Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday reassured Nigerians that Federal Government was committed to ensuring effective and cost reflective power supply in the country.
According to Osinbajo, this commissioning is an important part of government effort to improve supply and quality of power to homes and businesses in Nigeria.
“In past few years, resolving the power problem has been top priority of government of Nigeria.
“Today, we have about 13,427 megawatts installed capacity and available capacity of 8,342 megawatts.
“This was achieved through the effort of government and private sector partnership on rehabilitation of turbines in Shiroro Egbin, Delta, Sapele, among others,” he said.
He assured Nigerians that before the end of 2019, new generation was expected to be injected into the national grid to boost and increase power supply in the country.
Osinbajo said the distribution capacity in the 11 Discos were significantly low, hovering at around 4,000 megawatts on average with a peak at about 5,400MW.
He added that despite all the availability of about 8,000MW of generation and 7,000MW of transmission capacity, the lack of Disco infrastructure to absorb and deliver grid power to end-users had largely restricted generation to an average of about 4,000MW, and sometimes even falling below 4,000MW.
“It is evident that despite all efforts that has been put into trying to expand the grid, the structure of the market today cannot deliver on government’s promises to provide power for domestic and industrial use.
“A substantial change of strategy is necessary. There is clearly need for a change of strategy.
“What we have done in the past has taken us to a point where there is clearly a change of strategy,” he said.
He explained further that the 1×60MVA transformer at Otta would provide additional power supply via three 33KV feeders to Otta and its environs.
Besides, Ugbo underscored the importance of the projects and said they would impact positively on power supply to Abeokuta, Otta axis and Papalanto.
“Of note in these respects are the commissioning of the over 220KM long 330KV Double Circuit (DC) lines providing alternative supply route into Abuja and the FCT from Geregu.
“Through a new Lokoja substation, a new Gwagwalada substation into the existing TCN Katampe and Apo substations with several significant expansion works on existing substation developments along this route,” he said.
“Over time, all these facilities became overloaded and lacking capacity to cater to growing demands in these locations, necessitating NDPHC intervention.
“A schematic overview of the old status and NDPH intervention is attached for visual clarity,” he added.
The NDPHC boss said the company constructed a total of 77.5kms high capacity 132kV transmission Lines, thus providing near quadrupling of the supply (wheeling) capacity out of Otta (from 70MW to 250MW) and thereby eliminating supply constraints and attendant load shedding that had existed before at Otta, and Abeokuta.
The Managing Director, Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Mr Usman Mohammed, said 1.66 billion dollars had been secured from the World Bank and other multilateral financing agencies on network projects.
Usman said the financing was raised for the expansion of the national power grid.
He said the Nigeria Electricity Transmission Project, which sought to redress certain deficiencies and operating constraints of the power transmission system, was financed by the World Bank and was worth 486 million dollars.
“The project is in three stages; two phases have passed pre-qualification state while the third is still on pre-qualification stage.
He said the pre-qualification of the Northern Corridor project being funded by the French Development Agency (Agence Française de Développement) was almost completed.
“Environmental Impact Assessment is on-going, verification for compensation for the right of way is also on-going. The project loan is 300 million dollars,” he said.
Usman said the project design, EIA studies, technical studies and resettlement action plan had been concluded.
He said compensation request had been forwarded to the Bureau of Public Procurement for due diligence which was expected to be concluded in the third quarter of the year.
- No plan to stop Basic Healthcare Fund — Senate
- Cleric in court for alleged trespass
- Australia battling bushfires, bracing for hot weather, strong wind
- Court remands woman for allegedly abandoning 5-day-old baby
- Zambian president’s ex-spokesperson arrested over corruption
- Yuletide: FRSC advises motorists not to be distracted by family problems
- Appeal court dismisses Ogboru’s suit against Okowa’s election
- 2 die, 17 vehicles burnt in Sango-Ota tanker accident
- Kano custodial centre nabs suspected female drug trafficker
- Pakistan police investigate paedophile’s links to global network
- Police arraign man for allegedly stealing 1,692 cartons of engine oil
- Group urges Kaduna Govt. to strengthen nutrition delivery system
- Niger LG polls: Police ready to provide security
- Kogi Poll: Court adjourns suit challenging Gov. Yahaya Bello’s eligibility till Nov. 21
- IGP urges newly deployed CPs to partner stakeholders
- Appeal court affirms Okowa’s election as Delta governor
- Publisher in court over alleged N4m fraud
- Political parties in Chile agree on path to new constitution
- Why hike in cooking gas price may persist – Marketers
- Kogi Poll: Court begins hearing on suit challenging Gov. Yahaya Bello’s eligibility