The Federal Ministry for Environment on Tuesday said it would promote policies for nationwide sustainable awareness campaign on the importance of environmental protection.
Mrs Ibikun Odusote, Permanent Secretary of the ministry, made this known in Kaduna at the opening of the 13th meeting of the National Council for Environment (NCE).
The meeting has as its theme, Promoting Environmental Advocacy for Sustainable Development: A Panacea for Achieving the Next Level Agenda.
According to her, the council would come up with policies that would create awareness on the consequences of neglecting the environment on the society.
She called for research and innovations to enhance sustainability of nature and securing quality environment conducive for good health and wellbeing of fauna and flora.
“Therefore, the Ministry has sought to proffer solutions to challenges on environment in line with the current administration’s Economic Recovery and Growth Plan (ERPG)”, she said.
Earlier, Ibrahim Hussain, Commissioner, Kaduna State Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, said advocacy is a strong tool for promoting sustainable environmental protection practices.
“Many people in urban and rural areas may not be aware or are negligent of their environmental responsibilities.
“Wilful destruction of forests, poaching, dumping of refuse in drainages, illegal mining, buildings within areas liable to flooding are common place in our communities”, he noted.
He however said through comprehensive advocacy programmes, “I strongly believe that we can educate, sensitize, mobilize and convince people to be aware and responsive to their environment which will make enforcement and compliance easier.”
In a remark, Bolatito Bisesan, Director, Planning Research and Statistics, Federal Ministry of Environment, called on participants to generate a roadmap for reversing adversities in the sector and build a buffer to wedge the rapidly degrading areas.
Edited by Saidu Adamu/Maharazu Ahmed
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges