A 39-year-old financial manager, Emmanuel Otu, on Friday appeared in a Yaba Magistrates’ court in Lagos, for allegedly defrauding an NGO of N3.2million.
Otu, who resides in Unity estate, Egbeda area of Lagos, is charged with four counts of fraud, abuse of office, stealing from his employer and breach of peace.
The Prosecution Counsel, Sgt. Godwin Oriabure, told the court that the defendant committed the offence between May and July 29, at Grooming People for Better Livelihood Centre, Plot 120, Ikotun-Egbe road, Ejigbo, Lagos.
He alleged that the defendant forged loan documents in fake names and approved N1.1 million to himself.
The prosecution also alleged that the defendant forged bank deposit slips, claiming that he deposited N2.1million, loan repayments, on behalf of the NGO, deposits he never made.
Oriabure told the court that the NGO discovered the alleged misappropriation during an audit which was traced back to the defendant.
He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 73, 287(7), 168(d) and 370 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
The Nigeria News Agency reports that both Sections 370 and 287 (7) stipulate seven-year jail term each while Section 73 provides for five years imprisonment for any convicted offender.
Magistrate S.O Obasa admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Obasa ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed, and should have landed properties within the court’s jurisdiction.
She adjourned the case until Sept. 11 for mention.
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges