The Federal Government says it is committed to gender-responsive procurement and strategies to ensure that women have equal access to jobs and contracts.
Amb. Mariam Katagum, Minister of State for Industry, Trade and Investment, made this known on Thursday in Abuja at the SheTrades Dialogue on “Promoting Women’s Economic Empowerment and Public Procurement in Nigeria”.
The dialogue was organised by the International Trade Centre (ITC) and the Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) to develop a framework to support increased participation of Women –Owned Business in public procurement in Nigeria.
Katagum, represented by Mrs Chioma Fidel, Deputy Director, Gender, applauded the SheTrades initiative which was inaugurated in Nigeria since 2016 aimed at connecting three million women to the global market by 2021.
The minister noted that gender equality and the empowerment of women were prerequisites for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the UN, setting forth an ambitious development agenda to 2030.
According to the minister, available statistics indicate that advancing women’s equality can add 28 trillion dollars to global Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by 2025, thus enabling economies to unlock their full potential.
Katagum stated that in Nigeria, this thrust was reflected in the National Gender Policy which focused on women empowerment, while also making commitment to eliminate discriminatory practices that were hampering women’s businesses.
“It is unfortunate that Nigerian women, as well as their counterparts around the world, continue to face significant challenges in their socio-economic endeavours.
“ Globally, when compared to their male counterparts, women entrepreneurs face disproportionate and complex barriers to accessing equal economic opportunities.
“These range from legal and regulatory hurdles to socio-cultural norms and gender biases,’’ she said.
As a signatory to the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action of 1995, she said that Nigeria was committed to gender-responsive procurement and the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights.
Katagum also said that the Federal Government was committed to the Joint Declaration of the 2017 Buenos Aires World Trade Organisation Ministerial Conference on Trade and Women’s Economic Empowerment.
This, she said, amongst others, acknowledged that improving women’s access to opportunities and removing barriers to their participation in national and international economies would enhance sustainable economic development.
“At the regional level, we have supported the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Supplementary Act on Gender Equality of 2015.
“At the national level, we have enacted the Public Procurement Act of 2007 and the Concession Regulatory Act of 2005, which govern public contracts in the country.
“At the state level, 23 out of 36 states have adopted the Public Procurement Act, other states are hereby urged to adopt the act,’’ the minister said.
Katagum said that in spite of the above, women’s participation in public procurement in Nigeria still remained low while procurement data, disaggregated by gender were not readily available.
Therefore, she said that gender-responsive procurement policy and practices should aim at understanding and addressing the barriers faced by women-owned businesses.
She noted that many UN members had also agreed to the principles of the 61st Commission on the Status of Women (March 2017) that specifically focused on increasing trade, procurement for women enterprises, cooperatives and self-help groups.
Urging for comprehensive efforts from all parties, she said that the ministry was poised to put in place policies and programmes to ensure dividends of the ‘’Change Agenda’’ of Federal Government.
According to the minister, Nigeria’s overall competitiveness and sustainable development depends on a reduction in gender disparities in all facets of development.
“SheTrades seeks the allocation of a minimum of 10 per cent corporate procurement to women-owned businesses. This approach will see to the participation of Nigerian women in global value chains,’’ she said.
Dr Judith Fessehaie, Policy Lead, ITC-SheTrades, said that it had three strategic agenda for 2020 which included bridging gap in women economic empowerment.
Fessehaie called for scale up of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and women participation in procurement, creation of ecosystem of integrated solutions and conducive atmosphere for businesses to thrive.
The National Coordinator, Women in Services, Mrs Nkeiru Okpala, identified lack of institutional framework, low experience, and inadequate information among others as impediments to procurement.
Okpala said that it would continue to advocate for gender-inclusive policies in the procurement act to attain SDGs.
She urged the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) to have a centralised registration of all companies interested in participating in procurement.
