Feature: Nigerian Navy and the Quest for Proficiency
By Modupe Oremule, Nigeria News Agency
“The battlefield is an unforgiving classroom. It is a theater where success and survival in real combat is dependent on hard work during exercise of all nature.’’
The above saying is by Rear Adm. Oladele Daji, the Flag Officer Commanding (FOC) at the opening of “ Small Arms Firing Exercise (SAFEX)’’, organised by the Western Naval Command, Lagos in October 2019.
The quest for proficiency has in recent times seen the Nigerian Navy engaging in trainings and even bilateral relationships with the Navies of other countries.
Constitutionally, the Nigerian Navy personnel are used to handling big weaponry mounted on warships, but due to the numerous security challenges, there has been an increase in their involvement in internal operations.
The Navy has big guns onboard warships like the 127MM and the 40MN but to tackle internal security issues, arms like FN Rifle, AK47 and Shooter `n’ Gear (SnG) are needed.
Due to their increased involvement in internal security, the Navy has continued to train and retrain its personnel through SAFEX to enhance their proficiency as well as enhance operational efficiency.
To become proficient in small arms handling, the Western Naval Command, from Oct. 17 to Oct. 19, organised SAFEX for its personnel at Owode, Nigeria’s border community with the Republic of Benin.
No fewer than 400 officers participated in the exercise which entailed shooting weapons such as FN Riffle, AK47 and SnG from 100m and 200m radius respectively.
However, speaking at the opening ceremony, the Flag Officer Commanding (FOC) Western Naval Command, said the exercise had given them opportunity of identifying marksmanship for inter-command and inter-service competitions.
“I enjoin everyone to take advantage of this unique opportunity to enhance their weapon handling proficiency and knowledge.
“I implore you all to remember the marksmanship principle as you approach the firing point, this will help in ensuring that you hit the bull,’’ he said.
He also thanked the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) for making the exercise a reality.
“This exercise would not have been possible without the timely approval of the Chief of Naval Staff to our arms and logistics request. So, I enjoin everyone to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
“Training all over the world is conducted to correct weaknesses and sustain strength. In achieving this objectives, training exercise will always be tough and physically challenging.
“This exercise therefore, will not be an exception considering the process you must have passed through right from the point of selection. I enjoin you all to apply yourselves during the exercise,’’ he said.
Major.-Gen. Olu Irefin, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 81 Division Nigerian Army, Bonny Camp, Lagos, at the opening said that there was no gainsaying the complexities and fluid nature of contemporary security challenges.
“It is against this backdrop that the Nigerian Navy and by extension the Western Naval Command deemed it fit to hold the exercise,’’ he said.
At the end of the exercise, the FOC, represented by the Chief Staff Officer, Western Naval Command, Rear Adm. Muritala Bashir, implored personnel not to forget what they had learnt.
“I’ll like to urge us that whatever we have learnt from this exercise, please, let it register in our memories because these are the skills you will need to apply when the need arises.
“Apart from the skills that must have been sharpened, we should be able to go a step further at our individual time to see how we can strip and assemble these weapons.
“Because during operation, these weapons could disappoint. And it is not enough for you to drop the weapon and stop firing as a personnel, find out what the problem is, strip the weapon and assemble and continue,’’ he said.
The ships include: the U.S. Naval Ship CARSON CITY, the French Navy Ship BOUAN, the Indian Navy Ship TARKASH and the Spanish CENTINELA and SERVIOLA.
The most recent one is the visit of Spanish Ship, ATALAYA, which berthed on the shores of Nigeria on Oct. 2 and departed on Oct. 5, for the strengthening of diplomatic ties between the Nigerian Navy and the Spanish Navy.
The Spanish Consular General, Mr Juan Anthony and the Commanding Officer of Spanish Naval Ship, Lt.-Commander Calvar, paid a visit to the Western Naval Command.
They were received by the Flag Officer Commanding (FOC) Western Naval Command, Rear Adm. Oladele Daji, for an exchange programme in training and also to boost bilateral relationships between both Navies.
These visits were aimed at strengthening bilateral ties between the countries to reinforce manpower capacity development through training and re-training of officers and men of the Navy.
While in Nigeria, series of training through naval exercises were conducted in line with the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Adm. Ibok-Ette Ibas’ mission.
The mission is to deploy a naval force that is well trained, organised and highly motivated to discharge its constitutional roles professionally and efficiently for the defence of Nigeria in ensuring her economic prosperity.
While leaving on Oct. 5, the Nigerian Navy, as part of its culture, performed passage exercise for the Spanish Navy ship with series of exercises.
