Fire on Sunday destroyed 15 shops and damaged other property at the Owode-Oniri Market in Lagos State.
The Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, told the Nigeria News Agency at the scene that the fire started at 10: 27a.m.
NAN reports that a LASEMA team was on hand to put out the fire.
The director-general said that the fire emanated from one of the several lines of shops in the market.
“The cause of the fire is still unknown as there is no power supply within the market.
“No life was lost but valuable items were destroyed, though the spread of fire is being curtailed.
“We have counted the shops, about 15 of them were gutted by fire,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.
Oke-Osanyintolu said that the fire started from the metal segment of the market, making traders to call 767/112 channel of the agency.
He said that LASEMA coordinated the response to the fire, adding that it got support from the Lagos State Fire Service and market union officials.
Edited & Vetted By: Mustapha Sumaila/Ijeoma Popoola
- Wake-up to delivering democracy dividends, Gbadamosi urges Sanwo-Olu
- Yuletide: FRSC deploys 1,500 personnel to Kano highways
- FG commends Dangote’s $30bn domestic revenue generation drive, road constructions
- School feeding: NGO commends KDSG for setting up structures to curb corruption
- ACF condemns killing of aid workers by Boko Haram terrorists
- Adiyan Waterworks: Lagos govt. earmarks N600m to compensate property owners
- Greenwood strikes again to salvage home draw for Manchester United
- World Bank APPEALS project: 350 beneficiaries graduate in Lagos
- Shun evil, move closer to God for peace, unity to reign in Nigeria- Cleric urges Nigerians
- Bauchi: 1,000 exhibitors to participate in North East trade fair—-official
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21