Edited By: Donald Ugwu
- Subscribers want FG, NLC to stop developer from selling civil servants land in Apo-Tafyi
- Liverpool fight back against West Ham to continue winning streak
- Kano Govt to buy N98m kits for 1,792 football clubs
- Anonymous donor offers N400,000 lifeline to 4 blind students in Kebbi
- ‘Amotekun’ will attract more investors, improve Nigeria’s economy, says Gani Adams
- Zamfara: Tsafe LG chairman, others dump APC for PDP
- Gov. Matawalle appoints fmr DIG as security adviser
- Late NSCDC officer’s colleagues mourn, eulogise her
- Foundation offers free medical treatment to 2, 000 patients in Bauchi
- FG begins implementation of N46.83bn agric scheme in Niger Delta – Minister
- Include Miyetti Allah members in Amotekun Corps – Bello
- Insecurity: NUJ president advocates constitutional role for monarchs
- Association of GenCos raises concern on electricity tariff review
- Nigerian in diaspora advocates effective data management
- UBEC partners UNICEF to address education challenges
- 30 injured as car crashes into German Carnival parade
- NiMet predicts dust, cloudy conditions for Tuesday
- Insurgency: Gov. Zulum commends Nigerians for special prayer for peace
- FG lauds SMEDAN MSMEs online registration programme
- Public Hearing: PDP, Agbekoya, others drum support for Amotekun in Lagos
- United Nations Calls for Nominations for Nelson Mandela Prize
- Insecurity: Defence college alumni backs community policing
- “Amotekun” Corps comes with positive result- Lagos Assembly Speaker
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes $10 million donation from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fight Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa
- Sanusi vs Kano Anti-graft agency: We still have suitable options – Chairman
- FG to introduce incentives to boost capital market investment — Finance Minister
- Aisha Buhari calls for harmony, re-examining of security structure to stem terrorism in Nigeria
- NDA convenes international conference on security
- Updated; Rice production in Kano increases to 3m tonnes – Gov. Ganduje
- Sanitation: Mobile Court begins prosecution of environmental offenders
- France pledges $100m for WHO Academy
- Mambilla Power Project till now existed only on papers – Rep
- Miyetti Allah seeks members’ inclusion in Operation Amotekun
- Nasarawa Assembly advises doctors, other health workers against sharp practices
- NIS receives Gambian Immigration for mentoring
- Dutch Railway Company pays €32m to Holocaust victims
- Army urges residents not to panic as it commences shoot practice
- Lagos taskforce debunks online report on seized vehicles
- 5 dead, over 200 infected as coronavirus panic grips Italy
- BMO says NIRSAL’s 4m jobs big push for job creation, poverty alleviation
- Saudi, Egypt, Bahrain to resume Qatar post services despite dispute
- ‘Pioneering’ NASA mathematician, Katherine Johnson dies aged 101
- NGO sensitises Police, NDLEA, NSCDC, others against extra judicial killings
- Ekiti Govt. promotes 4,000 primary school teachers
- NAFDAC plans to go on pigin English on Radio, TV over illegal activities
- Artisanal miners attack Gemfields’ Mozambique ruby unit, injuring 4
- Court remands teenager over alleged theft of N340,000 from bank
- Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein found guilty of sex crimes
- We ‘ll ensure Operation Amotekun is not politicised – Ogun govt.
- Scientists, researchers to meet in Uganda over global health challenges
- Kwara NULGE crisis: Govt inaugurates 12-man committee
- I-G orders FCID to take over investigation into Kazeem’s death
- Panel recommends sanctions against police officers involved in brutality
- Ban: Tricycle dealers lament low patronage
- Togo president declares landslide election win, opponent slams ‘masquerade’
- Corrected: GAIM4: Fidelity Bank supports financial inclusion drive with N68md
- Romanian court scuppers vote of confidence in prime minister
- Eastern Libyan lawmakers refuse to join Geneva peace talks for now
- Alleged fraud: Nigerian Army, Gen. Otiki lays claim to forfeited N136m
- Businessman bags 10-year jail term over N30m fraud
- Car drives into German carnival parade, more than 30 reported injured
- Lesotho prime minister appears in court, but not charged
- Coronavirus outbreak not up to level of global pandemic
- Man bags 2 months in correctional centre for beating another with stick
- Donald and Melania Trump visit Taj Mahal, India’s monument to love
- Three bag 4 months community service over N1.5m aluminum pole theft
