The Katsina State Cassava Farmers Association has called on the state government to assist its members in selling the commodity in large quantities and at a good price.
The Vice Chairman of the association, Alhaji Lawal Mohammad, made the call in an interview with the Nigeria News Agency on Thursday in Katsina.
He said that the association would want the government to persuade cassava processing companies to purchase the commodity cultivated in large quantities.
“The farmers have cultivated the commodity in large scale but have recorded a glut in selling it in the markets.
“Our members have started harvesting the commodity in large quantities from their farms but the market is too poor.
“We were expecting to dispose of the commodity at once due to the promises made to us by some big companies that process the commodity.” he said.
He appealed to the companies to purchase the commodity, saying that the farmers had no storage facilities.
“We don’t want any member to record losses due to the high level of rainfall in Katsina State in the month of August.’’
Mohammed commended Katsina State Government for providing improved variety of cassava seedlings to the farmers in 2019.
- Gov. Bagudu sets up committee to refund Hajj deposits to pilgrims
- Gov. Bagudu distributes CACOVID food, relief materials to 38,047 households
- COVID-19: Osun Govt warns against indiscriminate decontamination, fumigation
- FG launches distribution of agricultural inputs in Cross River
- COVID-19: Ooni urges Africans to contribute to global development
- NSCDC pledges maximum support to Amotekun in Oyo state
- FG to pay June hazard allowance of medical workers from Aug. 10
- Northern Governors condemn attacks in Southern Kaduna
- NAFDAC advises careful examination of products before buying
- Ooni tasks govt on food security as Ife celebrate yam festival