Its founder, Sen. Aliyu Wamakko, disclosed this in a statement issued by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Bashir Mani, on Monday in Sokoto.
Mani said Wamakko made the declaration on Monday in Abuja, when he picked 10 copies of forms for the establishment of The North West University of Science, at the National Universities Commission (NUC).
The former governor said the idea behind the establishment of the private university was to cater for the large number of students seeking university education in Sokoto State and neighbouring states of Kebbi and Zamfara.
“I have successfully defended my PhD Thesis in Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, so this is not to seek for any academic position in future, but to inspire the younger generation.
“I want to express my gratitude to the NUC for the unflinching support during my tenure in office as Sokoto State governor when I established the Sokoto State University,” he said.
Wamakko, who restated his commitment to enhancing education in his home state, said that was also what informed his policy of operating a free and compulsory education system during his two terms in office.
The statement quoted NUC Executive Secretary, Prof. Abubakar Rasheed, as lamenting the lack of private Universities in Sokoto axis to cater for the needs of the teaming populace, who are willing to subscribe to university education.
Rasheed commended the Senator for the initiative, which he said would enhance the standard of education in the area.
- South African Airways cancels almost all flights for Friday, Saturday
- 2 men in court over alleged unlawful possession of cartridges
- Nigerian Armed Forces shine at international sports
- 2 years since arrest, Cambodian journalists await spying verdict
- Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia
- Italian police seize over a tonne of cocaine in banana container
- Kogi elections: Group urges politicians to eschew violence, hate speech
- 17 injured in blasts at south-eastern Turkey Ammunition depot
- Philippines deports 312 Chinese nationals for telecom fraud
- Indian court delays ruling on ban on women entering Hindu temple
- Health Training Initiative increases accreditation status, academic performance – Registrar
- Oil rises after OPEC’s Barkindo says U.S. shale growth may slow in 2020
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business