Feature: Anambra Sports Sector Still in Search of Development Blueprint
By Chimezie Anaso, Nigeria News Agency
For more than a year after scrapping of the Ministry of Sports and creating the Anambra Sports Development Commission (ASDC), enthusiasts are still awaiting the blueprint for development of sports in the state.
Although stakeholders in the sports sector have expressed displeasure over the decision of the state government to scrap the ministry in 2018 after it was painstakingly but successfully granted ministry status from Anambra Sports Council in 1999.
Some of those that opposed the policy included retired sports administrators, veteran sportsmen, the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) and the association of coaches in the state who petitioned the governor, Head of Service and other authorities.
While some argued that it was sequel to the proverbial “going back to Egypt” and that the state lacked the sports infrastructure that was amenable to such structure, staffers in the defunct ministry feared for the security of their jobs.
It will interest us that sports has been managed in the state under various structures, including Sports Council, Ministry of Youth and Sports, Ministry of Youth Entrepreneurship and Sports Development and now ASDC.
Opinions are that what is more important above nomenclature, however, is a clear cut blueprint that guarantees development of sports and athletes on a sustainable basis.
A blueprint that will show what Anambra people should expect in the sector in terms of training for coaches and athletes, upgrade and building of more sports infrastructure which is grossly lacking within a given period.
But to the credit of ASDC under its pioneer chairman, Tiny Oli, there is a monthly 10-kilometre “Walk for Life” which started in November last year and has held consistently on every first Saturday.
The monthly walk which is aimed at increasing awareness on the need to keep fit among the cross section of the citizenry is fast becoming a culture but real sportsmen are still at loss as to how it translates to development of sports.
Victor Nwangwu, a retired footballer and seasoned sports administrator, commended the ASDC for creating awareness on healthy living among the people, noting that sedentary lifestyle was taking a negative toll on the health of the people.
Nwangwu, however, noted that the activity was more of promoting sports rather than developing it.
Arthur Ebunam, chairman of Ex-Rangers International FC of Enugu players in Anambra, said he had participated in the Monthly Walk but had long abandoned it had no additional effect on him as a sportsman.
Ebunam said the activity had no impact on the question of sports development as it was neither competitive nor listed like the annual Okpekpe Race in Edo State which attracts international runners and promoted tourism in the country .
He said what is needed was a framework that would guarantee systematic development of talented youths.
Ebunam said it was regrettable that while some states had gone into camping ahead of national competitions like sports festival, there is no state-owned facility where athletes could train.
“Anybody can go to Ekwueme Square or any other opens space to keep fit, monthly walk should not be a cardinal programme of a serious Sports Commission,” he said.
The football season which was meant to have six competitions run concurrently was envisaged to keep no fewer than 45, 000 footballers from primary schools to tertiary institutions busy on the pitch while it lasted.
According to Oli, we have launched our football season which started on Nov. 30 last year and will run till May 27 when the final will hold.
“There will be six competitions in the season, these are the Secondary Schools Academicals that is the Governor’s Cup, Kiddies Cup for Primary Schools and Kings Cup for the 179 communities.
“Others are the Market Exchange Cup for traders, Security Challenge Cup for the security agencies and the Tertiary Cup for the higher institutions in the state.
“We are currently distributing about 1,500 ASDC branded footballs to them and by the time the kick off is done next week, about 45,000 youths will be actively involved in sports unknowingly because of the multiplier effects it will have.
“As the football season is going on, we shall be having our School Sports Festival where we hope to identify the talented young ones that will represent us at the National Youth Sports Festival (NYSF).
“We want to have a pattern, no more fire brigade approach to national competitions again,” he said then.
The football season eventually ended on June 3, with just three competition, including those for primary schools, secondary schools and security agencies.
A source in the Anambra Football Association (FA) revealed that the final for Traders Cup, Tertiary Institutions and Community Shield will not come again this season as some never kicked off while one was abandoned midway.
While expressing dissatisfaction with the standard of matches he saw, the former Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Match Commissioner, said staging football competition of such magnitude without plans of where the discovered talents would go to is near futile.
He said what was needed was to reactivate school sports and float a state football team where the promising ones could progress into instead of the present situation where players of Anambra origin go all over the country begging for employment.
He commended Gov. Willie Obiano for his political will to do something different in sports by setting up the commission, but noted that there was need for structure and blueprint that is amenable to comprehensive sports development.
“It is prerogative of the governor to decide the structure he wants for the sports commission, including sole administrator, but as an administrator, I advise that stakeholders need to sit at a roundtable and chart a way forward,” he said.
Oli has on his part argued that Anambra got its best record at the National Sports Festival (NSF) since the last in 1998 when he led the state contingent to Abuja in December last year.
He attributed their success in Abuja to the level of motivation, determination and passion in the team.
