A 69-year-old man, Emmanuel Uwewezie, and his 29-year-old son, Udoka, were on Wednesday arraigned in a Yaba Magistrates’ Court, Lagos for allegedly assaulting a man whom they owed N300,000.
Uwewezie and Udoka, who reside in Bariga area of Lagos, are facing a three-count charge of conspiracy and assault occasioning harm.
The Police prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Oriabure, told the court that the defendants committed the offences at 2.50p.m., on Sept. 7, at No. 23, Jagunmolu str, Bariga, Lagos.
According to Oriabure, the duo own a bar and had purchased drinks worth N320, 000 from the complainant; Mr Silas Nwankpa.
He alleged that the complainant returned to collect his balance of N300, 000, but the second defendant, Udoka, insulted him and refused to pay.
Oriabure alleged that Nwankpa met the first defendant, Emmanuel, outside the bar and reported his son to him, but that instead of resolving the issue, he too began to assault him and punched him with his fist.
He further alleged that Udoka joined his father and used an iron rod to beat up the complainant who fainted and excreted on himself.
The offences he said, contravened sections 411 and 173 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.(Revised)
The Nigeria News Agency , reports that Section 173 stipulates a three-year jail term for the offence of assault occasioning harm while 411 carries two-years for conspiracy.
The Magistrate, Mrs E.N. Ojuromi , admitted the defendants to bail in the sum of N100,000 each with two sureties in like sum.
Ojuromi said that all the sureties should be above 40 years of age and must be gainfully employed.
She further ruled that they must have their addresses verified by the court and also show evidence of three years tax payments to the Lagos State Government.
The case was adjourned until Oct. 9 for further hearing.
Edited by Nyisom Fiyigon Dore
- India’s COVID-19 tally crosses 2.3m as deaths surge past 46,000 mark
- Dollar holds firm as United States bond yields jump
- Buhari, Governors call for joint strategy to end conflicts
- High Court convicts pirates in hijack of vessel -Navy
- Trump’s campaign feasts on Harris’ past criticisms of Biden
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 423 new cases in Nigeria
- Konta in good spirits day after health scare at Top Seed Open
- Four-goal Shakhtar Donetsk set up Europa League semi-final against Inter Milan
- Bauchi Govt. partners UNESCO on mobile learning for school children
- Sevilla reach Europa League semi-finals as Wolves pay for penalty kick miss