The 15-year-old American phenom was forced to dig deep to become the youngest player since Anna Kournikova in 1996 to reach the third round of the women’s singles at Flushing Meadows.
“I was tested a lot. I think we both were just testing each other,” Gauff said. “It’s just that type of match where anyone could have won.”
Gauff rode into this year’s tournament with enormous expectations after a dream run at Wimbledon where she beat five-times champion Venus Williams on her way to the fourth round.
On Thursday, the two players were evenly matched for most of the contest, with Gauff maintaining a slightly tighter performance and committing 34 unforced errors compared to 42 from Hungarian Babos.
It was another comeback for Gauff, who worked her way back from a one-set deficit in her first-round match, and the young upstart showed off her fighting instincts after failing to fend off a critical break point late in the second set.
“I thought that the first set, I definitely was in control. In the second set, she raised her level and I wasn’t able to finish the set,” Gauff said.
A fired up Gauff prevailed after a 12-stroke rally late in the third set to set up a break point opportunity, pumping her fists wildly and shouting in excitement in front of a packed crowd that was firmly on her side.
“I couldn’t even see any empty seats!” Gauff said of the crowd, which included retired NBA star Kobe Bryant.
“I don’t even know how to really thank you guys. I’m super honored to be American and play in New York City.”
Gauff will face off against 21-year-old Osaka, who also holds the Australian Open title, in the third round of the tournament on Saturday in a clash that may provide a glimpse at the future of the women’s game.
“Obviously she’s an amazing player,” said Gauff. “She’s defending champion. She’s won two slams. She’s number one. She’s only 21.
“We’re both pretty young. But I’m a little bit newer to the game. So I’m just curious to see how my game matches up against her.” (Reuters/)
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
- 2 Abuja varsity students in court over alleged conspiracy in the drowning of friend
- Bill for Imo lotteries board scales 2nd reading
- INEC meets Oke Ogun, Ogbomoso communities over location of Oyo North collation centre
- Human Rights Day: NHRC, others call for youth involvement in decision making
- Nigeria banks remain stable, says NDIC
- Inability to screen EFCC second witness hinders Maina’s trial
- South Sudan rebel leader arrives Juba to resolve outstanding issues
- Teenage student bags 1 year jail term over sexual encroachment on stepmother
- WISTA @ 25: Girl-child education fulcrum for balancing gender gap — Minister
- IFAD-CASP distributes 760 pumping machines to Zamfara communities
- Enugu Assembly moves to probe contractors of failed projects
- Why Plateau is Nigeria’s 2nd least corrupt state – Lalong
- FG to release LPG pricing template in 2020
- U.S. Democrats unveil impeachment charges against Trump
- Cars 45 expands to Ghana, Kenya — CEO
- S. African president cuts trip short over electricity crisis at home
- Kogi PDP Women Leader’s death: Police parade 6 suspects
- Emirates emerges World’s leading Cabin Crew 2019
- Yuletide: NSE market capitalisation shed N143bn
- Insurance recapitalisation exercise will strengthen sector’s growth, development — Onyema
- How Crawford University becomes Nigeria’s “Most Peaceful Campus” — VC
- Lalong urges foreign investors to return to Plateau
- Development levy: Politician drags ESUT, Enugu government to court
- Use social media for development, Activist urges youths
- NCC boss urges FG to remain competitive to fulfill local content
- UNICEF says 1,727 children reunite with families in Borno
- NUC approves 29 new programmes for Lokoja Federal Varsity
- Gov. Matawalle denies involvement in arrest of opposition members
- Sowore: Reps to investigate invasion of court
- CBN expects 2.38% GDP growth by Q4
- Include gender policy in constitution, ex-senator suggests
- IBB varsity gets new VC
- National Identity Programme requires funding, commitment to succeed says NIMC DG
- Chile Air Force says cargo plane crashed with 38 onboard
- Reps laud army’s innovative stride
- Reps laud army’s stride in innovations
- Rotary Club offers free medical treatment to 100 people in Ibadan
- Senate mandates committee to investigate unremitted stamp duty fund
- Minister reiterates need for synergy in power sector
- NYSC urges Plateau Govt. to complete permanent orientation camp
- Association donates essentials to motherless babies in Kwara
- Ministerial negotiations begin at UN climate conference
- DisCos increase revenue collection by N43bn in one year
- Commission tasks MDAs on improved IGR for capital projects
- Algeria set for presidential election denounced by protesters as charade
- Psychiatrists identify causes of high incidents of suicide in Nigeria
- NYSC Governing Board commends Plateau Govt. over provision of permanent orientation camp
- WTO ban on tariffs for digital trade extended until June 2020
- Police arraign 46-year-old mechanic for allegedly stealing bus
- Border Closure will ensure more transparency, integrity in auto market – Cars45