- Plane grounded in Mauritius
- English school children banned from heading ball amid brain disease fears
- Delta Education Commissioner advocates effective assessment for school development
- We need more funds to bridge digital literacy, says DBI President
- 2023: VON boss lauds El-Rufai over support for rotational presidency
- Number of expatriates drop in Nigeria’s oil and gas industries – Board
- Accident: Ogun TRACE warns cement companies against overloading trucks
- Gambia immigration officials visits Nigeria counterparts
- FG to include gender based violence, sexual health right in education curriculum
- Group urges parents to spearhead speaking of mother language
- Donald Trump, wife Melania visit Taj Mahal
- Panelists call for creative writing in social media content to attract users
- Assange would be suicide risk if extradited to U.S. – Lawyer
- Sell pressure: NSE market capitalisation opens week with N181bn loss
- Restore APC’s mandate in Zamfara, group urges Supreme Court
- Saving lives with solar power in Democratic Republic of Congo
- Gov. Umahi lauds Nigerian Army’s intervention in S/East
- 15 countries tighten travel restrictions on S. Korea as new coronavirus cases spike
- WHO partners Information Ministry on TB, NCDs eradication
- Pantami inaugurates committee on national digital economy policy
- Buhari meets security chiefs 24 hours after promising `hell’ for Boko Haram
- Gashash drags Army, DSS to court over ‘illegal arrest’
- SWM 2020: Experts urge adoption of digital technology to transform energy sector
- NSIA-LUTH treats 80 cancer patients daily– Finance Minister
- Reps threaten arrest of NDBDA mgt over failure to audit accounts
- Enugu govt. trains 120 women on agricultural food value chain – Official
- Former ECOWAS staff proffers solution to regional insecurity
- Edo Assembly lifts suspension on Akoko-Edo Vice Chairman
- Illegal refineries: Bayelsa communities seek end to pollution of Kolo Creek
- Aruna, Omotayo, Edem win first games at ITTF Africa Top 16 Cup
- Reviving cotton farming will strengthen economy, generate employment, lint exports — NABDA report
- SMW 2020: Agent banking an enabler of financial inclusion – Panelists
- Court orders full medical care for El-Zakzaky, wife
- A’Ibom monarch charges FG on development of oil communities
- Tokyo Games’ torch relay organisers take measures against coronavirus
- Raise the “total child”, Adekunle Gold tells parents
- Youth group backs move to secure Unijos land against encroachment
- Football Associations (FAs) in UK outlaw primary school children from heading in training
- Grass-cutter farming, money spinning business Nigerians can explore – Expert
- AMVCA 2020: In pure irony, the viewers’ choice does not count
- UNFPA Regional Director charges country offices on transformative agenda
- Electricity consumers oppose tariff increment by Ikeja Electric
- South China launches ultra-fast mask factory
- New American tennis sensation Gauff breaks into top 50 at age 15
- Alleged Unilag gang-rape: 5 undergraduates re-arraigned
- Chinese tourist attractions pledge to reinforce epidemic prevention measures
- NSE makes case for increased investment in gas to aid manufacturing
- LASG reiterates continuous training of artisans
- Why Nigerian farmers should cultivate Hass Avocado — Expert
- Security agencies beef up security in Ore ahead of President Buhari’s visit
- 23-year-old man docked for alleged possession of Indian hemp
- China’s pigs prices up by 2.6% in mid-February
- Kano plans law to stop indiscriminate felling of trees
- Synergy among security services very important in defeating terrorism – Olonisakin
- Gumel Emirate warns against illegal felling of trees
- Teenager docked for escaping from police custody
- China’s Central Bank voices confidence in fighting epidemic impact
- Buhari approves membership of National Humanitarian Coordination Committee
- WHO says no longer uses ‘pandemic’ category, but virus still emergency
- Man, 40 dies in Anambra hotel — Police
- Deceased NSCDC officer slumped in the police station 20 minutes after arriving – Witness
- Be wary of unlicensed real estate agents, govt warns Lagos residents
- Rape: 21-year sentence of Unilag ex-lecturer not stiff enough- FIDA
- Scientists, others to meet in Uganda April over global health challenges
- 2 tenants docked for alleged threat to kill landlord over rent
- Religious community strives to prevent further coronavirus infections
- NIMASA donates relief materials to 20, 000 displaced persons in Borno
