission confirms Embalo as president
- Suspended Lagos mass transit train service resumes Thursday — Official
- Gombe to strengthen media fortunes
- Egypt, Saudi hold joint naval drills in Red Sea
- Rep. Maren condemns brutal murder of 100 level student of Unimaid
- We won‘t sign minimum wage agreement that ‘ll lead to retrenchment in Ondo – Labour
- Cattle allegedly destroys rice farmland worth N17 in Enugu community
- $1.2bn Malabu oil scam: Confusion from EFCC stalls Adoke’s arraignment
- Police arrest inspector for alleged murder of widow in A’Ibom
- INEC calls for review of gender policy
- Wrestling: Oborududu climbs to career-high 3, Adekuoroye returns to 2 in World ranking
- Amotekun: Tinubu calls for dialogue
- Correctional Centre (prisons) sends SOS to the judiciary on awaiting trial inmates
- Nigeria’s economy still vulnerable to external shocks, says LCCI President
- 4 women bag 6 months jail term each for engaging minors to beg in Enugu
- World Bank urges Africa to embrace global value chains
- FRSC tasks 192 newly promoted officers on commitment
- Senator drills 354 tube wells to promote dry season farming
- UITH holds refresher course for nephrology nurses
- Top EU official warns trade partners to brace for climate tariffs
- Imo: Clerics urge Supreme Court to explain alleged conflicting figures
- SAHCO wins Ethiopian Airlines’ ground handling contract
- Belarus awaits Pompeo’s Feb. 1 visit considered highest level U.S. visit in decade
- Re-elected health union leader assures of better days
- We are not recruiting-NAF
- Civil society group wants court to stop IMN from publishing book
- Libya’s UN-backed government says Haftar forces hit Tripoli airport
- Kwara Gov’s wife seeks stakeholders intervention against drug abuse
- Market sanitation: Iyanoba chairman urges traders compliance
- FRSC tasks 16 newly-promoted officers, marshals on saving lives on hinterland highways
- BBNaija star, Mercy Eke makes Nollywood debut in `Fate of Alakada’
- Iranian minister urges Europe to `exert sovereignty’ amid U.S. pressures
- Gov Sanwo-Olu lauds NNPC, SNEPCo donation of medical emergency equipment
- Two site labourers to die by hanging for stealing car at gunpoint
- Paraguay’s President Abdo contracts dengue fever amid outbreak
- Kwara Gov’s Wife commits govt to efficient healthcare delivery
- Lawmaker distributes 200 JAMB forms to students in Nasarawa
- NGO calls for laws to spring up small, micro industries in Enugu
- Bayelsa Medical University holds maiden matriculation with 208 students
- Breaking: Arraignment of Adoke stalled
- Aregbesola tasks ICRC on creativity, innovation to address infrastructure deficit
- Swine fever: Italian police seize illegally imported pork from China
- NCDC advises Nigerians on China’s mystery coronavirus
- Court remands couple over alleged teen murder
- Police warn public against use of dustbins to dispose documents
- Censors Board destroys illicit films worth N50m in Kaduna
- I will set new record in Tokyo Paralympics – 5-time paralympian boasts
- FG to establish Agro-allied industry in each senatorial district
- Egypt foils plan to create chaos ahead of Jan. 25 uprising anniversary- ministry
- Edo 2020: National Referee Judge hopeful of Ebonyi’s impressive performance
- Decision to move AFC matches out of Iran is political, Iranian leader’s aide says
- NGO urges FG to halt allocation to states with LG transition committees
- My wife committed polyandry – man alleges in court
- Former court president of eastern china province expelled from CPC
- Okorodudu decries lack of training equipment for young boxing talents
- Court remands 8 men over alleged conspiracy, armed robbery in Gombe
- Kwara commissioner tasks students on patriotism
- Wuhan virus sees Olympic football qualifiers moved
- Man arrested over knife attack at Beijing hospital
- Mohamed Wahab named Africa’s best technical official of 2019
- Medical expert advises teenagers against underage family planning
- NGO to sensitise over 200,000 youths on substance abuse prevention
- Akwete Youths protest unjust treatment from Rubber Research Institute
- Sokoto workers to receive N30,000 minimum wage from January
- Promotion: Sector commander tasks officials on discipline, had work
- Edo won’t blow its trumpet until 20th NSF comes up, Osifo says
- My husband is violent, threatens to pour acid on me, wife alleges in court
- NFAN says with border closure, we cannot meet local fish demand
- Gov. Bagudu appoints new SA Media
- Lagos Assembly `ll support delivery of Fourth Mainland Bridge project
- NBTE approves 4 national diploma courses in Kwara Arabic college
- Nigerian Army to revive polo sport in Nigeria – Buratai
- Nigeria needs community policing – Legal practitioner
- Businesswoman, 26, in court over alleged N1.3m fraud
- Alleged N13.5m Forex fraud: Housewife in court for allegedly defrauding 19 people
- Adesina hails growing African economies
- Judge punishes correctional service official over obstruction of court proceedings
- Northern Governors condemn Boko Haram’s killing of Michika CAN chairman
- Barber docked over alleged cultism
- Group wants rapid development in Abia
- Porter in court for allegedly stealing tracker, 8 smartphones
- Ghana takes measures to prevent 2019-nCoV
- Iran says to launch new home-made satellite
- Plateau NUJ chair tasks colleagues on reportage
- First case of coronavirus reported in U.S.
- Review of Nigeria’s law, necessary to prevent abortion deaths – Medical Practitioner
- Man, 42, docked for obtaining N234,000 under false pretence
- Security guard gets 6 months jail term for negligent conduct
- Red-hot Nadal faces Delbonis, says majors tally not a focus
- Abandonment: Pregnant wife seeks dissolution of 2-yr-old marriage
- Coronavirus: Nigeria Port Health Services on alert at points of entry – NCDC
- Africa’s unmet infrastructure demand worth $108 billion a year–Adesina
- Coronavirus: NCDC assesses, manages risk, advises on how to keep safe