The Nigerian Navy ship (NNS) EKULU, NNS NGURU and some NNSSBS boats as well as Nigerian Navy helicopters sailed with the ship on Passage Exercise for some nautical miles off Lagos Farwell Buoy.
Both Navies carried out several naval drills, including Opposed Vessel, Search Boarding, Seizure (VBSS), Fleet Manoeuvers, Communications and Helicopters operations.
The combined exercise saw Nigerian Navy personnel board the Spanish Naval Ship ATALAYA with their Spanish counterparts doing the same.
It will be recalled that few months ago, Spanish Naval Ships CENTINELA and SERVIOLA visited Nigeria and conducted similar exercises. (NANFeatures)
**If used, please credit the writer as well as the Nigeria News Agency
- Eight men put to death in mass execution
- Young Blitzboks know all about patience and determination
- Towards advancing green business and circular economy in Africa
- Championing the Fight Against Infertility Stigmatization, the Melody Voice of Pres. Weah (By Hawa Dolley)
- A World Rugby Training in Mauritian schools
- No justice as journalist Kabendera slapped with heavy fines after months in jail
- SMW 2020: Use African visuals to project brands in Nigeria – Panel
- Mauritius launches its 2020 season with the QUIKRIP
- Next Einstein Forum Unveils Top 25 Innovators to Compete At Its Global Gathering
- 3 more die of Covid-19 in Iran, 95 test positive; 4 new cases in Iraq
- Social Media Week: Good sleep enhances productivity, life span
- Spanish opera star Placido Domingo apologizes to women after harassment claims – report
- FAO donates agriculture livelihood to 1,000 Cameroonian refugees
- NCF leads winter bird census at Hadejia-Nguru wetlands
- Prophet in court for allegedly sodomising teenage boys
- Turkey’s Erdogan says no agreement yet on 4-way Syria summit
- Agent in court over alleged N2m land fraud in Ogun
- We are committed to speaking for voiceless Nigerians–NUJ
- Institute produces 150 donkeys from 2010 to 2019-Director
- South Korea to launch mass coronavirus testing, U.S. pledges $1bn for vaccine
- Mahatir’s resignation: Malaysia’s opposition claims majority in parliament
- African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Applicant, clergy in court for allegedly threatening to kill trader
- President Beach Volleyball Cup: NVBF assures of grooming discovered talents
- When Operation AWATSE destroys pipeline vandals’ 200 illegal structures and shrine
- CBN, RIFAN task rice farmers in C’ River on loan repayment
- Melania Trump attends happiness class at Delhi school
- Bayelsa governorship tribunal: PDP withdraws petition against INEC, APC
- Don attributes UNN-SUG free, fair election to biometric voting
- UNIBEN Senate elects 3 new Deputy Vice Chancellors
- Customs FOU Zone “B” intercepts 400 bags of smuggled rice concealed under water melons
- Funding of Rugby drives Ghana Stakeholder Congress
- Federal lawmaker gives scholarship to 44 students
- Italy hosts summit with neighbouring countries on coronavirus crisis
- Ikeja Electric to refund customers for prepaid meters procured under MAP scheme
- London court holds hearing on Julian Assange’s extradition
- Hypertension, diabetes, risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease-Expert
- Alleged bribery: 2 bank staff testify in Sen. Shehu Sani’s trial
- 7 killed, 160 injured in violence over India’s controversial law
- Sweden demands release of Hong Kong bookseller
- Absence of judge stalls report of settlement in N100m suit
- Flash: Kaduna Assembly Speaker resigns
- Gov. Mohammed appoints GM for Bauchi State Agricultural Supply Coy
- Africa’s energy transition gains traction as Siemens Gamesa introduces renewable energy in Djibouti
- 112-year-old Japanese man, world’s oldest living male, dies
- Paracetamol: Health experts raise alarm over food enhancers as NAFDAC beams searchlight on restaurant operators in Northeast
- Novartis and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) to collaborate on the development of a new oral drug to treat Visceral Leishmaniasis
- On the grants for studies in Belarus in the academic year 2021/2022
- Insecurity: BMO urges military to maintain winning streak
- Subscribers want FG, NLC to stop developer from selling civil servants land in Apo-Tafyi
- Liverpool fight back against West Ham to continue winning streak
- Kano Govt to buy N98m kits for 1,792 football clubs
- Anonymous donor offers N400,000 lifeline to 4 blind students in Kebbi
- ‘Amotekun’ will attract more investors, improve Nigeria’s economy, says Gani Adams
- Zamfara: Tsafe LG chairman, others dump APC for PDP
- Gov. Matawalle appoints fmr DIG as security adviser
- Late NSCDC officer’s colleagues mourn, eulogise her
- Foundation offers free medical treatment to 2, 000 patients in Bauchi
- FG begins implementation of N46.83bn agric scheme in Niger Delta – Minister
