By Henry Oladele, Nigeria News Agency
In the past six months, the navy has been up in arms against the perpetrators of these economic saboteurs who could go any length to shortchange the nation for selfish monetary gains through their criminal activities.
Some journalists, who witnessed the operation, saw how owners of refineries connect pipes to pipelines carrying crude oil along the Focados waters into huge tanks from where the product is `cooked.’
The illegal refinery site at Benett Island occupies over 10 hectares, which is three times bigger than the one at Yeye area.
On Benett Island, the navy found over 50 illegal production sites just few kilometres away from the same pipeline operated by the nation’s state-owned Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
Dewu showed journalists newly dug holes leading to a shiny valve attached to the pipeline, lying about a metre underground.
He said that big metal tanks connected to pipes run several kilometres to where `cooked’ products are discharged into boats.
“Such is the mammoth task confronting the navy who has vowed to end rampant fuel theft. The practice is depriving the government of badly needed tax revenue.
“The crudest operators hack into pipelines to siphon crude, often at night in rural communities. They then resell it to shady persons who in turn export,” he added.
Dewu said the base seized six ships and 80 large wooden boats used by criminals to siphon crude oil from January till date.
“The seized vessels are: MT AYSU, MT INTERIM, MV MAMA ELIZABETH 1, MT MIRACLE, MV NIPAL and SD WATERMAN.”
He said that the base also destroyed 63 illegal refineries and 1,984 storage facilities, containing 8,610MT of stolen crude; as well as 5,602MT of illegally refined AGO.
“The base has recorded tremendous achievements in the last six months. These are in the areas of operations, infrastructural upgrade and Civil-Military Relations (CMR).
“The base has sustained patrols along creeks and waterways in its Area of Operations (AOO).
“The patrols resulted in the arrest of several suspects, destruction of numerous illegal refineries, stolen crude and illegally refined products,” he said.
He said between March 14 and May 4, the base conducted three swamp buggy operations in Iwhrekreka, Otovwodo and Otumara communities in Ughelli South and Warri South Local Government Areas of Delta.
“At present, the base is engaged in two swamp buggy operations at Yeye and Benneth Island in Burutu and Warri South LGAs of Delta respectively.
The swamp buggy operations led to the destruction of various illegal refinery sites, that would make it extremely difficult to reactivate.
“In the same vein, the swamp buggy operations have so far led to the destruction of about 63 illegal refinery sites.’’
He said that the ongoing swamp buggy operation, was aimed at flushing out militants along the trans-Focados pipeline in Delta.
In this swamp buggy operation, over 10 hectares at Benett Island used for illegal refining of petroleum products by suspected militants were destroyed by the navy.
Operation swamp buggy, according to the commander, is to keep the trans-Focados area safe for business and to also allow foreign ships come to Nigeria to do business.
A convoy with five boats, led journalists for on-the-spot assessment of an illegal refinery camp destroyed by the navy.
It was gathered that the Bakana creeks is a notorious hideout for the syndicate, engaged in illegal refining of petroleum products.
While patrolling the creeks, the naval operatives arrested 19 suspected oil thieves, including two women and recovered five boats laden with 168 drums of 300 litres each of AGO.
Bora said that eight vessels, 18 barges, 42 wooden boats and 38 suspects were arrested and intercepted from January till date.
He added that 70 illegal refinery sites, with several storage tanks and dugout pits laden with over 4,300MT of suspected stolen crude oil as well as over 2,191MT of illegally refined AGO were destroyed.
He said that the security situation in the base’s Area of Operation (AOO) could best be described as unpredictable.
Bora attributed this to upsurge in agitation from various militant groups and conduct of some desperate politicians.
“These groups in their desperation to acquire power at all cost use dubious means, including employment of thugs to threaten the peaceful political climate and security of lives and property in the state.
“The fallout of this reprehensible conduct is the recent cases of reported killings and kidnappings perpetrated by cult groups and other criminals in the state.
“Notwithstanding, the base has re-strategised and put in place measures that would ensure the safety and security of lawful activities within its AOO.
“Operations against crude oil theft, illegal bunkering and other maritime criminalities in the last six months have witnessed the deployment of an average of 10 gunboats and 18 private maritime logistics support company vessels for sustained patrols monthly,’’ Bora said.
The commanders, however, appealed for speedy adjudication of cases related to illegal bunkering and oil theft.
He noted that the process of trial of arrested suspects for oil theft was slow and encouraged the perpetrators to easily go back into the illicit act.
“Suspects should be tried almost immediately and jailed.
