Connect with us

Health

FMC Abuja resident doctors suspend strike

Published

on

The Association of Resident Doctors at the Federal Medical Centre (FCM), Jabi, Abuja, has suspended the ongoing strike at the hospital.

Dr Adejo Arome, the President of the association, at an emergency congress meeting on Wednesday, said the management of the hospital had shown enough commitment that necessitated the suspension of the strike.

He lauded the support and commitment of members for the duration of the strike, and also commended the hospital’s medical director for his understanding and unwavering commitment to end the strike.

He, however, called on the management of the hospital to immediately absorb locum doctors into the hospital, adding that their appointment should be regularised as soon as possible.

While declaring that the association would write the management of the hospital and its board to this effect, he said not absorbing locum doctors should, henceforth, not be allowed in the health sector.

According to him, locum staff, otherwise known as contract staff, should be fully engaged and assured of their job.

“When you are not at peace, you cannot work well. They should be enrolled on the IPPIS and made to get what their colleagues of the same cadre are getting,” he stated

He, however, warned that any form of intimidation on any member, including locum staff, corps members and others, would be resisted.

Arome reiterated the call for the transfer of Mr Bako Achi, one of the accountants in the hospital, to another department to forestall further showdown.

The Nigeria News Agency recalls that the association alleged that Achi had become a clog in the wheel of their progress.

According to him, the whereabouts of the shortfall of salary arrears should be investigated as the money was not disbursed in spite of it being paid into the hospital’s account in December 2019.

However, in his response, Achi said as a civil servant, he was not obliged to speak to the press as a rule.

“I am not obliged to speak. I am not the spokesperson of the hospital, we have human resources unit,” Achi said.

NAN also recalls that the resident doctors had on Monday embarked on a three-day warning strike as a result of nonpayment of shortfall arrears sent to the hospital in December.

Edited by: Moses Solanke/Muhammad Suleiman Tola

General news

COVID-19: FMC Abeokuta confirms death of policeman

Published

on

The Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Abeokuta, Ogun, has confirmed the death of a policeman who tested positive for coronavirus in the facility.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Head, Public Relations and Information of the hospital, Segun Orisajo, on Sunday in Abeokuta.
He also confirmed that two other members of staff of the hospital had tested positive for the virus.
Orisajo, however, dispelled the report that a medical doctor in the facility had contracted the deadly virus.
“The centre hereby confirms the case of three other patients, whose test results just returned positive.
“Two of them are members of staff of this centre, that is, a nurse and an administrative staff, which brings the total number to five.
“So far, no doctor in the centre has tested positive for coronavirus, contrary to some media reports.
“The deceased, a policeman, presented himself to the general outpatients department of the hospital about three days ago and later died same day.
“The result of his test returned this morning (Sunday) positive.
“His body is being prepared for release to his family for burial in strict compliance with the World Health Organisation’s guidelines,” he said.
Orisajo added that all the members of staff, who came in contact with the deceased, were currently on self-isolation.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

General news

COVID-19: FMC Abeokuta confirms death of pregnant woman

Published

on

The Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta, has confirmed the death a pregnant woman in the facility as a result of contracting coronavirus.
The Head of Clinical Services (HCS) of the hospital, Dr Fidelis Ojeblenu, made this known in a statement issued on Sunday in Abeokuta.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the hospital was thrown into confusion on Saturday, as people in and around the area took to their heels on hearing the news.
Ojeblenu said that two patients, a man and the expectant mother, had tested positive to COVID-19 at the hospital.
He stated that the man had since been transferred to one of the isolation centres in the state, adding that he was “clinically stable.”
Ojeblenu added that both patients were managed at the accident and emergency unit of the hospital and that they were isolated from other patients throughout their stay in the unit.
He also said that the members of staff, who attended to them, observed standard protocols, adding that contact tracing and decontamination had commenced.
“They were suspected cases right from the onset; hence, they were isolated from other patients and staff throughout their stay in the unit.
“Also the staff, who attended to them, observed the prescribed standard protocols and procedures.
“The standard practice of contact tracing and decontamination, among others, have commenced,” he said.
Ojeblenu, however assured that the hospital was “safe and generally calm”, stressing that anti-panic measures had been put in place and that necessary updates would be made available.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

General news

Palliative: Mrs Buhari donates foods, medics to FMC, women groups

Published

on

The First Lady, Mrs Aisha Buhari, has donated medical equipment to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Abuja, to support government’s efforts in the fight against Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nigeria.

Represented by Dr Hajo Sani, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Women Affairs and Administration, Mrs Buhari said the gesture was part of her effort to support vulnerable women in this trying times.