- Include Miyetti Allah members in Amotekun Corps – Bello
- Insecurity: NUJ president advocates constitutional role for monarchs
- Association of GenCos raises concern on electricity tariff review
- Nigerian in diaspora advocates effective data management
- UBEC partners UNICEF to address education challenges
- 30 injured as car crashes into German Carnival parade
- NiMet predicts dust, cloudy conditions for Tuesday
- Insurgency: Gov. Zulum commends Nigerians for special prayer for peace
- FG lauds SMEDAN MSMEs online registration programme
- Public Hearing: PDP, Agbekoya, others drum support for Amotekun in Lagos
- United Nations Calls for Nominations for Nelson Mandela Prize
- Insecurity: Defence college alumni backs community policing
- “Amotekun” Corps comes with positive result- Lagos Assembly Speaker
- Kaduna govt. rolls out scholarship package for students with disabilities
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes $10 million donation from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fight Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa
- Sanusi vs Kano Anti-graft agency: We still have suitable options – Chairman
- FG to introduce incentives to boost capital market investment — Finance Minister
- Aisha Buhari calls for harmony, re-examining of security structure to stem terrorism in Nigeria
- NDA convenes international conference on security
- Dangote boosts south East economy with N63billion investment in Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company (ANAMMCO)
- Updated; Rice production in Kano increases to 3m tonnes – Gov. Ganduje
- Sanitation: Mobile Court begins prosecution of environmental offenders
- France pledges $100m for WHO Academy
- Mambilla Power Project till now existed only on papers – Rep
- Miyetti Allah seeks members’ inclusion in Operation Amotekun
- Nasarawa Assembly advises doctors, other health workers against sharp practices
- NIS receives Gambian Immigration for mentoring
- Dutch Railway Company pays €32m to Holocaust victims
- Army urges residents not to panic as it commences shoot practice
- Lagos taskforce debunks online report on seized vehicles
- 5 dead, over 200 infected as coronavirus panic grips Italy
- BMO says NIRSAL’s 4m jobs big push for job creation, poverty alleviation
- Saudi, Egypt, Bahrain to resume Qatar post services despite dispute
- ‘Pioneering’ NASA mathematician, Katherine Johnson dies aged 101
- NGO sensitises Police, NDLEA, NSCDC, others against extra judicial killings
- Ekiti Govt. promotes 4,000 primary school teachers
- NAFDAC plans to go on pigin English on Radio, TV over illegal activities
- Artisanal miners attack Gemfields’ Mozambique ruby unit, injuring 4
- Court remands teenager over alleged theft of N340,000 from bank
- Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein found guilty of sex crimes
- We ‘ll ensure Operation Amotekun is not politicised – Ogun govt.
- Scientists, researchers to meet in Uganda over global health challenges
- Kwara NULGE crisis: Govt inaugurates 12-man committee
- I-G orders FCID to take over investigation into Kazeem’s death
- Panel recommends sanctions against police officers involved in brutality
- Ban: Tricycle dealers lament low patronage
- Togo president declares landslide election win, opponent slams ‘masquerade’
- Corrected: GAIM4: Fidelity Bank supports financial inclusion drive with N68md
- Romanian court scuppers vote of confidence in prime minister
- Eastern Libyan lawmakers refuse to join Geneva peace talks for now
- Alleged fraud: Nigerian Army, Gen. Otiki lays claim to forfeited N136m
- Businessman bags 10-year jail term over N30m fraud
- Car drives into German carnival parade, more than 30 reported injured
- Lesotho prime minister appears in court, but not charged
- Coronavirus outbreak not up to level of global pandemic
- Man bags 2 months in correctional centre for beating another with stick
- Donald and Melania Trump visit Taj Mahal, India’s monument to love
- Three bag 4 months community service over N1.5m aluminum pole theft
- Plane grounded in Mauritius
- English school children banned from heading ball amid brain disease fears
- Delta Education Commissioner advocates effective assessment for school development
- We need more funds to bridge digital literacy, says DBI President
- 2023: VON boss lauds El-Rufai over support for rotational presidency
- Number of expatriates drop in Nigeria’s oil and gas industries – Board
- Accident: Ogun TRACE warns cement companies against overloading trucks
- Gambia immigration officials visits Nigeria counterparts
- FG to include gender based violence, sexual health right in education curriculum
- Group urges parents to spearhead speaking of mother language
- Donald Trump, wife Melania visit Taj Mahal
- Panelists call for creative writing in social media content to attract users