According to him, for the records, we won five gold, 11 silver and 13 bronze medals that placed us in the 16th position on the overall medals table.
“This was followed by Ogun 2006 with four gold, four silver and six bronze to emerge 23rd on the table, while their worst outing was in EKO 2012 where it finished 30th with no gold, three silver and two bronze.
“So, that is the best we have had in the past 20 years; so, it is a good starting point, it may not have met our expectations because we were aiming higher,” he said .
This fact did not impress Nwangwu who said it is not backed with evidence of proper build up.
“It is not correct to say there is an improvement, we know how medals come in competition, we need to know where those athletes trained, which facilities were they using and what were they doing before the festival,” he said.
The Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) in a communiqué issued recently, called on ASDC to comprehensively address development of the various sports, especially those Anambra had comparative advantage in.
“SWAN calls on Gov. Willie Obiano to order proper constitution of ASDC both in organisational structure and scope to accommodate relevant stakeholders, including sports associations.
“SWAN therefore, calls for activities in other sports, including Athletics, Table Tennis, Volleyball, Basketball, Handball, Cricket, Combat Sports and others,” the communique said.
Sports development is a shared responsibility as well as a media event, the sport-loving people deserve to know what is happening in the sector and the trajectory of development that has been designed by those in charge of the sector.
They say the sector must not be like a rudderless ship in mid sea nor managed on knee jerk approach. (NANFeatures)
- How to make local rice attractive to Nigerians – farmers group
- Navy photographer wins award at Calcutta film festival
- FG inaugurates governing board for National Institute for Security Studies
- Saudi Arabian envoy meets Aisha Buhari to strengthen humanitarian intervention in Nigeria
- World Food Programme seeks collaboration with Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs
- We’ll provide enabling environment for businesses to thrive, Buhari assures
- FG to allocate first phase of National Housing Project in 2020
- Alleged misappropriation of funds: AMAC Speaker urges patience among residents
- Road construction creates jobs, promote procurement – Fashola
- UNICEF rolls out child-friendly community initiative in Adamawa
- Nigeria is working on Lassa fever vaccine — Minister
- Danish firm donates laptop computers to Oriwu College, Ikorodu
- Absence of witness stalls hearing of Offa robbery case
- Buhari greets APC stalwart, Emeka Wogu, at 55
- Coronavirus: FG assures will strengthen surveillance at 5 international airports
- Nigeria Entertainment Today unvails NECLive8 package
- Re-run election: INEC rejects results in Essien Udim LGA of Akwa-Ibom
- Border: NIS arrests 4 human traffickers, rescues 4 victims
- 2020: FRSC to begin vision test for drivers
- Reopening of Maiduguri-Damboa road excites traditional ruler, commuters
- Senate resumes, to deliberate on security challenges
- ACCI seeks attitudinal change by regulators to enhance ‘Ease of Doing Business’
- Halting spread of Coronavirus our highest priority- WHO
- CPC seals foreign supermarket for selling expired, contraband food items
- NAPTIP secures 84 convictions in Lagos state in 17 years
- FG moves to equip civil servants with technical skills
- National Park Service seeks media collaboration to cut down revenue flight
- Kogi Assembly confirms 16 commissioner nominees for appointment
- Development: Nasarawa govt urges youths to embrace education
- NEMA prepared to tackle floods in 2020 – DG
- Gov. Abiodun pledges to rebuild burnt Sagamu market
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway project: more buildings to be demolished
- NYSC will start revenue generation soon, says DG
- Gov. Zulum says trust deficit between military, civil authorities prolonging insurgency
- Morte than 100 Vietnamese killed in traffic accidents over lunar near year
- Burundi human rights group reports abuses in run-up to presidential elections
- Electricity: GenCos fail to generate 3,205.5 megawatts due to gas shortage
- Thousands rally in Pakistan to demand release of rights activist
- NSE market indices extend loss by 0.59%
- 9th Assembly to deploy legislative instruments to address insecurity
- Lagos establishes farmers’ market, upgrades agricultural supply chain
- Police arraign 3 for allegedly stealing employer’s N180, 000 iron rods
- Agric expert advises farmers to respect NIMET guidelines
- Guinness pledges N480m for water intervention project in 5 states
- We’ll be harder on bandits, Buhari assures Nigerians
- World Data Privacy Day: Citizens urged to protect their personal data