The first lady also donated food items to the Federal Ministry of Women for onward distribution to various women groups across the country to cushion the effect of lockdown.

She expressed her concern towards protecting the rights and privileges of women and children especially during these period of lockdown.

 

Mrs Buhari reaffirmed her readiness to remain commited in addressing the challenge of COVID-19 pandemic.

 

The Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs Pauline Tallen, received the items on behalf of her Ministry, while Prof. Sa’ad Ahmed, the Chief Medical Director of FMC, received the equipment on behalf of the hospital.

Tallen, who expressed gratitude to the first lady for identifying with women in this trying period, promised to ensure that the items were equitably distributed to the various women groups.

On his part, Ahmed said the items would go along way in assisting the health workers in carrying out their job.

The items donated include hand sanitisers, surgical masks and other medical equipment to support health workers in frontline to deliver effectively on their responsibilities.

The first lady also donated food items and other essential commodities, including rice, millet, milk, sugar, tomato paste and other nutritional commodities for the women.

Edited By: Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: Imo first index patient is in our facility- FMC, Owerri

Published

on

The Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Owerri, in Imo says the first index case of COVID-19 is currently receiving treatment at its isolation center, says the hospital spokesperson, Mrs Jacinta Achonu.

Achonu made the confirmation in Owerri on Sunday while briefing newsmen on the first report of Coronavirus case in the state.

“Yes, I can confirm to you that a COVID-19 patient of about 45 years was brought to the isolation center of FMC, Owerri about 2:30 pm and a team of medical experts is managing the situation,” she said.

She said the hospital management was unaware of the identity of the patient, but admitted that the patient was showing symptoms of Coronavirus.

“I don’t know the identity of the patient but we have been waiting for his arrival and he finally arrived on Saturday,” Achonu said.

The spokesperson said only the Nigerian Center for Disease Control (NCDC) could disclose the identity of the patient.

The News Agency of Nigeria NAN reports that the NCDC on Saturday announced first Index Case of COVID-19 in Imo.

The news of the case has apparently thrown Imo citizens into panic as some residents were seen withdrawing to their homes.

Edited By: Angela Okisor/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Health

House officer’s death not COVID-19 related — FMC Umuahia

Published

on

The Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Umuahia, has thrown more light on the death of the hospital’s house officer, Dr Jude Okpareke, saying that his death had no connection with COVID-19 pandemic.

News Agency of Nigeria recalls that Okpareke allegedly slumped and died in the hospital on Monday, the same day the Abia government announced that two patients on admission at the facility tested positive for coronavirus.

The news of the death, which went viral online, alleged that the deceased died while managing the COVID-19 patients in the hospital.

In a statement made available to NAN, the Medical Director of the facility, Dr Azubuike Onyebuchi, stated: “It is on a sad note I wish to inform you that we lost a new house officer, who just resumed duty four days prior to his demise.

“While this incident coincided with the diagnosis of two COVID-19 patients in our facility, I wish to state categorically that his death is in no way connected with COVID-19.”

Although he did not disclose the cause of the doctor’s death, he said that he (Okpareke) did not have any role in the management of the COVID-19 cases.

Speaking on the state of the COVID-19 patients in an interview with NAN, the FMC boss said that both patients were alive and doing well.

“The two index cases are at our isolation centre. They are alive and doing well.

“Do not mind the social media. They are the ones that wrote that one of the index cases has died,” he said.

He, therefore, urged members of the public to disregard the online report, describing it as “fake news”.

Onyebuchi said that contact tracing of all those who were involved in the management of the patients had began.

He also said that the hospital had begun the decontermination of the wards and different points where the patients stayed, including the Accident and Emergency Unit, Intensive Care Unit, Male Medical Ward and Ludlow Slessor Complex.

He said that the affected areas had been shut down and that nobody would be allowed to stay in those places within 48 hours after the decontermination.

“Meanwhile, all those who came in direct contact with these cases should start immediate 14-day self isolation and report to the facility if they observe any symptoms,” Onyebuchi said.

He advised the medical personnel not to attend to any patient without wearing a face mask, hand gloves and adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

“Likewise, staff are advised to continue to practice all the recommended public health practices – wearing of face masks, regular hand hygiene, environmental hygiene, social distancing and appropriate use of PPE,” he said.

NAN reports that medical services had returned at the hospital after the tension and anxiety generated by the news of the two confirmed COVID-19 cases on Monday.

Doctors and nurses were seen attending to patients on admission in the wards, except the Accident and Emergency Unit, Intensive Care Unity, Male Medical Ward and Ludlow Slessor Complex, which had been decontaminated.

