Federal Government will select a teaching hospital for Federal University Dutse (FUD), Jigawa, the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, said.
The minister made this known when he led a team from Federal Ministry of Health on a visit to the Jigawa Deputy Governor, Alhaji Umar Namadi in Dutse on Monday.
He said ” we are here to assess two tertiary health facilities in Jigawa in a bid to recommend a befitting teaching hospital for Federal University Dutse.
“We came with an open mind to select between the two tertiary health facilities of Rasheed Shekoni Specialist Hospital, Dutse and the Federal Medical Center, Burnin kudu,” he said.
Ehanire said that the selection was to enable medical students from FUD to acquire the prerequisite toward becoming health practitioners.
He added that ” whatever is the outcome of our assessment will be made known to Mr President for him to take final decision.
“However, by the grace of God, our recommendation will be in the best interest of both the university and the state.”
Earlier, the deputy governor said that the state government had handed over Rasheed Shekoni Specialist Hospital to the university to serve as its teaching hospital.
Namadi added that the state government was also working to ensure the provision of at least one functional secondary health facility in each of the 27 local government areas of the state.
The Emir of Dutse, Alhaji Nuhu Muhammad, urged the team to be fair in the selection, noting that “even though the two facilities are located within my emirate, I will plead with you to put into consideration the students who may be at the receiving end of your decision.”
The Vice-Chancellor of FUD, Prof. Fatima Batul-Mukhtar, said that the state government attached Rasheed Shekoni specialist hospital to the university about three years ago.
Edited by: Folasade Adeniran/ Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
- Insecurity: CSOs call FG to intensify effort to allow farmers access farmlands
- COVID 19: Foundation begins online medical intervention
- COVID-19: PTF reverts govt working hours to 8a.m. to 4p.m. for GL 12 upward
- NIPC boss considers Shoprite strategic investment in Nigeria
- UNDP, EU want strong legislation to end rape, violence against women
- Buhari sympathises with Lebanon over massive explosions
- Post-COVID-19: Feed miller urges youths to embrace agribusiness for sustainability to embrace agribusiness for sustainability
- COVID-19: United States lifts global travel advisory
- Prof. Sule, Plateau SUBEB boss, gets fresh tenure
- SSANU, NASU threaten strike over unresolved issues with FG