- Assange would be suicide risk if extradited to U.S. – Lawyer
- Sell pressure: NSE market capitalisation opens week with N181bn loss
- Restore APC’s mandate in Zamfara, group urges Supreme Court
- Saving lives with solar power in Democratic Republic of Congo
- Gov. Umahi lauds Nigerian Army’s intervention in S/East
- 15 countries tighten travel restrictions on S. Korea as new coronavirus cases spike
- WHO partners Information Ministry on TB, NCDs eradication
- Pantami inaugurates committee on national digital economy policy
- Buhari meets security chiefs 24 hours after promising `hell’ for Boko Haram
- Gashash drags Army, DSS to court over ‘illegal arrest’
- SWM 2020: Experts urge adoption of digital technology to transform energy sector
- NSIA-LUTH treats 80 cancer patients daily– Finance Minister
- Reps threaten arrest of NDBDA mgt over failure to audit accounts
- Enugu govt. trains 120 women on agricultural food value chain – Official
- Former ECOWAS staff proffers solution to regional insecurity
- Edo Assembly lifts suspension on Akoko-Edo Vice Chairman
- Illegal refineries: Bayelsa communities seek end to pollution of Kolo Creek
- Aruna, Omotayo, Edem win first games at ITTF Africa Top 16 Cup
- Reviving cotton farming will strengthen economy, generate employment, lint exports — NABDA report
- SMW 2020: Agent banking an enabler of financial inclusion – Panelists
- Court orders full medical care for El-Zakzaky, wife
- A’Ibom monarch charges FG on development of oil communities
- Tokyo Games’ torch relay organisers take measures against coronavirus
- Raise the “total child”, Adekunle Gold tells parents
- Youth group backs move to secure Unijos land against encroachment
- Football Associations (FAs) in UK outlaw primary school children from heading in training
- Grass-cutter farming, money spinning business Nigerians can explore – Expert
- AMVCA 2020: In pure irony, the viewers’ choice does not count
- UNFPA Regional Director charges country offices on transformative agenda
- Electricity consumers oppose tariff increment by Ikeja Electric
- South China launches ultra-fast mask factory
- New American tennis sensation Gauff breaks into top 50 at age 15
- Alleged Unilag gang-rape: 5 undergraduates re-arraigned
- Chinese tourist attractions pledge to reinforce epidemic prevention measures
- NSE makes case for increased investment in gas to aid manufacturing
- LASG reiterates continuous training of artisans
- Why Nigerian farmers should cultivate Hass Avocado — Expert
- Security agencies beef up security in Ore ahead of President Buhari’s visit
- 23-year-old man docked for alleged possession of Indian hemp
- China’s pigs prices up by 2.6% in mid-February
- Kano plans law to stop indiscriminate felling of trees
- Synergy among security services very important in defeating terrorism – Olonisakin
- Gumel Emirate warns against illegal felling of trees
- Teenager docked for escaping from police custody
- China’s Central Bank voices confidence in fighting epidemic impact
- Buhari approves membership of National Humanitarian Coordination Committee
- WHO says no longer uses ‘pandemic’ category, but virus still emergency
- Man, 40 dies in Anambra hotel — Police
- Deceased NSCDC officer slumped in the police station 20 minutes after arriving – Witness
- Be wary of unlicensed real estate agents, govt warns Lagos residents
- Rape: 21-year sentence of Unilag ex-lecturer not stiff enough- FIDA
- Scientists, others to meet in Uganda April over global health challenges
- 2 tenants docked for alleged threat to kill landlord over rent
- Religious community strives to prevent further coronavirus infections
- NIMASA donates relief materials to 20, 000 displaced persons in Borno
- Former French premier Fillon’s trial postponed due to lawyers’ strike
- Over 22,000 people benefited from N1bn matching grant fund in Kebbi-MD, BoI
- Security: Delta Govt. donates 35 pick-up vans to police, others
- Iran nuclear parties to meet in effort to save deal
- WHO puts Africa’s readiness to tackle Coronavirus at 66%
- India, U.S. to sign defence deals worth more than $3bn – Trump
- 40 Italians refused entry in Mauritius to be flown back home
- Police in Ethiopia arrest 6 for suspected involvement in grenade attack
- How we rejuvenated Customs Volleyball team — Sports Secretary
- Gender-based violence: Group to train 40 women, girls on self-defence
- Niger Govt to boost electricity supply in its TV, Radio broadcast stations
- Libya’s warring parties draft ceasefire agreement
- Former Police boss says collaboration key to regional security
- Calls for sack of Service Chiefs, misplaced- Edo Deputy Governor
- Man drags estranged wife to court over failure to return children
- Plateau Govt. establishes Health Insurance Scheme, distributes 2.5m LLINs