Some patients were also seen being attended to at the Out-Patient Department and National Health Insurance Scheme Unit.

Edited By: Nyisom Dore/Donald Ugwu (NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

Coca Cola donates 6,000 bottle water to FMC, Ebute Meta

Published

on

The Nigeria Bottling Company, Coca Cola, on Tuesday donated six thousand bottles of water and drinks to the Federal Medical Centre, Ebute Meta, Lagos.

The company Manager, Public Affairs and Communications, Amaka Onyemelukwe, said the gesture was to support the health workers in the facility in their fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

“Coca Cola is deeply concern about the COVID-19 pandemic and the efforts of health workers at this critical period.

“This donation is made to support the frontline health workers for their sacrifice and dedication, so that they can have access to water and beverages.

“We have donated our products to isolation centres in the state, including LUTH, and this is just part of what we are doing.

“We decided to extend this gesture to FMC because of our relationship with the hospital, ” she said.

In his remarks, Dr Adedamola Dada, the hospital Medical Director, while receiving the donation, thanked Coca Cola for the gesture.

“We appreciate Coca Cola for this kind gesture to our hard working frontline workers for all they have done.

“This is a way of encouraging them for all they do,” he said.

Edited By: Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: Kebbi FMC bars relatives from visiting patients

Published

on

The Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin Kebbi, has suspended all visitations by relatives of patients to the hospital so as to curb the spread of coronavirus.

The suspension is contained in a statement issued by Alhaji Abdulmumin Bawa-Tauri, Head of Public Relations of FMC, in Birnin Kebbi on Sunday.

The statement said the measure was in line with social distancing measure, as directed of the Federal Government.

“The management of the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birnin Kebbi wishes to inform the general public that in its bid to curb the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the hospital, it has suspended all visitations by relatives of patients to the hospital with immediate effect.

“This is in line with the social distancing directive by the government,’’ it said.

The statement added that the number of caregivers for each patient on admission would be limited to a minimum of one at a time.

“Management has also applied a limit to all gatherings in the hospital in line with social distancing directives of the government.”

It enjoined all hospital community and the general public to ensure strict adherence to the directives. .

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde/Maharazu Ahmed
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

Buhari appoints Medical Directors for Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital Calabar, FMC Jalingo

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointments of Dr Bassey Eyo Edet and Dr Aisha Adamu as Medical Directors for Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital, Calabar, Cross River and Federal Medical Centre, Jalingo, Taraba, respectively.

The President’s spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, who confirmed this development in a statement in Abuja on Thursday, said Edet’s appointment as Medical Director, for an initial term of four years, took effect from March 25, 2020.

Edet hails from Akpabuyo Local Government Area of Cross River, and graduated from University of Calabar in 1998.

He is a Fellow of the National Postgraduate Medical College in Psychiatry, and also Fellow of the National Institute of Management Consultants.

Aisha Adamu is a Consultant Physician astroenterologist/Hepatologist.

She hails from Karin-Lamido Local Government Area of Taraba, and graduated from the University of Maiduguri in 1995.

She completed her Residency in 2008, and received Fellowship of the National Postgraduate Medical College.

”Her appointment as Medical Director for an initial term of four years takes effect from March 25, 2020,” the presidential aide further stated.

Edited By: Felix Ajide
(NAN)

 

 

Continue Reading

Health

COVID-19: FMC to produce hand sanitiser for Jigawa govt.

Published

on

The Jigawa government, on Monday, says it has concluded arrangements with the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Birninkudu, on production of hand sanitiser.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Abba Zakari, disclosed this during the distribution of disinfectants to all the 27 local government areas in the state.

Zakari, who is also the state’s Chairman of Task Force on COVID-19, said that the gesture was to ensure constant supply of sanitiser, as Nigeria was battling to contain spread of the virus.

“We have reached an agreement with FMC, Birninkudu, to produce hand sanitiser for us due to its scarcity.

“This is to ensure constant supply of the product, as states are battling to contain the spread of COVID-19.

“In fact, the FMC just sent a sample of the locally-produced hand sanitiser to us,” Zakari said.

He said that the distribution of the disinfectants was part of government’s efforts to curb the spread of the virus at the grassroots.

The commissioner added that the items were provided to disinfect the whole state against the pandemic.

The Nigeria News Agency reports that each local government was given one knapsack sprayers, one calcium hypocrite (45kg) and one carton of hand sanitiser (12x500ml).

Edited By: Chinyere Bassey and
(NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also