“The navy spends huge amount of money in maintaining seized ships, some of the vessels were seized since 2007.”
He urged the judiciary to carry out speedy trial of those arrested over alleged involvement in maritime crimes on the country’s waterways.
“This has become expedient so as to free the channels of ship wrecks and make it navigable for sea going vessels,” he said.
With sustained operation like the ongoing swamp buggy and speedy trial of those involved in oil theft and other maritime crimes, criminality in the Niger Delta region would be reduced to the barest minimum. (NANFeatures)
- How to make local rice attractive to Nigerians – farmers group
- Navy photographer wins award at Calcutta film festival
- FG inaugurates governing board for National Institute for Security Studies
- Saudi Arabian envoy meets Aisha Buhari to strengthen humanitarian intervention in Nigeria
- World Food Programme seeks collaboration with Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs
- We’ll provide enabling environment for businesses to thrive, Buhari assures
- FG to allocate first phase of National Housing Project in 2020
- Alleged misappropriation of funds: AMAC Speaker urges patience among residents
- Road construction creates jobs, promote procurement – Fashola
- UNICEF rolls out child-friendly community initiative in Adamawa
- Nigeria is working on Lassa fever vaccine — Minister
- Danish firm donates laptop computers to Oriwu College, Ikorodu
- Absence of witness stalls hearing of Offa robbery case
- Buhari greets APC stalwart, Emeka Wogu, at 55
- Coronavirus: FG assures will strengthen surveillance at 5 international airports
- Nigeria Entertainment Today unvails NECLive8 package
- Re-run election: INEC rejects results in Essien Udim LGA of Akwa-Ibom
- Border: NIS arrests 4 human traffickers, rescues 4 victims
- 2020: FRSC to begin vision test for drivers
- Reopening of Maiduguri-Damboa road excites traditional ruler, commuters
- Senate resumes, to deliberate on security challenges
- ACCI seeks attitudinal change by regulators to enhance ‘Ease of Doing Business’
- Halting spread of Coronavirus our highest priority- WHO
- CPC seals foreign supermarket for selling expired, contraband food items
- NAPTIP secures 84 convictions in Lagos state in 17 years
- FG moves to equip civil servants with technical skills
- National Park Service seeks media collaboration to cut down revenue flight
- Kogi Assembly confirms 16 commissioner nominees for appointment
- Development: Nasarawa govt urges youths to embrace education
- NEMA prepared to tackle floods in 2020 – DG
- Gov. Abiodun pledges to rebuild burnt Sagamu market
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway project: more buildings to be demolished
- NYSC will start revenue generation soon, says DG
- Gov. Zulum says trust deficit between military, civil authorities prolonging insurgency
- Morte than 100 Vietnamese killed in traffic accidents over lunar near year
- Burundi human rights group reports abuses in run-up to presidential elections
- Electricity: GenCos fail to generate 3,205.5 megawatts due to gas shortage
- Thousands rally in Pakistan to demand release of rights activist
- NSE market indices extend loss by 0.59%
- 9th Assembly to deploy legislative instruments to address insecurity
- Lagos establishes farmers’ market, upgrades agricultural supply chain
- Police arraign 3 for allegedly stealing employer’s N180, 000 iron rods
- Agric expert advises farmers to respect NIMET guidelines
- Guinness pledges N480m for water intervention project in 5 states
- We’ll be harder on bandits, Buhari assures Nigerians
- World Data Privacy Day: Citizens urged to protect their personal data
- Lassa fever claims 4 lives in Taraba
- Wuhan virus spreads despite efforts to contain it
- Dentist on trial in Germany for 26 forged Picassos
- USAID launches $60m for West Africa trade, investment hub
- Nigeria needs 700,000 housing units yearly to bridge deficit – Economist
- GSS Gwarimpa emerges winner of 2020 NILDS quiz competition
- Group tasks FG on substantive engagement of youths
- Customs tasks officers on smugglers new methods
- NAPTIP inaugurates state-of- the arts operational facility in Benin
- Netanyahu indicted on corruption charges after immunity bid withdrawn
- NSCDC issues 3-weeks ultimatum to unregistered private guard companies in Jigawa
- Deadly attacks persist in Plateau communities, 1 killed, houses burnt