- Lassa fever claims 4 lives in Taraba
- Wuhan virus spreads despite efforts to contain it
- Dentist on trial in Germany for 26 forged Picassos
- USAID launches $60m for West Africa trade, investment hub
- Nigeria needs 700,000 housing units yearly to bridge deficit – Economist
- GSS Gwarimpa emerges winner of 2020 NILDS quiz competition
- Group tasks FG on substantive engagement of youths
- Customs tasks officers on smugglers new methods
- NAPTIP inaugurates state-of- the arts operational facility in Benin
- Netanyahu indicted on corruption charges after immunity bid withdrawn
- NSCDC issues 3-weeks ultimatum to unregistered private guard companies in Jigawa
- Deadly attacks persist in Plateau communities, 1 killed, houses burnt
- Colombia faces judicial hassle over extradition from Venezuela
- 2020: Financial experts, others task FG on manufacturing, agricultural sectors
- APC in absolute control of Kano state says Doguwa
- Residents groan as power supply in Bayelsa worsen
- 7th KWASFEST: Athletes lament poor coordination, welfare, kits
- Fire razes Sabo market in Sagamu
- NGO embarks on measures to reduce poverty among people with disabilities
- Ikeja Computer Village: Court fixes April 8 for hearing in suit challenging levies
- 7th Kwara Sports Festival: Oyun, Ilorin South, Asa local governments win golds
- Kungfu Federation to establish training centres – President
- Ondo 2020: Why PDP may lose again, party leaders write Secondus, Atiku
- `Okada’ ban: Lagos residents hail Sanwo-Olu
- 40-year-old man electrocuted in Jigawa
- Union Bank of Nigeria to divest from UK subsidiary
- Residents debunk allegations of mayhem by `investors’ at `Oko Oloyun’s’ office
- Buhari to public officers: Don’t be afraid of audit if you are clean
- Environment:Agency cautions Nasarawa state residents against bush burning
- Nigerian Army reopens Maiduguri-Damboa Road, assures safety of commuters
- Army reopens Maiduguri-Damboa road, assures users of safety
- Nasarawa govt. distributes N29m food to boarding schools
- Lassa Fever: 3 persons discharge after testing negative in Adamawa
- FG to prioritise completion of road projects in Southwest, other zones – Official
- Nasarawa Govt to partner entertainment industry on youth restiveness
- Man in court over alleged breach of peace, threat to life
- Gov. Ortom says hospitality, tourism sectors viable revenue earners for govt.
- Plateau govt. to build 6 hospitals, world class medical laboratory
- Federal University Wukari appoints Registrar, Bursar
- Kaduna State Govt. to sanction defaulting PHCs
- Be more diligent, proactive in your duties, FRSC task officers
- Jigawa environmental agency evacuates 50, 000 tonnes of waste — Official
- ABCON celebrates 4 years of sustained exchange rate stability
- We are not distracted by your baseless rating, FG replies TI
- Eko Electric inaugurates projects at Ikoyi passport office
- Electronics dealer faces $17,297 fraud charge
- Emenike: Sponsors of killer NSCDC personnel must be unravelled – Rep. Chima
- Micro- Finance bank sues worker for allegedly stealing N1.8m
- Sanwo-Olu says women are potential asset for societal growth
- TUC calls for reduction in cost of governance for economic growth
- NGO donates 300 KVA transformer to Gwandu community in Kebbi
- Present govt interested in conducting census — NPC Ag. Chairman
- Ebonyi Govt explains N750 schools development levy
- Capacity building : Total to train 9 Nigerian lecturers at MIT
- Expert calls for holistic approach in curtailing outbreaks of Lassa fever
- Nigeria to begin rice export in 2 years…..Minister
- Corruption: NOA, ICPC partner on scrutinising execution of constituency projects
- FCTA begins payment of new Minimum Wage, clears N4bn arrears
- Police arraign man over alleged abduction, sexual assault of 3 women
- Lagos lawmaker distributes 1,000 JAMB forms to constituents
- 15 die, 38 injured as truck plunges into river on Ibadan-Ijebu Ode road
- Lassa fever spreads to Gombe: 2 die, 5 in hospital
- Why PFAs shun equities market – Operators
- Four sales reps face N23m cocoa theft charge
- NSCDC collaborates with JAMB to combat extortion, malpractice
- Agency provides 4 locations for gas operators in Kaduna
- Lassa fever: Emir of Kano calls for prayers, cautions against self medication
- Court reduces Maina’s bail conditions to N500m
- No confirmed case of Lassa fever in FCT –Minister
- Man bags 2 months for stealing track suit
- Enyo partners Cars45 to unveil Premium Auto Centre
- Nigeria, Netherlands explore areas of collaboration in education
- AEDC warn against spate of attacks on staff
- Police Games: Team assesses games facilities in Anambra
- No case of lassa fever in C/River, says Health Commissioner
- Biosafety agency cautions citizens on Lassa fever, coronavirus , assures on containment
- NDE trains 630 unemployed youth in Kebbi