- Former French premier Fillon’s trial postponed due to lawyers’ strike
- Over 22,000 people benefited from N1bn matching grant fund in Kebbi-MD, BoI
- Security: Delta Govt. donates 35 pick-up vans to police, others
- Iran nuclear parties to meet in effort to save deal
- WHO puts Africa’s readiness to tackle Coronavirus at 66%
- India, U.S. to sign defence deals worth more than $3bn – Trump
- 40 Italians refused entry in Mauritius to be flown back home
- Police in Ethiopia arrest 6 for suspected involvement in grenade attack
- How we rejuvenated Customs Volleyball team — Sports Secretary
- Gender-based violence: Group to train 40 women, girls on self-defence
- Niger Govt to boost electricity supply in its TV, Radio broadcast stations
- Libya’s warring parties draft ceasefire agreement
- Former Police boss says collaboration key to regional security
- Calls for sack of Service Chiefs, misplaced- Edo Deputy Governor
- Man drags estranged wife to court over failure to return children
- Plateau Govt. establishes Health Insurance Scheme, distributes 2.5m LLINs
- Expert says technology innovations, redefining doctor/patient relationship
- Investing Pension Funds: Worries, Prospects by stakeholders
- Man, 54, docked for allegedly stealing N5m from cooperative society
- We are determined to implement govt’s objectives – LASUBEB
- Sunshine Stars FC condole with Remo Stars over player’s death
- 240 for finals of maiden Anaocha U-17 athletics championship
- Lesotho PM in court on suspicion of murdering wife, requests immunity
- Budget: Lagos council gives road, education, health priority in 2020
- Ramaphosa says S/Africa has enough resources for universal healthcare
- JAMB approves 9 CBT centres for UTME in Ebonyi-Coordinator
- NDLEA boss wants establishment of drug clubs in tertiary institutions
- Expert calls for adoption of organic farming system
- Reps’ utility vehicles: Group advocates part-time legislative houses to reduce cost of governance
- NGO conducts free dental screening for 100 pry school pupils in Lagos
- Family of slain footballer, Tiyamiyu, demands justice
- Alleged non-declaration of assets: Court dismisses charges against Ekweremadu
- Chinese govt. doing well in controlling virus spread — Namibian experts
- Zamfara Govt. to construct 25,000 Capacity Olympic Stadium
- China to postpone parliamentary meeting due to coronavirus outbreak
- Aghan national army commissions more than 1,500 youth
- Cooking with Paracetamol: NAFDAC pledges more enlightenment campaign
- Lawyer seeks police investigation into killing of 36 year-old bricklayer in Ondo
- Alleged assault: Absence of 4 FRSC officials stalls arraignment
- South Korea seeks ‘speedy resumption’ of U.S.-North Korea nuclear talks
- Man, 28, docked for allegedly stealing N3m truck
- Judiciary as catalyst for deepening democratic process
- NIMC enrolls 868,000 people, distributes 15, 523 cards in Bauchi
- Foundation appeals to FG to prioritise welfare of PWDs
- Igando-Ikotun LCDA supervisor identifies challenges facing farmers in Lagos
- Man pleads guilty to stealing railway signal lamp-holders
- Protecting midwives on the front lines of the Ebola response
- Mechanic in court for allegedly stealing phone, N5, 000
- Raising 250,000 Euros for my CAS defence difficult, says Siasia
- Kaduna Sports festival to start March 2
- Court remands 36-year-old man for trafficking 5kg of cocaine
- Statement by the Chairperson on preparedness and response to the coronavirus disease in Africa
- Nwosu, Ajayi lose out, Anyancho picks ticket in Taekwondo Olympic qualifiers
- C/River hosts 36,000 Cameroonian refugees -SEMA DG
- Climate change takes toll on Zimbabwe’s natural habitat, UN deputy chief observes
- Constitution review: Resolve aspects of federal system via consensus – Ajulo
- Gridlock: FCTA bans early morning vehicle inspection, restricts truck movements
- UNSMIL Statement on Conclusion of Second Round of 5+5 Joint Military Commission Talks
- Coronavirus: NAFDAC boss says agency to intensify surveillance on drugs
- Financial markets under pressure as coronavirus spreads
- Court dissolves 7-year-old marriage over constant fighting
- China reports 150 new deaths from coronavirus outbreak
- Midnight fire razes four shops, property worth N2 m in Ife New Market
- Alleged N6.3bn fraud: EFCC re-arraigns ex-Gov. Jang, cashier
- l’ONU salue la mise en place d’un gouvernement d’union nationale
- Lawyer wants more experts in Lagos Multi-Door Court
- Recruit only locals into “Amotekun”, Yoruba World Congress urges SW states