- Colombia faces judicial hassle over extradition from Venezuela
- 2020: Financial experts, others task FG on manufacturing, agricultural sectors
- APC in absolute control of Kano state says Doguwa
- Residents groan as power supply in Bayelsa worsen
- 7th KWASFEST: Athletes lament poor coordination, welfare, kits
- Fire razes Sabo market in Sagamu
- NGO embarks on measures to reduce poverty among people with disabilities
- Ikeja Computer Village: Court fixes April 8 for hearing in suit challenging levies
- 7th Kwara Sports Festival: Oyun, Ilorin South, Asa local governments win golds
- Kungfu Federation to establish training centres – President
- Ondo 2020: Why PDP may lose again, party leaders write Secondus, Atiku
- `Okada’ ban: Lagos residents hail Sanwo-Olu
- 40-year-old man electrocuted in Jigawa
- Union Bank of Nigeria to divest from UK subsidiary
- Residents debunk allegations of mayhem by `investors’ at `Oko Oloyun’s’ office
- Buhari to public officers: Don’t be afraid of audit if you are clean
- Environment:Agency cautions Nasarawa state residents against bush burning
- Nigerian Army reopens Maiduguri-Damboa Road, assures safety of commuters
- Army reopens Maiduguri-Damboa road, assures users of safety
- Nasarawa govt. distributes N29m food to boarding schools
- Lassa Fever: 3 persons discharge after testing negative in Adamawa
- FG to prioritise completion of road projects in Southwest, other zones – Official
- Nasarawa Govt to partner entertainment industry on youth restiveness
- Man in court over alleged breach of peace, threat to life
- Gov. Ortom says hospitality, tourism sectors viable revenue earners for govt.
- Plateau govt. to build 6 hospitals, world class medical laboratory
- Federal University Wukari appoints Registrar, Bursar
- Kaduna State Govt. to sanction defaulting PHCs
- Be more diligent, proactive in your duties, FRSC task officers
- Jigawa environmental agency evacuates 50, 000 tonnes of waste — Official
- ABCON celebrates 4 years of sustained exchange rate stability
- We are not distracted by your baseless rating, FG replies TI
- Eko Electric inaugurates projects at Ikoyi passport office
- Electronics dealer faces $17,297 fraud charge
- Emenike: Sponsors of killer NSCDC personnel must be unravelled – Rep. Chima
- Micro- Finance bank sues worker for allegedly stealing N1.8m
- Sanwo-Olu says women are potential asset for societal growth
- TUC calls for reduction in cost of governance for economic growth
- NGO donates 300 KVA transformer to Gwandu community in Kebbi
- Present govt interested in conducting census — NPC Ag. Chairman
- Ebonyi Govt explains N750 schools development levy
- Capacity building : Total to train 9 Nigerian lecturers at MIT
- Expert calls for holistic approach in curtailing outbreaks of Lassa fever
- Nigeria to begin rice export in 2 years…..Minister
- Corruption: NOA, ICPC partner on scrutinising execution of constituency projects
- FCTA begins payment of new Minimum Wage, clears N4bn arrears
- Police arraign man over alleged abduction, sexual assault of 3 women
- Lagos lawmaker distributes 1,000 JAMB forms to constituents
- 15 die, 38 injured as truck plunges into river on Ibadan-Ijebu Ode road
- Lassa fever spreads to Gombe: 2 die, 5 in hospital
- Why PFAs shun equities market – Operators
- Four sales reps face N23m cocoa theft charge
- NSCDC collaborates with JAMB to combat extortion, malpractice
- Agency provides 4 locations for gas operators in Kaduna
- Lassa fever: Emir of Kano calls for prayers, cautions against self medication
- Court reduces Maina’s bail conditions to N500m
- No confirmed case of Lassa fever in FCT –Minister
- Man bags 2 months for stealing track suit
- Enyo partners Cars45 to unveil Premium Auto Centre
- Nigeria, Netherlands explore areas of collaboration in education
- AEDC warn against spate of attacks on staff
- Police Games: Team assesses games facilities in Anambra
- No case of lassa fever in C/River, says Health Commissioner
- Biosafety agency cautions citizens on Lassa fever, coronavirus , assures on containment
- NDE trains 630 unemployed youth in Kebbi
- Man docked for alleged N1.5m fraud
- Nigeria to get $417m from Global Fund to tackle Malaria
- National biosafety management agency receives world customs award
- NGO urges FG to revoke contract for Birnin Gwari-Dan Gulbi road, one other
- Woman rescues day-old baby in Niger
- Think out of the box, BPE boss tells staff
- Renewable energy: NCF seeks import duty removal on solar panel