- Man docked for alleged N1.5m fraud
- Nigeria to get $417m from Global Fund to tackle Malaria
- National biosafety management agency receives world customs award
- NGO urges FG to revoke contract for Birnin Gwari-Dan Gulbi road, one other
- Woman rescues day-old baby in Niger
- Think out of the box, BPE boss tells staff
- Renewable energy: NCF seeks import duty removal on solar panel
- FG to intensify hand washing culture in public places to halt Lassa fever
- Lassa fever: Plateau confirms 7 cases, no death recorded
- NSE to launch Growth Board to boost liquidity
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on diligence
- Man arraigned for allegedly stealing N127,000
- Tomato farmers seek govt’s intervention to combat pests, boost production
- Miyetti Allah tasks Bello on security in Kogi
- CISLAC urges NASS to strengthen oversight on Defence sector
- Sen. Gyang decries killing of some Plateau citizens by gunmen
- Inauguration: NMA congratulates Gov. Bello, lauds achievements in health sector
- Traditional ruler lauds UNICEF, EU health interventions in Kebbi
- Global Fund increases allocation to Nigeria by 30% – Official
- Kano re-run: Police arrest 3 suspects for electoral offence
- Revenue commission targets solid minerals to enhance collection
- Anambra Govt. enrols war veterans in health insurance scheme, enrollment hits 81, 000
- Agency tasks religious leaders, faith communities on Universal Health Coverage
- Resumption: CISLAC sets agenda for NASS
- Holocaust: Germany reiterates commitment to combat hatred
- ALGON scores SIP high in Plateau
- Teenager Saka helps Arsenal into FA Cup fifth round
- Minister decries high cost of operations in Nigerian ports
- Nearly 500 migrants rescued by charity boats waiting to reach Europe
- Authorities in India’s west Bengal vote against controversial citizenship law
- 2 Republican senators lean towards wanting Bolton testimony
- France asks U.S. to keep up critical military support in West Africa
- Fashola orders articulated vehicle drivers to vacate road construction sites
- Finnish synagogue vandalised on Holocaust memorial day
- UN chief warns of rise of anti-Semitism on Auschwitz anniversary
- Oyo govt determined to improve IGR – Official
- Obaseki inaugurates 2020 NSF Secretariat
- LASG begins rehabilitation of Ojota Interchange/Kudirat Abiola Junction road
- LCCI reacts to upward review of CRR
- Don’t declare Abia North Senatorial seat vacant, Bourdex urges NASS
- Oba of Benin urges Ganduje to reconsider decision on new Emirates
- Wrestling: NWF names 15 athletes for 2020 African championships in Algiers
- Federal Poly Bida ASUP to call off 4-month strike by Friday
- Misappropriation of funds: AMAC revenue is open to public scrutiny – Chairman
- Buhari positioned to build stronger economy, say Middle East Media Reviews
- State govts desiring roads must be willing to pay compensations- Fashola
- NiMet predicts dust haze weather condition for Tuesday
- Chief of staff to Gov. Mohammed resigns, Ladan Salihu takes over
- Enugu Basketball coach mourns late Kobe Bryant
- NEXIM Bank, partners seek quick passage of Nigerian Factory Bill to promote SMEs
- Police confirms arrest of NSCDC official, alleged killer of AA chieftain in Imo
- No going back until insurgents are subdued –Buratai
- Bello retains SSG, lists 17 Commissioner nominees
- NSCDC orders investigations into killing of Imo AA senatorial candidate
- Kwara govt. revives moribund facilities as sports festival kicks off
- Lagos gets new cabinet members, perm secs
- Lassa Fever: Kwara Govt. sets up isolation centre, begins border screening
- FG pledges to support IDPs willing to return to their communities
- Breast Cancer: Mrs Akeredolu seeks financial support for patients
- Embrace tolerance for one another, UN admonishes youths
- EFCC arrests 2 for vote buying in Ogun rerun election
- Killing of AA Chieftain: NSCDC appeals for calm in Imo
- WAHO advises Nigerians on outbreak of coronavirus in China
- Holocaust: UN urges education, action against hatred
- President Buhari urges end to ‘Tit-ForTat’ violence in Plateau
- Buhari to inaugurate G-Money programme in C/River — Gov. Ayade
- Banditry: NAF assures North West of adequate security support
- France asks U.S. to keep up “critical” military support in West Africa
- Naira closes at N362.94/dollar at I & E window
- Agency, NMA apprehend quack doctor in Kano
- Moles undermining government efforts on security in Niger -Gov. Bello
- Borno contributory healthcare agency to begin enrolment
- NLNG, Eni sign Sale and Purchase Agreement
- Sri Lanka defeat Nigeria by 233 runs at Under-19 Cricket World Cup
- Indian investments in Nigeria exceed 15 billion dollars, says High Commissioner
- Enugu DisCo lauds group for peaceful protest, to address demands
- 2019/2020 FCT FA League: Waco Boys thrash Basic Maracana 6-1, Abees FC beat Fire Service