Early morning downpour that occurred in Abeokuta metropolis on Saturday had created problem of flood for some residents and motorists in the city.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the heavy downpour had destroyed many property in the affected areas, especially houses at the back of Ogun River.
Among the property destroyed were personal belongings of some people which were washed away by the flood and also the destruction of building fence in other areas.
Mostly affected areas included Kuto, Isale-Igbein, Lanfewa, Amolaso, Ijeun-Titun, Ago-Ijesa, Abiola way, Isale Abetu, Sokori, Igbore, Oke Mosan and Isale Ake area, all in Abeokuta South and North Local Government Areas of the state.
A NAN correspondent who visited some of the areas; reports that residents were counting their losses and pleaded with the state government to come to their rescue.
The popular Ogun River was filled to the brim while vehicles on the roads were trapped in the flood.
Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, the Spokesman, Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps (TRACE) in Ogun, said that
officers from the command had been deployed to control traffic.
Akinbiyi explained that the command had already issued traffic alert informing motorists about the state of the roads and where they should ply.
“Those going through inward and outward should not pass through Leme axis because of the flooding. They should go through Kuto so that they can navigate their route down to Idi Aba and other areas.
“Our men are at the Governor’s office axis, Iyana mortuary, Sapon, Ibara under bridge and Brewery area, to ensure the roads are free of crashes,” he said.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Adeleye Ajayi (NAN)
- International Youth Day: Atiku tasks youth on fight against COVID-19
- New CIS president unveils next level agenda
- NYSC strengthens partnership with research institute
- INEC fixes all pending by-elections for Oct. 31
- Auno: Borno Govt resettles 560 displaced families
- OYSG approves promotion, gratuity for 97 civil servants dismissed in 2012
- Economic Sustainability Plan: Association urges FG to engage private sector
- Sanwo-Olu Listens, gives succour to 50 vulnerable Lagosians
- Osun landlords groan over alleged “outrageous” Land Use charges
- EFCC arrests 3 corps members, 19 undergraduates for alleged internet fraud in Ibadan