- FG to intensify hand washing culture in public places to halt Lassa fever
- Lassa fever: Plateau confirms 7 cases, no death recorded
- NSE to launch Growth Board to boost liquidity
- FRSC tasks newly promoted officers on diligence
- Man arraigned for allegedly stealing N127,000
- Tomato farmers seek govt’s intervention to combat pests, boost production
- Miyetti Allah tasks Bello on security in Kogi
- CISLAC urges NASS to strengthen oversight on Defence sector
- Sen. Gyang decries killing of some Plateau citizens by gunmen
- Inauguration: NMA congratulates Gov. Bello, lauds achievements in health sector
- Traditional ruler lauds UNICEF, EU health interventions in Kebbi
- Global Fund increases allocation to Nigeria by 30% – Official
- Kano re-run: Police arrest 3 suspects for electoral offence
- Revenue commission targets solid minerals to enhance collection
- Anambra Govt. enrols war veterans in health insurance scheme, enrollment hits 81, 000
- Agency tasks religious leaders, faith communities on Universal Health Coverage
- Resumption: CISLAC sets agenda for NASS
- Holocaust: Germany reiterates commitment to combat hatred
- ALGON scores SIP high in Plateau
- Teenager Saka helps Arsenal into FA Cup fifth round
- Minister decries high cost of operations in Nigerian ports
- Nearly 500 migrants rescued by charity boats waiting to reach Europe
- Authorities in India’s west Bengal vote against controversial citizenship law
- 2 Republican senators lean towards wanting Bolton testimony
- France asks U.S. to keep up critical military support in West Africa
- Fashola orders articulated vehicle drivers to vacate road construction sites
- Finnish synagogue vandalised on Holocaust memorial day
- UN chief warns of rise of anti-Semitism on Auschwitz anniversary
- Oyo govt determined to improve IGR – Official
- Obaseki inaugurates 2020 NSF Secretariat
- LASG begins rehabilitation of Ojota Interchange/Kudirat Abiola Junction road
- LCCI reacts to upward review of CRR
- Don’t declare Abia North Senatorial seat vacant, Bourdex urges NASS
- Oba of Benin urges Ganduje to reconsider decision on new Emirates
- Wrestling: NWF names 15 athletes for 2020 African championships in Algiers
- Federal Poly Bida ASUP to call off 4-month strike by Friday
- Misappropriation of funds: AMAC revenue is open to public scrutiny – Chairman
- Buhari positioned to build stronger economy, say Middle East Media Reviews
- State govts desiring roads must be willing to pay compensations- Fashola
- NiMet predicts dust haze weather condition for Tuesday
- Chief of staff to Gov. Mohammed resigns, Ladan Salihu takes over
- Enugu Basketball coach mourns late Kobe Bryant
- NEXIM Bank, partners seek quick passage of Nigerian Factory Bill to promote SMEs
- Police confirms arrest of NSCDC official, alleged killer of AA chieftain in Imo
- No going back until insurgents are subdued –Buratai
- Bello retains SSG, lists 17 Commissioner nominees
- NSCDC orders investigations into killing of Imo AA senatorial candidate
- Kwara govt. revives moribund facilities as sports festival kicks off
- Lagos gets new cabinet members, perm secs
- Lassa Fever: Kwara Govt. sets up isolation centre, begins border screening
- FG pledges to support IDPs willing to return to their communities
- Breast Cancer: Mrs Akeredolu seeks financial support for patients
- Embrace tolerance for one another, UN admonishes youths
- EFCC arrests 2 for vote buying in Ogun rerun election
- Killing of AA Chieftain: NSCDC appeals for calm in Imo
- WAHO advises Nigerians on outbreak of coronavirus in China
- Holocaust: UN urges education, action against hatred
- President Buhari urges end to ‘Tit-ForTat’ violence in Plateau
- Buhari to inaugurate G-Money programme in C/River — Gov. Ayade
- Banditry: NAF assures North West of adequate security support
- France asks U.S. to keep up “critical” military support in West Africa
- Naira closes at N362.94/dollar at I & E window
- Agency, NMA apprehend quack doctor in Kano
- Moles undermining government efforts on security in Niger -Gov. Bello
- Borno contributory healthcare agency to begin enrolment
- NLNG, Eni sign Sale and Purchase Agreement
- Sri Lanka defeat Nigeria by 233 runs at Under-19 Cricket World Cup
- Indian investments in Nigeria exceed 15 billion dollars, says High Commissioner
- Enugu DisCo lauds group for peaceful protest, to address demands
- 2019/2020 FCT FA League: Waco Boys thrash Basic Maracana 6-1, Abees FC beat Fire Service